• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

Gamagoat1

Tire pressure is 22 max (not 25) just my 2 cts.
Then there's the classic MV look with the semi-gloss 24087 OD Green. For sure the interior and engine compartment will be 24087, but I'm torn with the exterior. I'm keeping the 24087 on the interior in keeping with the nostalgia more than anything else. I pondered doing forest green for the interior of the cab at least but I like the semi-gloss 24087.
Some things I thought about was the dark green with the small cramped interior. I'm not claustrophobic or anything but the cab is pretty cramped as it is. But thinking the semi-gloss may "open" up the interior a bit coupled with the big windshield before my eyes. Another thought was clean up in the tub. Being an enclosed tub, I can no longer simply hose out the cab like I do with my deuces and 5 tons. With the steering box before on the floor and the propensity for water going in the box, the semi-gloss will at least afford the ability to wipe the interior down somewhat.

wsucougarx

Slave Cable 2 Prong Plug Kit, Shift Knobs,

For some reason, my Goat didn't come with a Slave Plug in the bow. I've been perusing my favorite parts place for the past few weeks looking for a 2 prong plug with the correct cable length. This afternoon I finally stumbled upon one that looks like will work. The kit didn't have a part number or NSN number on the title or description. I just kind of stumbled upon it by accident. When I see a Gama Goat part listed on a popular auction site, I will typically go in to see what else they may be selling. I always hope to find parts made of unobtanium. Though this part is not exactly rare, it checks another part off the WANT LIST. As mentioned earlier, when you see something you need you better jump on it as it may not be there when you need it;-). Due to this, I have taking my allocated "NEED to have" funds and putting them on my "WANT to have" list. Oh well, I'm in no hurry to get this project completed as I want to take my time and do things right. However, come spring it'll be another story:driver:8). I picked up the Slave Cable Plug for $65+$13.65 shipping. It states the long wire is 154" long and the short is 6" long. I opted for the older two pronger due to keeping the Goat in it's original configuration. It's the purist in me coming out.
I also secured a very hard to find Technical Manual going over radio install for the M561. The TM11-2300-372-14-5 should be here in a few days. I've got most of the VIC-1 components and most of the VRC-12 gear either in my garage or enroute. Just need to work on the little things and get some questions answered about install. I'm hoping this reference ought to help out. I picked this manual up for $10 shipped.
Today, 23NOV15, I secured three NOS shift knobs for the tranny, transfer case, and 2x6 to 6x6 levers. As usual, I bought them off my favorite site for 23.97 shipped. They were described as:
FITS M561 GAMA GOAT and many other vehicles
NSN 5355004231657

MFR PART NO. SAW-4231657

3/8-24 THREAD SIZE

Replaces: 1843765, 7348999 and others

Project Cost:
Slave Cable Plug: $68.65 Shipped (Ebay)
TM11-2300-372-14-5-$10 (G503)
Shift Lever Knobs- $23.97 (Ebay)​

Attachments

Last edited:

Gamagoat1

For some reason, my Goat didn't come with a Slave Plug in the bow. I've been perusing my favorite parts place for the past few weeks looking for a 2 prong plug with the correct cable length. This afternoon I finally stumbled upon one that looks like will work. The kit didn't have a part number or NSN number on the title or description. I just kind of stumbled upon it by accident. When I see a Gama Goat part listed on a popular auction site, I will typically go in to see what else they may be selling. I always hope to find parts made of unobtanium. Though this part is not exactly rare, it checks another part off the WANT LIST. As mentioned earlier, when you see something you need you better jump on it as it may not be there when you need it;-). Due to this, I have taking my allocated "NEED to have" funds and putting them on my "WANT to have" list. Oh well, I'm in no hurry to get this project completed as I want to take my time and do things right. However, come spring it'll be another story:driver:8). I picked up the Slave Cable Plug for $65+$13.65 shipping. It states the long wire is 154" long and the short is 6" long. I opted for the older two pronger due to keeping the Goat in it's original configuration. It's the purist in me coming out.
I also secured a very hard to find Technical Manual going over radio install for the M561. The TM11-2300-372-14-5 should be here in a few days. I've got most of the VIC-1 components and most of the VRC-12 gear either in my garage or enroute. Just need to work on the little things and get some questions answered about install. I'm hoping this reference ought to help out. I picked this manual up for $10 shipped.
Project Cost:
Slave Cable Plug: $68.65 Shipped (Ebay)
TM11-2300-372-14-5-$10 (G503)
The slave set was an option, for some reason. That long end goes to positive on the terminal board under the radiator. The short goes on one of the four mounting bolts fore the plug itself.
Good job finding that slave!
Get as many manuals as you can, this vehicle deserves being done up right.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opted for the correct "visual appearance." option. First I didn't have the correct plug with cable but I had a correct 2 prong plug from a dead generator and second I didn't want to have to snake the correct cable all the way to the buss bar. Since there was a hole already there I chose to give it the correct look. If I have to slave it there's more issues than just a dead battery.

wsucougarx

Steering Wheel Repair and Front Turn Signal Mount Modification

It was quite apparent the steering wheel in my Goat was probably original. I'm not sure what kind of material it's made out of but it cracked in about a half dozen different areas. Some areas had a crack that was close to 1/8" or so. Looked like the Grand Canyon in my hands...well kind of. I was looking to replace the steering wheel but I've tried to adopt a principle in this built. Don't buy it to replace, rather buy it because you don't have it. This principle of replace is mostly due to cosmetics rather than function. A guy could easily go through and basically replace every component on this truck. I tried to convince myself and not loose focus of this build by blowing my funds on parts I already have. Well, the steering wheel was one of those parts. I mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with this steering wheel other than the looks. The steering wheel had a few layers of paint on her. I figured I could just repair it and add another coat of paint. I think it turned out pretty good. I just rolled the compound in my hand and jammed it into place. I waited a day or so and used a razor blade to knock off the heavy extra parts and used the razor blade to scrape it to blend it in. I then used 100 grit sandpaper to really tone it down and finished with wet sandpaper. Once painted, she'll look new again.
Today, I also modified the front turn signal bracket. I was going to buy the original small round turn signals but decided to go with the larger units. I did this for but one reason...safety. Though I wanted to keep her original in her 1971 configuration, I felt safety was a bit more important. Should I change my mind then I can buy the smaller lights. I also got to thinking about what era I wanted this Goat to represent. The MERDC on this Goat made me think about Goats in the mid '80s with Operation Urgent Fury. I think I may go with that theme. If so, then the larger turn signals could be era correct.
I had to modify the mount to accommodate the larger frame of the aluminum housing. It seems the plastic units fit without modification but I had to trim away about an 1/8" of the angled reinforcement on this mount. I also had to enlarge the hole and make a key hole to accommodate the wiring harness. I though about just flipping the mount but still would have to modify for the wiring harness. I also didn't know if flipping the mount would screw up the adjustable side mirrors or not. I still need to buy them.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Tractor Seatblet Installation and Behr Exterior Vietnam Era 24087

Today I also drilled all my holes to accommodate the tractor unit's seatbelts. In total I only had to drill 8 holes for the driver and passenger seatbelts. The biggest challenge was converting the government decimal measurements to fractions...hahaha. Also, should you do this install, put a piece of wood between the tub and fuel tank. The drill bits I was using was going through the aluminum tub like a hot knife to butter. Luckily, I didn't make any punctures in the fuel tanks...whew!!!! Once I get the cab painted then I'll install the seatbelt kit.
I also secured an outstanding color match to Vietnam Era 24087 from Home Depot. I had a brand new LS-454 Loudspeaker I took in to have color matched. I opted for semi-gloss and it really looks great. So far I have only painted the air filter canister and coolant overflow tank. I used one of those little hand size rollers. It went on smooth with great coverage.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

What was the product you used to fill the gaps in the steering wheel? Your wheel looked better than my 923 wheel and I have pondered on doing such a repair. Will be interested how the painting goes on the wheel as well. P

wsucougarx

Hi Peter, I used a two part epoxy called Quicksteel. It sets up relatively quickly so you only want to mix a little bit at a time. It works really well and easy to work with. The steering wheel on this truck is pretty sturdy compared to the plastic ones in our 5 tons. I noticed the ones in my M939 5 tons all have a sagging problem. Seems the steering wheel element is sinking below the centerline. Not sure if it's due to soldiers constantly leaning over the steering wheel or if it's due to their construction. The Gama Goat one is pretty solid. From what I've heard it's the same 18" steering wheel you can find in M54's etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Old Military Gama Goat Pics (Reference) 1

Just posting some old military pics I found of our beloved Gama Goat. I'm posting to use as reference for placement of things like marker lights, bridge plates, antennas, etc.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Old Military Gama Goat Pics (Reference) 2

I thought pic #3 was interesting in that it had the hardtop kit doors with a soft top.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

Mike, that looks like a somewhat similar product to JB weld. I have considered using the JB but was concerned about how the paint would affix to it. I would say our Gama goat wheel is the same as in the M54. At least it is the same style as mine. One of these days you will have to have a conversation with the 1SG on Gama goats. He was issued one, once upon a time.

wsucougarx

VRC-12 Installation Kit and TM showed up today

Got a couple packages in the mail today! Is it just me or does everyone have the anticipation of coming home and seeing a box on their porch? Today I got my VRC12 radio install kit. Though it's missing a few parts, I'm sure I've got most of everything in the garage. In fact, I found I already have the two mounts in a box already. Oh well, everyone needs a spare radio mount in their garage right?

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Looks good, that power cable going from the mount to the carrier connector should be interesting to find. Do you have a part number for it?

wsucougarx

MX-7777B/GRC secured

I have the said cable. It's the exact same cable a guy would use to connect the MX-7777B/GRC Transient Suppressor to the MT-1029 or MT-1898 mounts. The numerical designation escapes me at the moment. I do plan on incorporating an MX-7777 into this setup. I look at it as cheap insurance to make sure there aren't any damaging surges going to my radio gear. I located a NOS MX-7777B/GRC on E*** for $66.65 Shipped.

I also found a NOS Cab Cover and Insulated Cargo Cover. Hoping to buy it this weekend.

Project Cost:
1) MX-7777 $66.65 shipped

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

Looks like a good start, your goat project is coming along nicely.

I am really starting to lean towards merdec on mine, still got a ways to go before I cross that bridge.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Thank you. I have found myself getting side tracked at the moment. I was trying to concentrate on the maintenance aspects of this Goat. Had the brakes at the top of the list and somehow radio/VIC-1 found it's way to the priority list. I guess that just part of the game. When everything is said and done, she may not be drivable but she'll have some radio gear to play with;-). Now the radio gear is going to have to step aside until I get those covers shipped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks