• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW2 M26a1 tank retriever/transporter ???

BigDawg41

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this post. I'm new to the M.V. world as I recently bought a M813 5 ton. My wifes boss has this M26a1?(I think thats what it is) and I was able to get a couple of pics today. It just sits in their yard or in a large storage barn most of the time. Occasionally they use it locally to move/lift heavy things as it is fully functional.It has been in their family for a long time. How rare are they and what would something like this be worth in its condition? They may decide to sell it soon but I'm not sure if I can handle something this big or even find parts.Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is unrestored, running, it is worth $10K to the right person. There are not very many of these around anymore. 14.00-24 military tires are hard to find, and were last manufactured in the 80's. Hopefully any parts you will need for this are soft parts that you can manufacture (gaskets, hoses, etc).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this post. I'm new to the M.V. world as I recently bought a M813 5 ton. My wifes boss has this M26a1?(I think thats what it is) and I was able to get a couple of pics today. It just sits in their yard or in a large storage barn most of the time. Occasionally they use it locally to move/lift heavy things as it is fully functional.It has been in their family for a long time. How rare are they and what would something like this be worth in its condition? They may decide to sell it soon but I'm not sure if I can handle something this big or even find parts.Thanks in advance for any help.
I can't begin to tell you what it's worth, but it's really cool. We got to see one at the National Convention in Louisville this past June.

20140626_115604.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VIFsKQDfto#t=202

Keep in mind if you buy one of these, you'll be a really cool guy with a really rare piece of WWII history. It's an exclusive club. Everybody has a Jeep, not everybody has a Draggin' Wagon.

What you also have is a vehicle that I think is rated for something like 30mph and is overwidth, so moving it is a challenge. As NDT said, the tires are a problem and these are chain drive............. lot of maintenance.

All that being said: If practicality was that big a deal we'd all be Honda Civic enthusiasts.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And if you buy it, you need to get as much info about it's history as possible, because you'll be it's next caretaker and one day when you send it to it's next duty station, you have to be able to tell them all about it.

I'd like to see more pics of it and hear how they ended up with it. Are the markings original?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks mostly complete - ++spotlights unobtanium!!, however missing spare tyre gantry/hoist, bottles and looks like the exhaust goes somewhere else rather than up the stack shield. Not sure if the nose is covered with tools towbars etc., like the armoured cab version...
Absolutely needs to be saved by an enthusiast rather than someone who thinks it cool and needs to simply 'move stuff'.

I wonder what happened to the 'soft skinned' one at Aberdeen...?

BigDawg41

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.The video was really cool also and makes me want to get it even more if the price is right.The paint and all markings are original.I'm trying to get more info about its history also.I think the exhaust stack and gas tank on top are someones handy work.Got some more pictures and a video of it backing off the trailer but I don't know how to upload that. I was also invited to come down and drive it around out back in their field but I have to supply my own gas.I'll be sure to bring my own gas tanker cause I'll be out there all day!

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, still has the blackout lights.

You need to buy it and get it indoors.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's cool about this truck is that it is the M1070 of it's day. 60 years of HET development, and they could only get the new one to go 20 MPH faster.

waayfast

IMHO--THE coolest wheeled vehicle ever built!!! My rust lust meter just broke the gauge!!!
A chance to see one in person-very cool! A chance to drive one-waaycool!! Chance to buy one!!!?? (and local so as not to bankrupt just getting it home)-PRICELESS!!
YOU lucky fella!! Go for it, that is one RARE beast. Videos please!!
Jim

Another Ahab

I can't begin to tell you what it's worth, but it's really cool. We got to see one at the National Convention in Louisville this past June.

you'll be a really cool guy with a really rare piece of WWII history. It's an exclusive club. Everybody has a Jeep, not everybody has a Draggin' Wagon.

All that being said: If practicality was that big a deal we'd all be Honda Civic enthusiasts.
IMHO--THE coolest wheeled vehicle ever built!!! My rust lust meter just broke the gauge!!!
A chance to see one in person-very cool! A chance to drive one-waaycool!! Chance to buy one!!!?? (and local so as not to bankrupt just getting it home)-PRICELESS!!
YOU lucky fella!! Go for it, that is one RARE beast. Videos please!!
Jim
That BRUTE is a beaut. I'm in; big time:

- Subscribed.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

If practicality was that big a deal we'd all be Honda Civic enthusiasts.

http://youtu.be/8VIFsKQDfto

Sidebar (NOT a hijack):

- What's that armor in that first couple minutes of video, a Stuart?
(not familiar with the "pick-up bed" kind-of set up at its rear)

- How does somebody get on the mailing list of the MVPA for notices of the National Convention?
(like the Hajj, got to be sure and make that trip once in my lifetime)

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
14.00-24 military tires are hard to find, and were last manufactured in the 80's.
Yes, but are there any commercial tires in a more modern size that would fit those rims as a suitable replacement? Saw a M123 recently that had new looking commercial truck tires on them, and the original rims were in place.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
More Pacific **** from the convention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CegLaFMwmXM

- What's that armor in that first couple minutes of video, a Stuart?
(not familiar with the "pick-up bed" kind-of set up at its rear)
Yes, those are Stuarts, a group called something like "5th Armored recreations" put on active displays at the convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-r2poxq4XM

- How does somebody get on the mailing list of the MVPA for notices of the National Convention?
(like the Hajj, got to be sure and make that trip once in my lifetime)
So you could be a cool guy and just join. The $50 a year is well worth it for the fantastic magazine subscriptions.

http://www.mvpa.org/join/

You could probably like them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MilitaryVehiclePreservationAssociation

We had so much fun at the 2012 (Huntsville, AL) and 2014 (Louisville,, KY) conventions that we're going to Topeka, KS next year and that's a 2,000+ mile trip for us.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of all the trucks I have owned and driven there is a very special place in my heart to one day own a dragon wagon! They fill every thing that I want in a military truck, History, Played a very important role in the armed forces, they are pretty darned rare and they are definitely one of neatest trucks I have ever seen! The Mack 123 is very cool because of all the above but the Dragon Wagon is all that and more! I saw one a while back that was pretty complete and running in drivable condition and the guy was asking 40K for it this one is a little rougher around the edges but if you could get it for anything even close to 10K that would be amazing! Good luck it is REALLY worth pursuing aggressively!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks