• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

Another Ahab

It appears I drove smack dab into a military op. I approached the convoy slowly trying to figure out if I could pass....no go. So I started my 40 point turn around. I had a very captive audience staring and smiling at my curiously loud and abnormal looking truck. As I got turned around the convoy continued on and opened the road.

:funny:

combat32

Your truck sure is looking good, when you gonna get some accessories for that truck?:mrgreen:

You really need that death trap fuel fired heater!

wsucougarx

Nothing to report on the Goat. However, I had a great accomplishment of sorts. I finally freed up my M101 trailer. I lugged those spare transfer cases out today. Now my next challenge...where in the world am I going to put them. Seems you can never have enough storage space for spare parts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

I would be more worried about the front tire alignment, looks like the front right has a lot of positive camber, save those tires!

Stalwart

Hey Mike, during moving all my crap, I found 2 new tires for the GG, know anybody that needs some? They haven't been mounted and been stored away from the sun.

Stuart

wsucougarx

NOS Tires and Differential

Not a whole lot of activity to report on this project. As you know, she's about complete. However, I continue to make refinements here and there. Last Saturday I made the trip to the Stalwart compound to pick up a couple spare parts. Thank you so much Stalwart for thinking about me!! I appreciate you offering these parts to me and the great conversation. My son was thoroughly impressed with everything on your property. The plan is to replace my steer tires with these beautiful NOS tires. However, I am running into a problem. They are too nice to mount onto the Gama Goat;-). I think I may just keep in them in the garage for now.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

This little truck looks to be the last MV truck project for awhile I've run out of room. I've got this goat in for the run at military truck of the month for September. We'll see how she does.
At some point, I may need to sell a deuce or 5 ton so I can get going on another project. I've really been wanting to do an M37b1.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

WE Tech M16A1 Airsoft

With the cold wet weather now almost behind us, I'll be able to get out and get back to work on the Goat. Over the winter, I was in search of a replica M16A1 for the cab. I thought about a Rubber Ducky M16, a real AR15, a replica, or an airsoft M16A1. After much thought and research, I settle on a WE Tech Gas Blowback M16A1 Vietnam. It came with an orange plastic birdcage that I quickly changed out. I had to re-thread the end of the barrel to accept the A1 birdcage. It had a flat back finish was was entirely incorrect for the era that I wanted to represent. So she got the XM gray finish. Next I changed out all the furniture with USGI furniture. It was a direct plug and play. I weathered her a bit to give her that used look.
The rifle feels pretty solid and is about the correct weight. So much so, I took it down to our family Thanksgiving dinner. My father in law was an 11B with the 9th Infantry Division, 2/60th in Vietnam from 1967-1968. He looked at my rifle and had a real puzzle look on his face. He asked he where I got it and said it was illegal. Passed the test. Soon thereafter, my father showed up. He too was an 11B with the 23rd Infantry Division (Americal), 11th LIB, 1/20th, D.Co,3rd Platoon in Vietnam from 1969-1970. No sooner did he grab it he got a look in his eyes and started walking around with the rifle hanging at his side and bringing up in the ready position. He said this is what he did while out on patrol to combat arm fatigue. He too asked where I got it. I informed them it was a toy of sorts and they both just looked at me with a "Yah right" look. Then I showed them the airsoft magazine that went with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

RT-246a/VRC enroute

Over the past few months, I've been perusing different sites in search of radio to fill that dark void in my MT1029 in the carrier. I have a dual radio mount system in the carrier. The top mount houses the AM-2060a with the PRC-77. The bottom was to mount an RT-246a/VRC or an RT-524a/VRC. I ultimately wanted the 246 as my truck is setup for it. So after not finding any radios, I just kind of forgotten about it. Well, unfortunate for my wallet, I have an alert setup on a popular website to warn me new listings. A completely rebuilt RT-246a/VRC came up. Well, since these radios seem to have been few and far between in the past few months, I decided I needed to act on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Exhaust Tip and CONDEC badge

Another project in the making, rerouting my exhaust to the original configuration. As all the Goat owners know, there have been a rash of GG parts popping up online. I've been looking for the tailpipe and intermediate pipe for sometime. So the opportunity presented it self, so I decided to bite.
Through the past couple years, I have been asked to made my Goat. So, this CONDEC badge appeared online. I plan on subduing it and adding it somewhere on the Goat.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

Coug am also looking at the radio setup for the M151. May need to call you in for a consult later this spring. I think I have two of those radios now, so maybe one in the M38A1 too.

wsucougarx

Pumpkin Patch 2017 Trip

Back in October, the family and my nieces wanted to head off to the pumpkin patch. We had a problem though. We didn't have a vehicle to hold all the troops. Then my wife chimed in and said why not take the Goat? Naturally I to go with the idea and agreed as I didn't want to cause any friction b/w my wife and I :p. Trip went well. My wife had a chance to drive the Goat.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks