• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTH, Found a tank today.

CanonNinja

so, without reading through 17 pages of posts, can someone tell me what's going on with the M60? Did the original poster acquire it or something?

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roscoe, where in Spencerville are you? I've got relation there I visit 'occasionally' and havn't heard them talk much of any OD Green in the area, and they know I'm a collector.

roscoe

Roscoe, where in Spencerville are you? I've got relation there I visit 'occasionally' and havn't heard them talk much of any OD Green in the area, and they know I'm a collector
I'm not sure I want to say. If you look back in the thread where people are using the GIS systems to hone in and get pretty detailed looks at peoples property and landscape. On the other hand, there really is no privacy anymore. I'm on CR 72 just down from the covered bridge.

blackwater1

m60

Frodo,

I'm in San Antonio, Tx. and hold my CDL Class "A", with hazmat endorsement.

If you can find a Kenworth tractor (rental) that will support the 110,000lbs and a heavy duty utility drop deck, or lowboy trailer, I can drive it anywhere you want. I'm looking around in San Antonio, for a good rental that's affordable, but I doubt I'll find one. I'd need a triple drive axle, with sliding 5th wheel.
Inorder for it to be legal, I'd need placards for the tractor and trailer that CLEARLY state "Not for Hire". I'm looking for those too.

What's the status concerning the drivetrain of the MBT? Operational? Inquire as to whether or not it's capable of being moved in NEUTRAL.

Keep us posted.

Rabbit
One bolt removes the final drive collar from each side after open rear grate and removing heat shield ( not a big job) but tank can be move short distance without doing any of the above. Nothing locks the track except the manual brake pedal.

The engine is a v-12 cont. aircooled diesel with an A/C two speed automatic tranny.

Pasaway

thread was a fun read.

Anybody else keep thinking of the movie TANK while reading this thread.

So did the tank moving rally fizzle, or did something happen?

Last edited:

Sgt Hulka

Holy Cow! Gotta be an M-60 I believe. That thing looks largely intact, with a lot of original goodies on it! Definitely worth preserving. And they should AT LEAST close the hatch... Man, there's a weird story there...

Orionspath

Collectively, we can do anything.....Obtain the detaills! Share the details......She cannot be left to rust to death behind a parts store! we just cannot sit by and allow this!

joec

I would think one of these could tow it without any problems. Get with a local dealer, and maybe he would loan a operator and tractor out for advertising. They like to show off their goods.

That Quad Track will move it no Problem. Or A same size Case/IH WITH RUBBER TIRES. And heavy Towbar

Crash_AF

It has been determined that a local museum 'owns' it and needs to move the tank about a mile. Oh, and it's an M-60 'Slick'.

If I were closer, I'd volunteer my 816 to help in moving it.

Later,
Joe

hummer998

M60 tank

Guys if you call the local Guard units Battalion HQ or maybe the state HQ contact for the transportation units in the state, and inquire about a training event in moving the tank it may happen. We in Tennessee have done it for museums and VFW's. Its sad that the tank is only a short distance from where it needs to be for display and get be moved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks