• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Engine Saga

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrightythen, I stopped by again this morning and took loose the one fuel return line I forgot. Matt was there so I conned him into some air to run my impact. Took off the front bumper to ease access. Figured I'd just go ahead and drain the oil. Yesterday I reported on how good the air compressor base was at collecting water but I didn't realize how good. The first 4 gallons was just water. After that the oil came out. I was a little concerned at first but not so much now. The engine hadn't been run with the water in it and it was all down at the bottom. This kept the oil up high in the pan and that explains why it wasn't locked up. My big concern now is getting it running so that I can run some fresh oil through it. I did make it sputter and it probably took a drink of the water. Monday or tuesday I'll put fresh oil in and run it for a few to purge any water. It is now 100% ready to remove and whenever I can meet up with Matt, we'll put it right on the trailer along with the extra LDS parts engine. Once the engine is here, I'll be starting a new thread with pics for all to review.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jed, when are you dropping your engine in the truck? I was just out making an organized plan of attack. I'm planning on using 2 days while the engine and tranny are out to tidy up, run new fuel lines and change all the necessary plumbing for the LDT. Also have to change fuel tanks. Might even drop the transfer case and put in an airshift if I get ahead of schedule. Keep us posted on yours!

FSBruva

Heck, rent a compressor, some hydraulic jumper hoses, and remove the safety stops and allow it to change it's own motor! Or am I way off-base on that?

Matt

mangus580

even an electric motor powering the hydro pump somehow and some long hoses...

but on another note, I think Bjorn is going to go help :)

If that falls through, maybe he can convince Ron to go down...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thniking it would be just as easy to put it in with the big wrecker Matt has. I've looked into running the crane from another power source but it doesn't look practical. FYI the mail hose to the pump looks like 1 1/2"

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just stepped in the door from my little journey to Ft Lauderdale. Outside on the M103A3 is an LDT465-1C and an LDS465-1A with a bad bottom end. Between the 2 I should be up and running. Find out soon!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The white one is part of the "Arkansas Boys". He bought 5 trucks from GSA and had them hauled to his place in north FL. The Arkansas trucks got ther own spot in the yard and that nickname. All were somewhat civilianized and all started with just a jump. I was asking him just the other day about what he has up there in the woods. Besides the 3 or 4 trucks he has here in S FLA, he has 15 M44 series and 3 GMCs. Today, I hope to light it up!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, today was ground hop day. I spent a few hours moving parts from the LDS to the LDT and generally fooling about with the engines. Still have some little things to tidy up such as taping a few holes that got rusty in the absence of bolts and a few little parts to pick up. I bypassed the entire flame heater assy but might put it back on. Took me quite a while to weed out some ground issues and even more time bleeding the system of water and air. Remember, the engine had 5 gallons of water in it as well as no injector lines for who knows how long. Lady luck was with me and I did get er running sitting on the trailer. Sorry, its a one man show so there's no pics. I did get out the circa 80s video camera and got the many attempts and the start on tape. It will be sent to our tech staff to be edited down and formatted for the website. So the good news is....its running and sounds pretty decent. Need to go take my back meds now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks