• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to give a [thumbzup] to another vendor. I ordered some paint from RAPCO on Wed afternoon and it arrived Thur afternoon. Granted it shipped from Ft Worth to San Antonio but a 1 day turn around is awesome customer service.

Megadavel

Hey OneLapper,
i just acquired a pretty nice 1971 M561 Gama Goat and am in Central CT. I had my new tires put on yesterday and drove it down 91 South at 58 MPH to North Haven. Problem was when I got to the exit, I had no brakes a wheel locked up and started smoking. Flat bed got me home and I will be taking her apart ASAP. Drop a line and maybe we can meet up, it's always good to have another wrench too.
best Regards,
Dave

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't get much accomplished today. A major weather event moved through this morning and just didn't feel like doing much.

The primer sprayed yesterday went on extremely dry so I went back over it a bit to knock down the high spots. Hopefully tomorrow will be decent enough I can get the sealer and top coat sprayed.

I did install the ammo can rack. Just couldn't help putting something back together.

Also got some loaner mirror brackets from a friend in the mail today. I didn't realize they were quite so beefy. Hopefully the Metal Man Keith_J can fabricate something close so I can return these.

005.jpg004.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those brackets look like the ones on the second generation mirrors on the deuce/5 ton. I may have some.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got out early this morning and shot the sealer. One gallon wasn't enough to do the entire vehicle so I supplemented it with some rattle can primer. No ventilation in the shop so I had a pretty good cloud around the vehicle and got to the point where I couldn't really see much so it was as close to "shot in the dark" as I could get without shutting the lights off.

I had just opened the overhead door (picture Spicolli rolling out of the van in Fast Times At Ridgemont High) when Keith_J showed up. We dusted some of the front where the overspray had settled like dry oatmeal and then he suited up and shot a coat of color. The top coat went on much better than either of the undercoats. I still need to pull it out of the shop into some sunlight to get some spots that were missed and the entire crew compartment needs done yet. Getting closer though.

001.jpg002.jpg

OneLapper

Hey OneLapper,
i just acquired a pretty nice 1971 M561 Gama Goat and am in Central CT. I had my new tires put on yesterday and drove it down 91 South at 58 MPH to North Haven. Problem was when I got to the exit, I had no brakes a wheel locked up and started smoking. Flat bed got me home and I will be taking her apart ASAP. Drop a line and maybe we can meet up, it's always good to have another wrench too.
best Regards,
Dave
Dave, PM sent

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dub thee officially "UNYELLOW!" Still not going to change the name though.

With luck Monday may be rain free and I can get it outside and finish things up. If not I'll try and get some more light in the shop and finish there. One things some of you might have noticed (but I did not until a little bit ago) is that there is no tailgate. It's sitting on the other side of the shop with crap piled around it from clearing this side. I need to dig it out and paint it as well. Stencilling is going to have to wait until after the show next week but should be done before the Temple Air Show the 1st weekend in May.

005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg

Keith_J

I feel de-vaporized now...shooting color wasn't bad at first, after the third cup, I started to smell xylene, the reducer. No real CNS effects, guess the cartridges might be nearing replacement. When I started, acetone was the solvent I smelled, that is easily tolerated.

Another Ahab

I feel de-vaporized now...shooting color wasn't bad at first, after the third cup, I started to smell xylene, the reducer. No real CNS effects, guess the cartridges might be nearing replacement. When I started, acetone was the solvent I smelled, that is easily tolerated.
I don't doubt you that it's easily tolerated:

- But is it recommended at all to be snorting the stuff, more than incidentally!?

Keith_J

As long as you aren't diabetic, your body handles it fine. Enzymes are present to deal with occasional exposure. If you go into ketoacidosis frequently, you are already exposed so that becomes chronic.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll check on some new cartridges but when you paint once every 5 years or so it tends to get forgotten.

Keith_J

I'll check on some new cartridges but when you paint once every 5 years or so it tends to get forgotten.
Probably just need a little bake out of the cartridges. Acetone easily overloads cartridges as it evaporates FAST. Last year when we did our house floors, we sprayed a gallon of acetone stain in about 15 minutes. That is a fire hazard. No respirator would last any time.

The floor finish wasn't much better, took 24 hours to get the smell out of the house.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking real good. Was clear enough this afternoon and I got my chassis painted. Hope you get the same weather tomorrow.
It was clear enough that I got the front wheels painted today. I spent about an hour taping the 1st one off so as not to get any overspray on the tire. After that I just shot the 2nd one straight. It's a junk tire and a REALLY junk wheel and besides, every wheel I ever saw painted while in the service was shot free hand so I think I'm in decent company.

Actually the real reason I just freehanded the 2nd one is because I just bought a replacement. Well a couple of replacements. Ok, I bought 36 replacements. I won't be getting them until June but I should be okay for spares for a while. I don't know why my wife says I go overboard sometimes.

tires2.jpgtires1.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weather was clear enough today to add another coat of paint. I've been running around so much trying to get everything done for this weekend that I almost forgot my NOS tailgate. Unfortunately it was on the other side of the shop (reason I forgot it) buried behind the radial arm saw and the M37. It took a while but I finally managed to get it outside and on some sawhorses.

I spent most of the morning getting things ready to paint like jacking the back 2 axles up to pull the rear 4 wheels. I also reinstalled some of the smaller items to shoot them with the gun versus just a rattle can. After Keith had shot the 1st cover coat on Saturday it was easy to come to the conclusion that there is just not enough light in my shop to paint a vehicle, especially a dark vehicle, so I hit Home Depot this morning and got some work lights that helped tremendously.

I'm sure I've missed some spots but I have a bunch of friends this weekend that will gleefully point and say "you missed a spot." Luckily I've still got half a dozen rattle cans I can take with me for on the fly touch ups.

I've come to the realization that for as long as I own this (and I've promised the wife it's a keeper) I'll continue to find 3 things. There will always be media from the blaster, mud from NC, and some yellow paint somewhere. It's just part of owning the Waffle House Express.

002.jpg001.jpg005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks