• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTH, Found a tank today.

jluv1185

Any updates on the M60? I live in baton rouge and would be ready and willing in the rehoming process of the old girl. I know a few heavy hauling companys that i could call to see if they want to assist.

frodobaggins

When it gets to be warmer and nicer weather I'll ask the museum guy if he has or can have a place ready to display it. If he does, I'll see if he wants to have a tank moving party.

littlebob

Great find frodo. Can't believe I hadn't seen it before. Also couldn't believe how many people posted answers to questions that had been answered ten times.:lol: Keep us posted on the progress.

celticwinds

Sweet find!

I used to ride these dinos! But the M60A3 variant. It appears to be an A1. Continental 1790 ci aircooled diesel with two speed Allison trans. 105 mm M68 cannon, m240 coax machine gun on left of cannon, Browning 50 cal in the cupola. hope you brought her home!

September 19th, 2009.

Dear Frodo Baggins:

Beyond it's being "International Talk Like a Pirate Day", you, sir, have located the ultimate lawn ornament!:-D There are brothers on here having trouble with their neighbors and with inane City ordinance that won't permit a deuce to be kept. While, you, have found the ultimate in humble the troublemakers, heavy duty, O.D. Iron from the Vietnam War Era.
I know guys that will probably trade you their wives, kids and house to get their mits on an M-60! Here I was thinking a guy over in Post Oak with about forty assorted MV's and an M102 Howitzer to tow behind jhis deuce had it all. You, sir, If you can devise a way to come up with a consortium of Steel Soldiers to free this item from its duress, stand well up on becoming a King of the Military Vehicle Collectors, right up there with the Gropenfueher himself, Awwwwnold, who has one from the Austrian Army.
Just let me say that BullDogMack13 will be contemplating what he can trade you for this, but as for myself,:not worthy:

Cheers, oh most ingenious ring bearer....

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Besides, what's not to like about 2 gallons of diesel per mile????
Surely that thing will run on WMO?????rofl

dittle

I'm going to fire our museum's M60A3 up for the year on May 8th. A little PMCS and it should be good to go. They are fun to drive, even more fun to ride in. Worst part of them is having to work on them, everything is heavy, and very hard on the human body.

greenjeepster

Wow this thread attracted a lot of attention. It reminds me of an old cannon that lived on the town square back in Vermont when I was growing up. The town decided to get rid of the old piece and put it up for bid. They sold it and a large number of stacked cannon balls that sat next to it. Then late in the 90s the Army did and inventory of all their loaned out artillery and cam looking for the cannon. Nobody in the town knew that it did not belong to the town...Big Ooopps

It is really too bad that this thing is rotting away because a museum can't get it moved. Then again even if it was up for grabs Frodo did find it and we know how long it takes him to get a stuck deuce moving..... This is a 50 ton tank

Last edited:

dittle

And more gravel/timber as well. You thought your Deuce sunk out of sight, wait until you see one of these sink.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You thought your Deuce sunk out of sight, wait until you see one of these sink.
I was in a tank unit when I was in the AL Nat Guard. One weekend we took the tanks to the range for an exercise.
As they were manuvering through some swampy ground one of them broke through the ground cover into a spring.
The ground was good old Alabama red clay and the tank started sinking nose first at an alaming rate. It got so deep that they had to close the drivers hatch to keep water out. The ground seemed to literally be sucking the tank down.
The crew was at "pucker factor 10" since losing a tank is hard to explain to the the company commander.
They called for an M88 tank retriver and soon had the M-60 hooked up for recovery...the 88 could not pull the 60 out of the pit and almost succeeded in getting itself stuck.
By this time the unit commader had arrived and was not happy to see one of his tanks turret deep in mud.
Another 88 was called and it took both of them to break the suction of the red clay and drag the tank to safety.
That particular spot was marked off with engineer tape and named after the 2nd Lt (Bole) that was the Tank Commander at the time. We called it "Bole's Hole" when ever we were in the area.
The "Louie" was not impressed by the honor.

Last edited: