• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wth?Deuce making to much power?

A

A/C Cages

Mine did the same thing when I threw my wife out the door. Wow its fast now it dont have to tow a ton in the passenger seat.

Oh by the way, shes sitting here reading this and laughing her butt off.

Barrman

Not trying to sound doubtful, but 52" tall tires, a 6.71 gear ratio and a .80 over drive means 2458 rpm at 70 mph. Since 52's won't fit a M35 and the od is more around .85. How are you hitting 70-75 mph? Unless you are busting past 2600 rpm in which case you will be able to examine the pistons and such through the window real soon.

The power boost itself sounds like a stuck turbo, throttle not getting opened all the way until then or for the wild thought. Dragging brakes that finally stopped dragging.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to sound doubtful, but 52" tall tires, a 6.71 gear ratio and a .80 over drive means 2458 rpm at 70 mph. Since 52's won't fit a M35 and the od is more around .85. How are you hitting 70-75 mph? Unless you are busting past 2600 rpm in which case you will be able to examine the pistons and such through the window real soon.
This is what I was thinking. I don't think you have a fuel problem as much as you do a governor problem. What were your RPMs when you were going 75mph? Like Barrman, I tend to think you were above redline.

tm america

i have 15.5s on my truck. and i said it pulled hard to 70.. but felt like it would have kept going to 75-80 but i let out of it.. The gov should work but i wasn't staying into it to find out...The fact that i was accelorating like that going up a hill let me know something was wrong not to mention the fact the boost gage spun around past 40 and broke the needle in the process..
Ussually my truck starts to fall off the closer i get to 2600rpm but it wasn't when this happened.. It was pulling off in 5th like it normally does when i am in first gear:???:

tm america

Its threads like these that have made me change the jar I've been savin' pennies in for an ETG ...

... to a jar I'm saving DOLLARS in!

If you scatter that engine ... I'm switching again

... to Twenties!!!

oddshot
i don't think it will scatter probably more like melt?but thats why i'm trying to get as many ideas before i dig into it .Maybe i should have done this as a poll to see what the majority of people think happened?

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is "stock" as far as I know...I haven't done anything other than mix WMO filtered to 5 micron at a 50% diesel/oil ratio. It runs fine. I noted your high boost numbers and am also curious what is going on with your engine. My M35 max's out at 1000° EGT, and the highest I've seen the boost is 9 psi, with these numbers coming in pulling up a long hill near the house and running at 50mph in 5th. I have no idea whether my FDC is hooked up or not and don't know how to tell yet. Just thought I'd throw this into the mix for comparison. I didn't have any idea that these engines would even run at those boost pressures.

treeguy

Is ATF like a magic pill to clean out our fuel systems, if so maybe if most of us used some ATF for cleaning purposes and had the result TM did than we could turn down our fuel. I know that when I got mine she felt way under powered so had to give the IP 1 1/4 turns.
I thought I would just throw that out there, but what TM went through does sound abnormal, esp. if the smoke color stayed the same but the engine noise went up and spun the pyro.

s1036s

From what little I know about turbos, I think the turbo is your problem, not your fuel. Or maybe they are linked. But you said already the turbo overboosted, and still is above 2000rpm. So why is it, wastegate stuck shut or what. Does the fuel injection get boost reference, so when the turbo spiked it added fuel as well.
I mean I know you guys turn your fuel up to get a little more out of the truck, but what or how does that link to your turbo boost. Just a thought I guess, but I am leaning toward a boost leak in a reference line to maybe he wastegate. I havent dug into the deuce turbos, so I am not sure how they work. My 2 cents is its somethin with the turbo. Maybe you thought your old motor was gutless because the turbo was leaking etc, and something broke loose as a coincidence with your new motor install.
I would at least see how long the motor last at 40psi so that we have something to go off when we play with our trucks.rofl

tm america

From what little I know about turbos, I think the turbo is your problem, not your fuel. Or maybe they are linked. But you said already the turbo overboosted, and still is above 2000rpm. So why is it, wastegate stuck shut or what. Does the fuel injection get boost reference, so when the turbo spiked it added fuel as well.
I mean I know you guys turn your fuel up to get a little more out of the truck, but what or how does that link to your turbo boost. Just a thought I guess, but I am leaning toward a boost leak in a reference line to maybe he wastegate. I havent dug into the deuce turbos, so I am not sure how they work. My 2 cents is its somethin with the turbo. Maybe you thought your old motor was gutless because the turbo was leaking etc, and something broke loose as a coincidence with your new motor install.
I would at least see how long the motor last at 40psi so that we have something to go off when we play with our trucks.rofl
The turbo on a deuce doesn't work like that... The way a deuce works is simple.. more fuel =more boost.THe turbo doesn't have a waste gate. So it can get out of control pretty quick if to much fuel is intoduced or if the engine is overreved.. It is designed to work at a certain rpm and egt.. When more fuel is intoduced the egt goes up the expansion of exhaust gases in the manifold make the turbo turn faster thus producing more boost ..Which makes for higher egt ... its a chain reaction.. and it happens very fast.

tm america

I believe he has a LDS427 Turbo on this truck.
i had it on the other motor i'm gonna be switching it onto this one as soon as its nice out for a couple days...i like the avatar pic..[thumbzup]right now i have a whisler c turbo on the .i use the turbo gage and ussually keep it around 10-12psi.. Till i get my good turbo back on there i have been taking it easy on it..

sandcobra164

I've turned my fuel up without Pyro gauge. It blow's a very nice cloud of smoke, pitch black when hitting the throttle at idle. I've got a boost gauge and it's never hit more than 15# on a heavy pull dragging a truck out of the base I work at. Your truck is on fire to put up 40 plus #'s of boost but you'll be doing a head job again pretty soon. I'm in the same boat, I've got the infamous oil leaking out the head on the passenger side of the block

Sutphensvc

Check your IP. I had an American Bosch on a Mack 675-237 that the gov messed up on and it went wild. It had more power, boost, and speed than before; then the motor went critical before I could shut it down.

I had the pump rebuilt, and kept it as a spare(the new motor was complete).

I had a guy in Columbus, Ohio who had a hole-in-the-wall shop, but was really good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks