• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

MERDC Paint Day #3

Today seemed like everything was finally taking shape. After all these months of accumulating and searching for parts came to fruition. This was one of those projects that seemed like I could never get things going. I've driven a total of 6,000 miles for this project including the recovery trip and two trips to Tooele, UT. I've spent countless hours until the wee hours of the night perusing the internet for parts. Now finally after 9 months, I can officially really get started on getting this truck back together and get all my extras mounted on this truck.
So to start things off, I removed the wheels to get to the wheel wells. Before I kicked off this project day, I checked and rechecked the weather forecast and it showed 0% precipitation. As soon as I rolled the jack out I felt a couple drops on my face. I look up only to find it started to drizzle. I again checked the forecast and it still showed 0% precip. Oh well, the plan must go on. So I continued pulling the tires and got all my supplies lined up. Boom, sunshine!
I grabbed a piece of chalk and started to make my paint lines. I deviated from the gov't plans a bit. I used less Field Drab than what the plans showed. I rather have more green in my MERDC. Funny thing is I compared the gov't plans with what was originally on the truck and found whoever painted this truck previously just winged it. With the Forest Green much darker in color than the Field Drab, it took several coats of Field Drab to make her really show. This is where a guy must have patience for everything to turn out. I felt like turning up the paint flow to rush things but realized paint runs would be an issue that would really slow things up. So in this case, Slow is Fast. Once I got the Field Drab applied, I noticed my nice Forest Green wasn't as dark as she used to be. Upon further examination, I found the Field Drab was really overspraying more than I had anticipated. So, once the Field Drab dried, I grabbed some more Forest Green and redefined the contour lines and put a light coat over the green. The trick it to give the paint gun a shallow angle away from the opposing colors to prevent further overspray...lesson learned.
The paint gun I am using doesn't allow for nice small detailed painting. If you look at the MERDC plans, it calls for sharp contour lines with the Sand and Black. So I'm contemplating using individual stencils for each "twig/branch" or carefully paint brushing them on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hW8jo0Aew

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I recall reading how, back in the earlier classic eras of Japan, how the very best potters would deliberately make a random mark on any pot or vase that they thought was too perfect. To do otherwise was an act of arrogance towards the Universe and the gods; perfection is not the realm of us lowly humans, we owe ourselves humility. So celebrate those dents with pride, Brother. And eat more rice!

wsucougarx

Project Delay

Sorry no updates guys. My son has been playing on the 11-12 Majors Little League Baseball District Team. We've been at the Washington State Tournament in Bellevue since Saturday.

wsucougarx

Well my son's team, Montesano Little League is at State. We've managed to knock several teams off the bracket. We're down to the last 4 teams of this tournament. Someone will represent Washington State on Saturday. Hoping and praying it'll be Montesano!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wsucougarx

Finally!!! The paint is done...kind of...

Well, my painting is finally completed on the exterior. I still need to do some touching and stenciling but other than that she's pretty much done. I'm still undecided about the interior or the carrier. I may end up MERDC'ing it. For now, the paining is complete!!
https://youtu.be/dA3yqy2NjJs

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint job looks great Mike! I must have missed it along the way but don't think I've seen those rear fenders on the tractor.

Now that it's all done time to start on a M1078 :)

Another Ahab

wsucougarx;1902871[COLOR=#daa520 said:
]Hi Peter, our State Tournament came to an end on Thursday.[/COLOR] Montesano Little League placed 4th in state. The boys hoped for a bid at the Little League World Series but not this year.
Not everybody gets to come home the winner. But you all made it to the tournament, and that says a lot. Congratulations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks