• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the MKT

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An MBU with the straight 'flush' fit are MBU-100's that were upgraded to the V-3 spec. If they have the 'bow', they were made originally as V-3's (MBU-103). When first starting them, you can hold in the 'start' button for up to 30 seconds at a time, no more than four times before pulling the unit out and replacing it. HTH.2cents

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one's that have the "bump" in the front are the one's that were built as V3's. The one's without the bump are usually 100's that have been converted to V3's. Speaking of which if anyone has some 100's they want to convert I have some of the new fuel block upgrades to make them V3's.
One of the things I love about this site is you can learn something new every day (you and Mike must have been typing at the same time).

Do you have a little "v3" sticker to go with that upgrade? ;)

MitchG

Yeah they actually come with three stickers. One is the large sticker above the control knob, one is the smaller one below the knob and the other is a new sticker for the serial number tag on the back.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much happening on the unit over the winter but I did pick up some more goodies for it this weekend.

The first picture is of the inside of the ice chest. I got the plastic tray that goes on the bottom to keep things up off the floor and the metal divider that'll seperate the ice from what you're trying to keep cold.

The second picture is of another griddle (#3 now), additional grease catcher, 2 sides of the grease splash shield (I'm missing the short side on the trailer now) and a never used Cambro beverage container.

I got a couple of other small things (some add'l tail lights, latches, rubber mats) all thanks to thtrev2001. He's got loads of stuff if anyone is looking.

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mkcoen,

VERY INFORMATIVE.

I'd read something new, stop... go out and look at my trailer... come back and keep reading... see something else new, stop...

REPEATED this several times

THANK YOU!!

gonna need to start making lists of things needed and start cleaning and inspecting

I already know I need to have two brackets on the rear fabbed up and welded on - the far left bracket that holds a Nato Jerry can is missing - you can see the outline of where the old weld was --- the other bracket is the one covering the left brake light that one of the folding ramps has a pin that drops into that bracket - again you can see the outline of where the old bracket used to be

so, both of those will need to be fabbed up and installed - I'll probably go to a trailer place or a muffler shop that can do aluminum - and fortunately there are examples OF each bracket on the trailer so that's the easy part

This MKT-75A appears to be in very good shape needing minor repair or refurb, but over all it's great

and I'm probably going to do an axle swap and put under it a 10k axle on 8 lug wheels with electric brakes - so I can run the same tires that are on my dually - gives me the ability to carry several spares - and install an electric brake controller on the dually so the trailer will pull AND stop easily

and I like your suggestion - I may just add my work here - that keeps it all in one thread

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're not pulling it with a deuce the new axle and electric brakes will be nice. I've pulled mine a couple times with my F250 and it pulled great and stopped well too but I was always concerned about it (of course it wasn't like I was pulling a gooseneck with a dump truck on it or anything).

I've had a blast with mine at all of the events I've been at. It's amazing how many people come up and say they used to work on them. More times even than the deuce or the M1010.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wallew,

Most of us have removed the fuel can brackets because we don't like the idea of:
1. being hit in the fuel cans by someone who can't see 'camo' on the road.
2. having a can 'borrowed' when we make a pit stop on the road.
3. forgetting to remove the can when setting up the MKT.
4. remembering to secure the cans when we pack up.
5. using two front travel covers because the rear ones are unobtanium!
Just my 2cents

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wallew,

Most of us have removed the fuel can brackets because we don't like the idea of:
1. being hit in the fuel cans by someone who can't see 'camo' on the road.
2. having a can 'borrowed' when we make a pit stop on the road.
3. forgetting to remove the can when setting up the MKT.
4. remembering to secure the cans when we pack up.
5. using two front travel covers because the rear ones are unobtanium!
Just my 2cents
I removed the center bracket on my trailer and put my license plate there. While the other reasons for removing them are valid I'm kind of stubborn about things and like the look of the trailer with a couple of cans on it (plus I already have the rear travel cover). Makes it look more authentic.

Attachments

M1031CMT

Those grease splash guards are pretty rare. They might as well be plated in gold. We have a spare set we got out of the MKT we stripped just in case we loose a set out of the other units. Sadly the griddle in the stripped MKT was extremely warped. No idea how they warped it that bad (one side was sitting 1 inch higher than the rest of the griddle) but we didn't bother to try and fix it so we just scrapped it. It is too bad, as we would have liked to have put two griddles in one of the MKT's.

We don't use the jerry can brackets either. We either put the cans in the MKT or in the back of the deuce.

wallew: Great idea to change the axle if you are not pulling it with a deuce. It will be much safer as you will have a way to actually stop the thing in a hurry if needed.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is too bad, as we would have liked to have put two griddles in one of the MKT's.
I know that thtrev2001 has 1 or 2 griddles for sale but the shipping might be cost prohibitive unless you can utilize the SS Express. I have 3 (2 on trailer and 1 spare) of which one is warped a bit. I wonder if they had someone throw cold water on the hot griddle. Not sure if that'd be enough to warp that much cast iron but definitely not a good idea.

M1031CMT

Yeah the shipping would be way too high. There was actually someone who wanted it from us (the severely wrapped griddle) and wanted it shipped down to SC I believe, but the shipping cost was extremely high. Naturally he didn't want it anymore after learning the price. The guy was missing everything for his MKT, so was desperate to get one, even if it was that badly warped. Luckily the other two griddles are not wrapped at all.

So far we just take the griddle out of the second unit and use it in the first unit so that we can use the two griddles at the same time.

indy4x4fab

Banned
mkcoen thanks for posting up all the info step by step progress and ALL the pictures. It's giving me so many good ideas for my m129 camper build, considering I'm planning on building a small kitchen in the rear parts of the trailer, well 10 ton trailer small so over sized by mkt standers but not by m129 standers. Thanks agian for posting up all the updates and keep up the good work.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went out today and have 'restocked' a few things I gave away in Denver. One of those things was a rotary hand pump - only THIS TIME, I bought an American made one instead of the cheap chinese one

Fill-Rite Rotary Hand Pump, Model FR112NT | Barrel + Hand Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

The OTHER item I purchased was a power washer - as this was my first one, I bought a less expensive electric one. If it gets the usage I suspect, I WILL purchase a much better one. But I have to use this one and find out it's pluses and minuses - and if it's easy to use... etc, etc, etc... this one was on sale for $90

Cleanforce Electric Pressure Washer — 1800 PSI, 1.5 GPM, Model# CF1800 | Electric-Cold Water | Northern Tool + Equipment

Sooo... slowly, slowly filling in a few holes here and there

ALL of it I've had, with the exception of the power washer - though I've always wanted one - but the rest of the smaller items have been purchased as replacements of items I always own

I'm just waiting for a wee bit warmer weather - and my jack handles I ordered off of ebay... I got six of them - once they arrive, I'll take some pix and post them

then I start with lowering the jack stands and leveling my MKT and then SLOWLY setting it up - should prove to be an interesting couple of weeks

AND in the mean time, I'm slowly, steadily getting my garden area all knocked out... baby steps - in a new place - baby steps

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well keith_J was out today and we started on the Modification Work Order (MWO). We got most of the holes drilled and ran the cable from the ovens back to where the ac invertor will mount. Unfortunately we ran in to a snag early on. I laid the cables out to check placement when I realized I was actually missing one. Since I hadn't started on the modification I didn't really look to see how the cables would reach. Now that I had them in the generally position they needed to go I could see that there is a 3rd cable that runs from the cooling cabinet, under the deck, then up between the condiment cabinet and the forward most griddle. I'm also missing the small platform that the ac invertor sits on inside the cooling cabinet. I've got feelers out to the usual suspects looking for these 2 items so I'm on hold for now. Luckily I have 2 ac invertors so worst case scenario is I use one for each side of the trailer.

Pics:
1) hole where the plug box will eventually go
2) hole in floor under cooling cabinet
3) hole through deck frame for 3rd cable

I'll reshoot these once the cables are in place and it'll look more 'logical' than just a bunch of holes.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was not set up for the MBUs so no crossover cable. I just found one this week (hope to get it Saturday). That's why we drilled the holes to complete the MWO - that was done originally when they switched the MKTs from the gas burners to the 24v diesel MBUs. They also would add a 2 outlet plug with a pigtail to hook an extension cord up to run the invertor. All this should be completed before the end of the month so I'll be ready to roll for Muster at Camp Mabry in April.

Last edited:
Crossover Cable

Yes, I understand what you are talking about. My trailer is an MKT-85 which was upgraded with all the upgrades, including the platform for the power converter, the pigtail, and the GFI outlet. Does your source have anymore cables (ie, crossover, 25 ft extension, or 2 wire MBU branch cable). Thanks.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks