• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Engine Saga

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last night I was checking out the donor truck that gave up the engine. Firstly I found that the engine was depot overhauled at TEAD (whats that?) in 1989. Std bores .010 on rods and mains. Anyway I found a data plate on the dash indicating a limited depot overhaul for the entire truck dated 4/89. It was done when the truck had about 9000 miles and now shows 15000 or so (going from memory). I'll be pulling that data plate and the original speedo and tach from the donor truck for my wrecker. BTW the -1C engine sounds really good and shakes the heck out of the M103 trailer when running. I'll send the video to Mike as soon as I can so it can be posted on the site. Looks like it might be going in within a couple of weeks! Oh yeah, BFR, I got the OD tranny with the engine.

red devils dude

no I think Toole plate's say "Toole" at lest that what the one's I've seen say, nice to see it's going so well
for you kenny I'm just geting over a bought with double pneumonia and then I'll start get ready for the install.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good than maybe mine is from Letterkenny Army Depot. Closer inspection shows it says LEAD. Just confirmed, its from Letterkenny! Awesome!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to go Kenny! Looks great.

Wife doesn't have any real problems with me heading South for a few days (specially with free fuel), so I might drop in soon enough.
I think the rear tires will make it okay, put probably wouldn't pass inspection.
The trip will include a stop at Joel's if you still want the compressor truck parts. Ron and Robert (RDM) will be there too. More later.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you got an oil sampler valve on the oil cooler too. :)
You may want to clean the compressor filter while you have easy access, may not have been touched for a while.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan on cleaning the compressor filter, replacing the oil and fuel filters and giving it a good scrubbing. Might even hit it with 383 green since I have some here. Also going to buy a stud kit and put an extra PTO on this trans before the swap so I can just pull the other powerpack with its PTO attached. My handy dandy tree fall had no problem lifting the powerpack so I might go ahead and start the swap tomorrow. I have another sampler valve like that. Its going in place of the bleed screw on the seconday/final filter housing so that I can bleed the fuel away from the engine when necessary. I was showing my 13 yr old the engine yesterday and just for the heck ot it, struck the wire to crank it. Started in less than a second. Lets see, my urgent needs now is an alternator and radiator. Now back to your regularly shceduled program

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, this might be the last installment on this thread. Today I byppassed the plumbing to the flame heater, plugged up the holes where the heater was plumbed in and looked it over real good. Tonight after the kids went to sleep I doused it with engine cleaner and gave it a good cleaning. It will get one more bath in the AM and then paint in the afternoon. If all goes well, I'll start a new thread tomorrow covering the swap starting with the removal of the gasser stuff. I'll try to take pics along each step of the way and post the more significant pics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Jed, painting deuces is like painting houses. Give it a good scrape and mop on some paint. Well, not exactly. Gave it a final bath this morning and blew it off. Let it dry while sandblasting some stuff. Finally made it back to the engine before 10AM and sprayed a couple of coats of paint. Not perfect, but probably better that motorpool or even depot. Here's a couple for ya!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks