• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel injector Rebuilding/testing and TM and compression testing

JasonS

I recently bought a set of 6 injectors from a popular auction sight for ~$100 delivered to my door ("buy it now" and they still had several sets left). I understand the desire to rebuild and test something but hard to go wrong at this price.

rustystud

That info in post #58 is wrong those are too small, I got them out last night and had a couple of the original injector shims with it but it'll be tomarrow before I can measure them for you. Been in a deep dark turd filled hole all day....WoooHooo
Depressed ? or digging out a latrine ? Either way, hang in there ! The weekend is almost upon us !

Ford Mechanic

I was working on the pumps in the main sewer lift station in town, small room 30ft down, with forced air ventilation. Much fun!

I had to go back and re look at the shim pics to make sure I had the right ones. I'll try to get the info to marrow

Ford Mechanic

So I've finally found the right shims that I used
Original Shims 0.407in or 10.35mm ID
0.592in or 15.05mm OD

A/C shims I used were 0.395in or 10.04mm ID
0.552in or 14.04mm OD

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pop tested and adjusted my injectors last night in the Deuce. 74M35A2 was a great help to me, so quick shout out to him. haha. Now, my injectors were not the shim type adjustable. mine were screw thread where a 1/4" allen wench adjusts pressure on the spring instead of shims. It is a very nice design and super easy to do. It took me about a half hour to pop test and adjust all the injectors. They used to pop off around 2400 PSI and I adjusted them all to 3000 PSI on the dot. This is one nice thing about this screw thread way of adjusting the spring pressure of the injector, it is real easy to adjust and does not take much time. Side note: the cap that goes on the injector to lock the adjusting screw down, I would not torque that to 45 ft/lbs like was mentioned previously for the shim type injectors. I would just torque it by hand to maybe 10ft/lbs because the threads are much finer and the additional torque would not be needed.

I noticed this morning the truck cold started (60 degrees F or so) MUCH easier than the day before. I can start it up and the and the "hunting" engine RPM at idle is gone. It idles very smooth right after I cold start it and only idles about 50 RPM slower than normal warm RPM which is normal and acceptable. My EGTs are noticeable cooler which is also a nice perk. I am going to wait and see if any more power comes out of it when I drive it more since I adjusted the injectors. My thought is that it needs a long run to clean the injectors out if they were dirty before from not spraying a nice clean pattern. You guys have seen the military cartoon where a sick multifuel will benefit from a 100 mile trip with fresh fuel... that is my thought here, I might see additional gains, but not sure.

Below are the pictures of my injectors after I took the top nut off. The pictures show how fine the threads are to adjust the nozzle pressure. You can see the hex inside used to adjust them. It was very easy to adjust them. I am very pleased. :)

20140908_220758.jpg20140908_220823.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Did you find out a part number ? Or who the A/c compressor was made by ?
Thanks.
No, A/C job I did the other day had smaller shims. These were the largest shims I've ever used, they came off older Ford compressors from the 70's and the 80's. I have several left but they're fairly thick. I could measure them if you'd want me to send them to you. I also have 3 of the original injector shims that are really thin.

oddshot

These were the largest shims I've ever used, they came off older Ford compressors from the 70's and the 80's.
I've been trying to remember which compressors were used on Fords in that time frame. I think they may have been Yorks ... but I'm gonna have to look that up.

If you ever come accross that rebuild you did, or similar, maybe you could grab the make and model number of the compressor.

RAYZER

I would like to test/adjust/rebuild and clean my injectorsbut have some questions.

Anyone out there got the Injector rebuild TM or info otherwise on how to do it? I haven't seen that info in the TM's I have down loaded. I have axcess to a pop tester that I just have to adapt to my injectors.

What's the best pressure to set them at? I read in a TM 3000psi but have seen other post they set theirs at 3500psi, was there a reason or big differance afterwards?

And lastly I'd like to check compession while they're out, anyone got suggestions how to cobble together something to check it? Or by chance might have the military one that you wouldn't mind loaning out at my expence of course?

I also plan on thoughly looking into all cyinders with a bore scope while all is apart.
I'm doing all of this now, just had the heads off so was able to inspect the condition of internals.
Took a set of injectors that I had from a spare engine and had them tested, they were all worn out and leaked, took the ones out from my runner to have tested, they all were in good shape and went off at 3500 psi!
I'm waiting on a compression gauge I have on order and will gut an old injector to use for the adapter.

RAYZER

Bought this gauge with fittings on ebay for under $40.00, a gutted injector for an adapter will do the trick! Haven't used it yet.uploadfromtaptalk1414633761215.jpg

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still stuck on what pressure the injectors should pop off at. The manual says 3000-3050 I think yet if you look up the injector part number from bosch in their manual, i think it said 3500 psi. So which is it? Is popping off at the higher pressure harder on the hydraulic head/injection pump with the higher pressure?

RAYZER

I'm still stuck on what pressure the injectors should pop off at. The manual says 3000-3050 I think yet if you look up the injector part number from bosch in their manual, i think it said 3500 psi. So which is it? Is popping off at the higher pressure harder on the hydraulic head/injection pump with the higher pressure?
It does seem higher pressure would be harder on the HH, my truck has always run strong with these injectors at 3500psi! I am now replacing my injection pump (to an Lds pump) due to an ip issue, but probably not related to these injectors.

Last edited:

oddshot

I finally got time and money to come together and the UPS guy delivered my ebay pop tester this week so I can FINALLY get onto the FI service and valve adjustment I've been promising Henry.

It occured to me this morning that I will probably not be putting many injectors through this pump.

It might be a neat idea if those of us who have these pop testers to set up a a booth or table at the next SS Rally in GA and gave a demonstration on its use. And then allowed anybody to clean, test and set their injectors and not charge a thing ... but maybe put a jar for donations to Wounded Warrior or some other worthy charity. The more pop testers we set up, the faster the line would move.

Just a thought.

oddshot

So I pulled all my injectors last night and I'm suprised it runs as well as it did with all the carbon obstructing the tips! I brought my bore scope home wanting to see inside the cylinder but couldn't make it that far in due to it. The pics show what I'm talking about. So now I also need to find something to clean the injector nozzle bores in the head.... Any ideas? I'm thinking if I can find a steel round wire brush to clean them with and maybe chuck it in a drill would work well. Just to be clear the carbon/coke deposits are below the copper sealing washers not the whole way up the injector body. Now to adapt the injectors to the shops pop tester.
Hey FM, I have a thread going down in the alternative fuel section. I'm wondering how many miles have you put on your truck and what type of fuel have you been running? Also, do you have any pictures of the coked-up tips of your injectors before you cleaned them? If you get a chance, could you post your information/photos/data on this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...bers-amp-injectors-from-2-engines-running-WMO

Thanks

Ted

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks