• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

Hi did but they were dry rotted and has little creature nests in them. Seat bottoms are hard to find. I'm thinking about sewing a large patch of canvas on mine to prevent tearing. I'm surprised that wasn't an MWO with soldiers stepping on the seat cushions to get in/out of these contortionist vehicles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wsucougarx

For the most part the tires on the carrier were new. Some still had the seams. But unfortunately they've been baking in the hot Utah desert sun for at least a decade. The rubber was hard as a rock. I brought my trailer with me to load them with tires but it was a no go.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wsucougarx

Prepping For Paint (Before pics)

Well, the time has finally come. After waiting 10 months, I can now get the Goat a new coat of paint. Everything worked out this week for this anticipated moment. I took scheduled myself for vacation and my original plans didn't work out. So I am taking this chance to drag the ole Goat out of the garage and freshen her up. Today, I had originally planned to get a coat of FS34079 Forest Green on her but decided to spend more time prepping her. Weather and God permitting, I'll start first thing tomorrow morning and get at least a coat or two on her. My plan is to put a coat of Forest Green on her for now and wait a couple weeks before adding the remaining Winter Verdant MERDC colors (Earth Brown, Black, Tan). I'm still trying to figure out if I am going with sharp lines (no blending) or blended lines. Obviously blended would be the way to go for that unit looking paint job. However, I've seen some pretty slick non-blended camo jobs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWKgvfJZcU

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Prepping For Paint (Before Video II)

The paint doesn't appear to have a smooth semi-gloss finish. My mistake was spraying this on in direct sunlight. I'm going repaint her in the garage to smooth it out some. Wanted to get this preliminary coat on to see what she'd look like with one coat of paint. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLmv_WqTG0 5,471

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Forest Green is finally on!

Had a delay today in my quest to finally get a coat of paint on. I once again prepped the Goat and was ready to settle in with the paint gun. I got the paint mixed up and ready to spray. I started spraying with a little bit of overcast above. I did one complete side of the carrier and that's when the sun broke through the clouds. What?!?!?!? This color doesn't look like Forest Green I thought. It looks too grey! I went back into the garage and pulled out my two gallons of "color matched" Forest Green that Home Depot mixed up back in December 2015. Luckily I had a very old left over Gillespie can of Forest Green the garage from my M109A3 project. I sprayed her on what I already sprayed on the Goat. Sure enough, it was way too grey. Ahh crud now what? I grabbed both gallons of paint and made my way to Home Depot. I brought the exact same mirror I had them color match it to. The veteran paint guy "color matched" the mirror's Forest Green. He mixed up a sample and boom! It too was grey. What the heck! I asked him to color match it again and boom! It was grey again but with a different formula. Hmmm, could their computer be messed up. I then spent the next 40 minutes perusing Steelsoldiers looking for someone's Forest Green formula to no avail. Ok, a different guy steps in. Heck third time a charm right? I had nothing to loose. So the new guy grabbed the mirror and I had him color match it as well. Bingo, color match made. It was a perfect match to the Forest Green. It's amazing how the formula can change with the same piece of part. Goes to show you, be persistent!!!
I managed to get one coat on the Goat before having to clean up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC0PX1YGEpk

TMOMW

drove them for 5+ years, never got stuck towing a M167.... got the M998 and had a platoon stuck during the first field problem :)

wsucougarx

USGI Windshield Washer Kit

I did this project last month and forgot to post it. I installed a USGI manual windshield washer kit. This kit was originally intended for the M44A3 series 2.5 ton trucks but fits nicely in the 1.25 ton truck;-). Though not period correct, this is one of those "must haves" for me on a truck. I mounted the dual spray nozzle on the intake scoop on the front of the truck. I then just snaked the hose through a small crack in the intake plenum. I spent a good hour or two dry fitting the reservoir. Considerations were 1)Where can I mount it without being in the way? 2)Where can I mount it where it wouldn't impede any functions of the truck? 3)Where can I mount it where I can readily fill up the reservoir without having to remove it? 4)Where can I mount it where it will be out of sight? The only locally location I came up with is right next to the master cylinder directly behind the instrument panel. With a regular long funnel I can easily fill the reservoir up. I had to fashion up a bracket using lumber corner brackets (all I could find in the garage).

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks