• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

Seat cushions and a box full of treasures

Got a box of Goat parts from a fellow SS yesterday. Today I finally had a chance to see what I had. I originally put out a request in the WANT ADS for Gama Goat seat cushions. Jim had a set and a few parts. Well, during my collection phase of this project, I couldn't turn down a box of Goat parts. I got some battery hold down bolts, three battery hold down brackets, two switch panels, main panel w/old flasher unit, turn signal switch with harness, air pump, fuel pump, drain plug, pair of double bumper brackets, wheel drum seal, two manifold heater switches, seat push pins, and a steering joint. I'm going to put most of these parts to use and have some spare parts on hand. I'm still unsure what the four round parts are. Anyone have any ideas?
I thought the data plate on the panel was pretty cool. I haven't seen this one yet.
I got this outstanding box of treasures for $70+$58.77 shipping=$128.55 shipped

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

Good Haul! Not sure what the round things are, I am in need of a bilge pump switch if you have an extra,

That swimming instructions plate is cool, haven't seen that before either.

Amer-team

Do you have a picture of the bilge pump switch? Am working with some PBR guys and they are working on the Bilge pumps. Who knows maybe they are the same and they might have an extra. They are actually putting in a back up pump system, so they can run one off the batteries when they are not running. Their normal pump runs off the engine.

wsucougarx

Switch Panel Clean Up

I had exactly one hour to do something with the Gama Goat today. Hmmm, what could I do with only one hour??? Switch panel strip and clean project. Only took a sink of hot water and a guitar pick.
Once the paint was in hot water, the paint just scraped off. The plastic guitar pick didn't leave any mars or scratches on the surface. Turned out pretty good. I plan on painting the other panel and scraping the raised letters.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Made a short 2.5 hour trip this evening to pick up a 250lb wooden crate with something in it. Any guesses? It's something this Goat did not come with.... Hmmmm......

wsucougarx

No sir, not a hardtop. I did pick up a NOS hardtop kit back in July. However, I think the crate had more rat nests and droppings than there were in hardtop...hahaha. I made sure I took a very long shower after unloading and cleaning everything up.
Due to my garage door clearance, the hardtop kit will be sitting in a trailer until a later date. The hardtop sits too high for my garage. So looks like the soft top will do for now.
Project Cost:
1-Complete NOS M561/M792 Hardtop Kit $340 total

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Bingo! The family and I made a pit stop to Claim Jumpers. I'll get some pics of the kit posted when I get home.
Project Cost:
1- Claim Jumper Bill w/tip $105:roll::???::neutral::evil: Collateral damage:driver:

Last edited:

wsucougarx

M561/M792 NOS Winch Kit in Crate

In my search for Gama Goat parts, I went through all the big parts and equipment dealers. I started turning my attention to fellow SS for parts. I was perusing SS and saw a local PNW SS was online and remembered he had had a Gama Goat once upon a time. I knew he had sold his Goat but felt compelled to inquire about any Goat parts laying around. As with many MV enthusiasts, we tend to have parts for vehicle we no longer have or just have parts just because. His response to my inquiry was "Sorry Mike, all the parts went with it, all I have left is an NOS winch.". Hmmm, I thought... I really wasn't looking for a winch kit as I intend to swim my Goat should that time arise. OK I thought, I inquired back and asked if it was an actual kit. His response was YES. I was a NOS Gama Goat winch kit in wooden crate. OK, now I was really torn with this one. Though I hadn't planned on a winch, I now stared opportunity in the face. I figured should I change my mind in the future I'll have the said kit in my garage. It was only 2.5 hours away, I don't have to pay for freight etc etc etc. Why not? So I decided to jump on this deal and went up and got her. Best of all, my wife supported the idea of buying the winch kit. She even allowed me to borrow the difference. I've got a great wife!!! So with $700 in hand we made a family trip out of it.
She came complete with an extra hook and chain for the winch cable. The winch cable is coated with cosmoline. Plus she had a nice NOS snatch block in there!!
Project Cost:
1- M561/M792 NOS Complete Winch Kit $700

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

NOS USGI Windshield Washer Kit

One of my ongoing issues with the MV design was the lack of windshield washer kits. I have installed these kits on all my deuces and am planning on outfitting the Goat with one as well. I know these kits probably came out after the Goat was cycled out of the military inventory. However, safety first has priority over my purist attitude. I picked up this NOS kit off E***. I really lucked out on this kit because it came with a squirt nozzle that typically (at least from what I've bought) doesn't come with the kit. The squirt nozzle allows you to easily adjust the spray pattern. Due to the curvature of the Gama Goat's bow, this is very important to get the right angle. My plans are to mount it dead center on the intake shroud in front of the windshield and just snake the hose down into the cab.
Once I install this kit I'll post more pics of where everything went.
I also have an inbound order from Red River Parts as well. Will post pics of what I get.
Project Cost:
1- NOS Military Windshield Washer Kit $45 shipped.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Red River Parts & Equipment Order #1

Today I got a goodie box from Red River Parts and Equipment. Blake was great to deal with. He had most of the parts I needed. This was my first order from them and plan on ordering more parts in the future. Here's what I got this first go around.
1) Brake Master Cylinder 11660091 $75
2) Bushing Sleeve Assy (for the front suspension arms) 11601342 $12.95 each
3) Washer Key (Nut lock for drive shaft on each hub) 11659880 $2.50 each
4) Dust Boot Shifter 11595021 $9.95
5 )Dust Boot Parking Brake 11594957 $9.95
6) Heater Ventilator Box 11653653 $75
7) Push/Pull Cord for Vent Box 7700353 $8.50
8) Carrier Steering Box Inspection Plug 11594890 $10.50
9) Turn Signal Wiring Harness 11630528 $26.50
I was jazzed I found a source for the shifter boots and the very hard to find carrier plug over the steering box. Hope this helps out someone looking for these particular parts!

Project Cost:
1) Red River Order #1 $366 shipped

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Steering Wheel Removal

I've been trying to concentrate on the tractor unit of this Goat. My plans are to replace the entire steering wheel assy and the steering joint. Thought it would be a good idea to see if I could even get that steering wheel removed. I've seen steering wheel removal kits on E*** for around $150 and really didn't want to spend that kind of money for a ONE USE tool. I decided to see if I could muscle that steering wheel off with what I had.
Upon taking the horn button off, I was a bit dismayed at the rust and junk that was in there. I though for sure the steering wheel nut was probably seized on the steering column. I got the penetrating oil out and soaked her up. I got the appropriate socket and went to torque that nut off. Well, needless to say, I torqued a bit more than I needed. So much so I just about fell out of the Goat. It really didn't take much effort to get that nut off.
Once off, now was the task of pulling the wheel off...no go. So, I soaked the steering wheel again and waited a few minutes. I got a hammer and started tapping the bottom and rotated the wheel as I did so. After a couple minutes of light hitting she was off.
So I was pretty happy that I didn't need to fork over $150 for a steering wheel kit...whew!!!!
While I have the steering wheel out, I'll complete my project of filling in the cracks with JB Weld on the underside of the wheel. Plus it would be a great time to get her painted up.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Project slow down....

Well, if things haven't already been slow on this project, things are really going to slow down on it's progress. We've hit Little League Baseball and Softball season. As coach, my free time will be spent at the baseball diamond. So we'll see what time I can muster to help keep a little momentum going on this truck.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks