• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong replacement engine fan...

ppillard

1997 M1078, 3116 Engine

So, I’m broke down in Colorado due to my stock engine fan coming loose of the hub. I ordered a replacement fan to be overnighted from Midwest Military. It’s now here and the bolt hole pattern is slightly too large. I could drill it out, and make it work, but with over $600 in it with shipping, I really don’t wanna
Midwest never mentioned it would need modification. Did I get the wrong part?

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is the part number per the TM for clutch 1090-0800-01 What is the # on your clutch?
1090-0800-03 clutch uses fan 4035-41393-74

That is the issue with the military application is that there are so many different variants based on break in the serial numbers

Last edited:

ppillard

Greatness, looks as tho I need to update my fan clutch, too. My apologies: I can’t search the TM’s with my iPhone, for whatever reason. Will the new clutch require special tools or is an easy swap?

ppillard

Thanks Simp. However, that’s only the link for the parts and special tools TM. I can’t seem to pick the link apart to get me to the root directory that holds all the TM’s. Very frustrating. Can you help a brother out?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must have the OEM 1997 year fan. MM sent you the upgrade fan 4735-41393-27. They should have told you that the upgrade clutch is needed in order to use that fan.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can bolt your old fan to the hub.
That's what we've done to everyone we get.
There's holes already on both parts that line up exactly.

It's great when they come loose and don't destroy their self and everything around them.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I’m broke down in Colorado
Where are you broken down at in Colorado? I'm in Colorado.

I tried to warn you in the other thread that you couldn't put the new-style fan on the old-style clutch. I have an old-style fan, if you need that.

Also take note that there are two generations of fans. The original one is all plastic (I've got one if you need it) and uses the rubber bushings to go together. The newer one has a metal center hub. However, if you change to the newer fan, you also need to change to the newer fan clutch... you can't bolt the new fan on the old fan clutch.

Rmtaunton

You can bolt your old fan to the hub.
That's what we've done to everyone we get.
There's holes already on both parts that line up exactly.

It's great when they come loose and don't destroy their self and everything around them.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ppillard

I landed and installed a hub, got back on the road. Made it most of the way home and she over heated. Temp got up to about 240 before I noticed (damnit). Pulled her over and shut it down. Tapped the fan solenoid and she vented air.
Now, she won’t start. I let her cool down to about 210, and I have power going to the starter relay at passenger dash, but starter (which is new) is refusing to turn over.
Is their some sort of inhibit protection relay that’s killing me?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time it over heats and you don't hear fan running, pull over set brake get out and drain air tanks don't shut it down the fan should come on with no air and cool engine.

Raise cab take hose off top of radiator shroud and kink over and zip tie out of any moving parts

Good to go until you can get fan solanoid replaced with a better one.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my truck, the coolant switches that activate the fan were incorrect (and judging by the corrosion patina on them, had been that way for a decade). You may need to look through how it's all wired up. The fan should fail to the on position - it's on by default, and the system turns it off until it needs it.

You don't happen to have a winter radiator cover installed, do you?

WaRadman

Late reply but I have the same situation, good working fan clutch, A0 early version with the 4035-41393-74 fan which spins around not attached and not in the radiator. So am I to understand I can take the whole thing off the fan clutch and put small machine screws through all the little holes and get more life out of an otherwise perfectly good fan and fan clutch without spending $700 to replace both?

Asymair95

Late reply but I have the same situation, good working fan clutch, A0 early version with the 4035-41393-74 fan which spins around not attached and not in the radiator. So am I to understand I can take the whole thing off the fan clutch and put small machine screws through all the little holes and get more life out of an otherwise perfectly good fan and fan clutch without spending $700 to replace both?
Yes, remove the rubber spacer, and bolt back together.

Coffey, do you remember what size/length bolts you need once the spacer is removed?

E27EB1FF-7DBD-4CD9-9BD8-F5C08AB7A6ED.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks