• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Engine Saga

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morining I ventured down to Ft Lauderdale to meet up with my buddy Matt. He's the guy that bought 7 parts deuces from Camp Blanding. After he moved all but one of the trucks to his farm, he loaded the last truck and came beck here. He offered me the engine in it and I can't be choosy so I went for a looksee. The truck is an M35A2C with a beautiful bed and a shot cab. The cannibals have had their fun with the truck for sure. Of course the radiator is gone but on to the engine. FIrst thing I noticed was the air compressoor was gone. The base was there and appears to be doing a thrifty job of collecting rain water. Also missing was one oil filter assy. In the open base I found a bolt down in there, removed it no problem. Also found that all the steel injector lines are missing as is the secondary filter can. Bunch of the nylon fuel line is gone too. I was thinking of walking away but something kept calling me back. Maybe it was the Toole Depot overhaul data plate, don't know. Got out the big socked and spin it over. Was as free is it could be so that was encouraging. Matt said he has another engine in the back 40 with a bad bottom end that I can strip for this engine. Looking better already. We took the tube assy that gooes from the a/c housing to the turbo. The mud dobbers had all but completely clogged that. After a little cleaning I reached in and spun the turbo with ease. Hmm, maybe Matt is right. Just for the fun of it Matt drug out 2 batteries and jumper cables and hooked them up right to the starter. He jumped the mag switch and she cranked right over. Next we tossed in a small amount of gasoline into the turbo. After about a second it started screaming to life. Only ran a second or so but sounded decent. Incidentally, the oil pumped right up and out of the area vacated by the one filter housing. So it can run and had oil flow, I'm taking it. Cost me a yellow hardtop! I'm trying to get down there tomorrow to pull it and bolt it to my M103 trailer. Once here I'll add all the missing stuff and ground hop it on the trailer before putting it in the wrecker. If the Injection pump proves to be bad, I'll take the one off the LDS engine. Looks like I might get this slug wrecker moving under it's own power soon.

Wick246

Great news. Can't wait to see Ole' Yeller tooling around on it's own. Did you already want to ditch the hard top or was it just the price of doing business?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you'r on the move again! Great.
I have the following: LDS IP w/o FDC, has the steel fuel lines and one compressor (2-piston, also from an LDS).
Let me know if any or all is needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bjorn. As long as the stuff Matt has works, i should be OK. I'll be calling if not!
KE

FSBruva

WAY TO GO KENNY!!!

Can't wait to see the wrecker pulling the tractor pulling the shop van pulling the 103 trailer!!!!! :)

Matt [not the one from whom he's getting the engine(s)]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the plan. When I get off work in the AM, I'm going right over to where the donor truck is. Have all my tools in the police car already. Going to prep everything for engine removal. On Monday when I get off I'll scoot home and get the tractor and M103A3 and head down to get the engine. I'm going to build a bridge of sorts to go across the fenders of the trailer and bolt the front engine mount there. Once I get everything buttoned up on the engine, I'll ground hop it right where it sits. Looks like I'll have the first 5 days off in Feb so if all goes well, the swap will happen then. Once the multi is in, then I can sneak up on getting it running. Once its in and running I'll worry about brakes. I've got a new master cylinder, rebuild kit for one of the airpacks here and some of the rubber hoses. Just need some steel brake lines, 2 more hoses and some wheel cylinder rebuild kits and I can completely rebuild the brake system. Getting excited. Hope I don't forget to take pics.

rdixiemiller

Wish you didn't live so far away. We could have fun wrenching together.
And, to top it off, I can weld!!!
You ought to see if you can find the bottom half of a transit can. That would be the best thing to haul the engine in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one Robert. I don't want to strip off the tranny so I'm just going to booger a piece together for this one job. I went by this morning and cut everything loose. It's ready to lift out. I'll get it monday and bring it home for some testing/work

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel filter canisters/mounting bracket have been shipped. It's from an LDS-465-1A engine, the upgraded version with dual final fuel filters (same as the LD/LDT).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, went by M-Trucking this morning about 6:30am. Had all the tools in the car and was planning on doing everything to get this engine ready to remove. I guess I didn't figure on no one being there and the air compressor off. The air tools stayed in the car and I went to work. The radiator was already gone so things went kinda quick. About an hour and a half and everything is ready. The only thing I'll need to do before I pull it is remove the front bumper. Its not necessary to remove the bumper but makes things much easier. Its coming together, I'll have it home Monday.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, its a pic, totally unrelated but its a pic! BTW, I flat towed that from Columbus OH to FL with my dually and it had no engine. The things you do to get a $170 deuce home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks