• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wth?Deuce making to much power?

Green Toys

tm America, I am the one who made the FCD adjust on the fly, It moves the FDC ramp up and down, I am willing to bet that your FDC has stuck. If your make any fuel mods a good pyro is a must, and make sure you take the time to install in the manifold, NOT post turbo, up to 300 Degrees off. On mine I have hit 1500 at only 10 pounds of boost. and have had 20 pounds of boost @ 900 degrees. as you know................ YOU NEED A GOOD PRYO!!!!!

The adjustable FDC is the way to go, and yes I know I need to take it back apart to post pictures, but it is very simple to mod.

Have fun and don’t melt it!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hay GT ever try and grap the main fuel stud. The one with the two nuts. That can be pulled out by hand to. The stud attches to the fuel wedge and by haveing a cable on that you could go from mild to wild even more.
Did you just hook to the servo?

Green Toys

Just the servo, still have to set the nuts to get stock fuel when fdc is leaned out , the cable operated fdc gives the ramp more travel. From stock to holy crap I can't see behind me!

bill2444

I had something like that happen once. I had to change a plugged fuel filter on my secondary wvo tank. After filling the housing with fuel and new filter on the side of the road, I took off an once i hit second gear it just launched and had tons of power for about 500' and settled down and has been normal ever since. I think with the plugged filter i must have drawn some air into the lines somehow at high vacum.

91W350

Reading this thread kind of concerns me as my truck will really bellow out the black smoke. I never run over 2200 though and seldom over 2000. It pulls strong and walks right over hills in high gear, even with a trailer on. I hope I am not set up for a head gasket failure or an exiting rod. It blows black smoke on idle and tapping the throttle will belch a black cloud that cleans up right away. I suppose I better get a pyro. Glen

G-Force

Check your rpm at full throttle.....sounds like your governor isn't governing correctly......if you run it like this you could be asking for a major engine failure......but whatever happens.....take good pictures......

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen don't know what pump you have but you could try turning the droop screw clockwise to reduce fuel from 1600 to 2200 rpm. There is also the smoke cam that has a angle set for you motor.

tm america

So from what i'm getting i think i'm gonna check the fdc to make sure it's not sticking and aslo verify the gov is working right still although i belive it's probably gonna be the fdc ... i'm gonna do the cable set up on the fdc while i have it apart and put a egt and new boost gage on there to ...any other ideas ?

91W350

Thanks James, I do know the Air Force disconnected my FDC. I suspect it had a steady diet of JP8.

A buddy was following me in his M1009 and snapped these going through town tonight. They are cell photos, but you get the picture. :driver: Glen

Attachments

tm america

i drove the truck again yesterday with my friend ... he agrees it sounds smoother like it must of had a plugged injector that freed itself up..I tested the governor and it is working .. I also looked at my old injection pump from my other motor looked like i went about 1 turn on that one but i had to go three turns to get the same responce from this motor.. So i'm guessing it was plugged all along thats why it was so down on power from the time i put it in.. I;m gonna turn the fuel down, install new boost gage and a egt .. Plus i'm gonna switch to my good turbo and do the cable adjustable fdc while i'm at it so for now i'm just rounding up parts and waiting for some good weather:-|

pipefitterl83

Well I disconnected the FDC. I did not put the cable on it yet. I am still undecided. I installed a boost gage and turned up the fuel 1 full turn. I make 10 psi at full load. I make no excessive smoke and plenty of power. I may get a pyrometer, well see. What I will eventually do is install a methanol/water injection system. I already have one on my supercharged ford lightning. It works great I run cheap gas with 7psi of boost with no detonation. Oh and 400 hp!! Methanol on a diesel will add power and reduce egts usually by 200 - 300 degrees F. Ill update you all. please don't jamb me up with questions about methanol. research it yourself, I did. just google Snow Performance

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your rpm at full throttle.....sounds like your governor isn't governing correctly......if you run it like this you could be asking for a major engine failure......but whatever happens.....take good pictures......
Take videos. from several angles, with lighting.

tm america

I think i may have finally figured out the problem..The motor i put in the truck had sat for a long time.When i first put it in the truck it was low on power so i turned the fuel up... It was fine for a while. Then it went crazy making way to much power and smoke. I put an egt and new boost gage on there to try to figure out what was happening.. Then on the way down to haspin it would just fall on it's face like the motor shut off but it would still idle. I tried new filters that didn't fix it.I bypassed the fdc no luck there. So finally i pulled the fuel bypasses out and looked at them..First the one on the secondary-final filfer cans.. It moved freely but had some rust on it?So i changed it and cleaned the bore.Then i pulled the one on the hydraulic head apart.. It wouldn't even come out when pulling it with a magnet..It was sticking... So i changed the assembly out .. I drove it right before i changed it and it was acting crazy. And right after i changed it it is back to holy crap power.. SO my guess is it was partially sticking from the time i put the motor in .Then i turned the pump up to compensate . not that i have proper fuel pressure it runs like a raped ape. I'm gonna drive it to work to verify the problem is solved. But before i did this It would act up if i drove it hard for five minutes .I took it out for about 45 minutes last night and all was good

Keith_J

The American Bosch injection system uses a single plunger which supplies fuel to all injectors through a distributor. The modulation of the injected quantity (IQ) is determined by a collar which closely fits the plunger. In this injection pump, the plunger and collar are oriented vertically, with the collar in the bottom most position, no fuel is injected. Sorry these pictures show a horizontal orientation, it is the same system, only a Robert Bosch GmBH (German):

In the American Bosch pump, the control collar is directly controlled by the governor, more accelerator pedal biases the governed speed which if not reached, causes increased fuel. On the control collar side, it is wetted with fuel, on the governor side, engine oil. There is a bushing which keeps the two from mixing, yet allowing the governor to control.

After years of non-use, this bushing can become jammed or hard to move. This is what I believe caused the over-fueling. The lever controlling the collar stuck in the up most position and the governor's centrifugal force was unable to pull the collar down.

You can remove the stop plunger cover, then cut the safety wires and remove those screws to remove the control collar lever. It interfaces with a slot on the collar, you have to remember this and actuate the lever to make sure the collar is moving...pull the lever and clean the bushing, making sure it moves FREELY.

More info HERE:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/41122-injection-pump-repair.html#post454821

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks