• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xtreme 4X4 Deuce bobbed(Spike TV)

BugEyeBear

Suggested project names:

“Major Mudder”

“Major Mayhem”

“General Gravel” (as XTreme has already suggested…)

“Corporal Crawler”

Or simply “Steel Soldier”!?
(would the website object to this?)

Any other ideas??
C'mon guys get creative!!

-Bear-

jrou111

:evil: I can't believe this thread made it to 5 pages without any friggin pics!

Ian, huge fan of the show. It's really cool that you'd come onto SS and chat with us MV guys. When you finish this rig, we'd all love to see it at one of our rallies. In fact, Clinto's rally is in the fall in North GA :wink:

Can you post some pics for us? :cool:

FreightTrain

Banned
Hey,Ian. I will get you a nice M35A2 and throw in 4 16.00x20 tires. Might even come up with amother stear axle if you will trade for that fire truck. Hate to see an original fire deuce die(watch it turn out to be a clone already. M35 with fire bed stuck on it). I am down here in Alabama and will deliver!

Wrench Wench

Even if it's bobbed, if it stays in an OD pattern, I'd love to see it called Project Steel Soldier, but there's prolly some production rule about mentioning unaffiliated websites or products. Maybe we could get together a fund and buy an affiliation? *hint* *hint* Just a little line in the end credits with the URL.

After being on here a few months, I think it's about 50/50 between the purist restoration nuts and a modding mad scientists. Some of us are 50/50 purist modstoration scientists. I say once the paperwork clears and the truck is yours, do whatever your heart desires, all other opinions be damned.

And yeah, careful Ian. Before you know it, you'll be changing the name of the show to Xtreme 6x6.

As for pics of prospective bobbed Deuce projects... Don't we have another thread that's up to 8 [Correction, 9] pages now of just those pics? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...deuce-picture-thread-if-not-here-post-em.html (My fave's the pink and gray camoed one. :D )

And even if a 2.5 Ton axle hits the Xtreme garage floor, I'm sure it won't be there for long. I remember the S-10 Truggy that got a set and you did an entire show on the teardown and rebuild of those axles, so I know you can find another application for it somewhere... or sell it. Someone else has applications for them.. :)

Last edited:

Rattlewagon

Ian, I don’t know what you have in mind for your truck but could I trouble you to possibly help the MV hobby and yourself depending on what you have planned for your trucks brakes…

Please let me explain, these trucks are all fairly old. It has been well over 50 years since most have been designed. The brakes as I’m sure you are aware are hydraulic with air assist. Only the latest A3 version has a dual zone system. All of the others have a single zone, which of course means that if one area of the brakes has an issue, you’re about to have a very bad day…

The M35A3 system can be adapted to the older trucks but the manufacturer will not sell to the public.

Since I can only assume that your industry contacts or influences reach further than most members here, do you know of a supplier or manufacturer that would be willing to take on the task of sourcing or producing parts that the MV owner/hobbyist could purchase and adapt to older M35’s brakes that would upgrade them to a much safer 2 zone system?

I realize that this is a long shot at best, but I figured I had nothing to lose by asking.

Thank you, and welcome!
dan

BugEyeBear

...Only the latest A3 version has a dual zone system...

The M35A3 system can be adapted to the older trucks but the manufacturer will not sell to the public....

dan
Dan,

What are the majpr differences between the A2 & A3 brake systems?

Do you have a diagram of the A3 system?

Is it a complete replacement? OR does it just require a few additional components & some extra plumbing?

THANKS!

-Bear-

Rattlewagon

Dan,

What are the majpr differences between the A2 & A3 brake systems?

Do you have a diagram of the A3 system?

Is it a complete replacement? OR does it just require a few additional components & some extra plumbing?

THANKS!

-Bear-
The major differences are the A3 has a 2 zone master cylinder, proportioning valve, and an additional airpack.

there is a TM for the 2 zone system. its in the recources section under technical manuals and named SMARPI9-2320-209-14P

that explains the function of a true 2 zone system.

thanks,
dan

BugEyeBear

The major differences are the A3 has a 2 zone master cylinder, proportioning valve, and an additional airpack.

there is a TM for the 2 zone system. its in the recources section under technical manuals and named SMARPI9-2320-209-14P

that explains the function of a true 2 zone system.

thanks,
dan
Thanks Dan!

That's pretty much what I'd guessed the differences would be.

I'd have to imagine that once you figured out an appropriate dual master cylinder, and a suitable proportioning valve, the rest should be pretty easy!

HARD TO BELIEVE that someone hasn't put a kit together for MV nuts to upgrade their rigs with!! Seems like this would be EASY MONEY as most of us would buy it!!

-Bear-

DeuceNewb

How about adding Central tire inflation to it so you can air down and up from inside? Rear steer is a great idea, as are bags. Go with the twin turbo d-max...you'll actually be able to move it, the stock motors just don't have any power. if the bed is still available let me know,i'm in nc and could come pick it up.

kurtkds

I about fell out of my chair when I saw that at the end of the show.. I can't wait to see it being worked on..

I'm all for "field modification" Just keep the OD 'cause gloss gets scratched on the trails.;-)

ida34

Some of the late model (late 80's) deuces out of the Air Force came with dual chamber master cylinders. It was not exclusive to the A3.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can pick the bed up and bring it to my place and hold for whoever wants it. Shoot me a PM if anybody is interested.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoever has spoken for the bed post up so everybody will know. That way people won't be hounding Ian asking about it :wink:.

Jakob

I'm excited to see this build. I imagine that some products that are often used will be incorporated. Here's a few things I'd like to see though...
1) A 5.9 12v Cummins with an Allison automatic behind it.
2) 20" double beadlock wheels with WIDE tires.
3) Cruise control, a stereo and A/C (Hey, why not be comfy on the way to the trail too?)
4) 4 wheel steer w/ at least a hydro assist up front.
5) Front AND rear winches
6) Definitely air ride seats
7) It'd be interesting to see an exo-cage as well. Something that could handle the weight of a Deuce rollover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks