• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

your camping trailer loadout recommendations

Mark2X2

Here's a theoretical for you. You're building a camping trailer, one you can take to rallies and everything you need for your trip and to stay comfortable and fed should fit in this trailer. Doesn't matter what the trailer is, M101, M105, M416, civvy trailer - doesn't matter.

Question is: what would you pack along as the BII (Basic Issue Items) list for your camping trailer?

Please let's keep this serious - no "I want a jacuzzi and a 72" flatscreen in my camping trailer". If that's the case buy a Winnebago. I'm talking about a small single axle trailer that is your expedition/camp trailer, and everything needs to be for that purpose.
In my civy rig for family camping with the boys and wife.
I use a 20lb propane tank with a Distribution Post.
Cabela's: Mr. Heater Compact Propane Accessories
I run a two burner stove and table top grill and the lantern on top. Keeps the smell and heat out of the travel trailer.

I always take my Makita 1/2 cordless drill and impact driver, they both fit in the same case with charger, two batteries, bits, and drill bits. Also have a flashlight, floresant light, and two more batteries. And a scrounge of assorted screws. 6' Aluminum step ladder.

Pawnshop

Years ago my GF and I went to the Kerrville Folk Festival and one of the camper trailers had a large garden tiller on the back. They were loaning it out so the tent pitchers could level the ground under their tents!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I would strive to do building a camping trailer would be that most of the gear would be ruggedized. Most everything I buy is surplus anyways, so mostly things that are mil-spec or actual military contract stuff would be used, with few exceptions. Military gear lasts longer, can take a beating and doesn't fall apart in short order like modern civvy Chinese-made camping gear.

Probably the only exception to that rule are tents for me. I've found through experience that military tents are generally hot in the summertime, heavy, and a PITA to set up by myself. I like simple-designed civvy tents, they are lightweight and can pack into a small space, and will last a while if you take care of them.

PsycoBob

A spare sleeping bag, travel pillow & a fuzzy microfiber/fleece blanket. Never know when a sleeping bag will get wet or forgotten. (doh!) Last fall's RCR was rather chilly until I hit a Walmart for a cheap bag & blanket. Pillow can double for support in case of back/knee problems. .mil closed-cell foam pads are cheap & pack nicely, too.

A spare propane tank if your stove uses them. 20# tanks are nice, but a single green tank can be loaned or used for a lantern in addition to acting as a backup.

For running water, a buddy & I recently found 5-gallon 'corny kegs' for another project. They're usually used for dispensing soda or homebrew beer, but my buddy is using a pair of them for running water for his sink. Pressurized by a bike pump or by truck air (filtered by a paint-sprayer disposable filter). With 2-3 tanks, all he has to do to use the next one is move the disconnects & repressurise.

I'll likely just use a regular .mil water can with a modified lid for a self-venting lock-on/off spigot is an idea for those worried about huge water tanks mounted high up. They're tough & you really only need to modify one lid & refill it. If I need more than enough to fill a coffee pot, I'll likely unscrew the lid from a 5-gallon tank, anyway. Nothing stopping you from fitting a frame-mounted monster tank for reserve capacity.

/edit: Add a few spare .mil folding can openers. Even with a can opener on my multitool, I still want a spare or three.

harleyhouse

The side receivers make great holders for tables and umbrella mounts.
I plan on useing one on the side to hold my instant hot water heater.

Propane tank, 30 gallon water tank, 12 volt pump fire extingulisher, first aid kit and shovel are mounted on too!

Attachments

Last edited:

41565chevelle

Great thread. I just picked up my M416 with the intention of pulling behind my K5Blazer. I am going to use it camping with the kids, hunting and of course off-roading. I have a few ideas and am stealing a bunch from here as well:beer:

Hope to get some progress soon, including a axle flip, extend the tongue for the new Pelican cooler, fab some mounts for gas/water/propane tanks and locate the batteries under the tongue. They will be charged by the vehicle as well as a solar panel while parked. Pics to follow.

The load out you guys have all contributed to is awesome. Lots of things that you would not normally think we're listed in The posts. Thanks for the ideas:beer:

Attachments

41565chevelle

Maddawg,

I think you should start filling up your M105 trailer with this stuff and see how everything all fits in there. then maybe try it out. see what your sustainability is with all that gear. It would be interesting. :grd:
41565chevelle:

This is my favorite extended tounge M416 The builder did such a good job it looks factory.
Post pictures as you go.
Thanks for that pic of the extended tongue. It does look very factory for sure. To keep with the load out thread, I noticed the custom cover over whatever was on the tongue, possibly a cooler, generator or a storage box to keep load out stuff dry and secure.

Do you know the owner/screen name? I would like to track him down and ask a few questions. Appears he has changed the wheel hubs for a different pattern and had the fenders widened for the wider tires.

I also located a rack for 2 .50 cal ammo cans in the classifieds. I was thinking one or two of those to mount boxes for recovery tools, small back-up flashlights, green propane bottles and some MRE's

Also, my apologies for the duplicate post... New to the iPad!:oops:

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something like these camping trailers were very poplar in the Netherlands in the 70s and 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlkFcVz3-Y0&feature=player_embedded

The first 1-2 minutes are sale blabla but then it gets interesting. This version has the sleeping area up high with all the other stuff underneath it. My brother had one a bit different, there the tent folded out to one or both sides of the trailer, and the trailer floor then became the lower floor of our living space.

Below a really tested commercial concept. Probably not really what you want, but I thought it had some nice ideas worth copying.
The first 1 minute and the last 3 minutes are sales talk, but from from 50s to about 3 minutes it shows a nice concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSbOOU7wss&feature=player_embedded

I did not think about the additional hardware yet to take because I thought these things have standard equipment. But its a nice starting point.

Last edited:

nchittendon

I've been attempting to set up my deuce for camping here lately. I don't have a trailer yet, so I can't contribute in that fashion. However, my first thought (usually the one you stick with and modify) is to get totes that are as tall as the troop seats. Not sure how many exactly yet. But once I have those, I will take some MDF to lay across the top, and an air mattress. The MDF panels will easily fit across the nose of the truck bed. Like 3 or four sections. That still leaves me the rear half of the deuce to still store larger items if need be. That's about as far as I got. I'm sure something similar could be used on the trailers as well.

trucknut

re mdf

I've been attempting to set up my deuce for camping here lately. I don't have a trailer yet, so I can't contribute in that fashion. However, my first thought (usually the one you stick with and modify) is to get totes that are as tall as the troop seats. Not sure how many exactly yet. But once I have those, I will take some MDF to lay across the top, and an air mattress. The MDF panels will easily fit across the nose of the truck bed. Like 3 or four sections. That still leaves me the rear half of the deuce to still store larger items if need be. That's about as far as I got. I'm sure something similar could be used on the trailers as well.
I would not recommend MDF as it is very heavy and offers poor structural characteristics. I would use Baltic plywood. It is made up of many layers of hardwood. and is much stronger. Reinforcing the plywood with some hardwood strips would create more strength and might allow you to work wit 1/2 rather than 3/4 material.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks