• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobed deuce on 53" xzl's

55Cameo Thanks for the nice comments. Sure would of done what we could to help you out.... Anyways.. i know its taking up space on your thread but got any more info on the project truck.. that thing is looking really nice [thumbzup] [thumbzup] :driver:

55Cameo

It is a 1955 Chevy Cameo pickup (screenname 55Cameo :p ) tube chassis, rockwells, narrowed front, 2 1/2 ton discs, 2" overson rear shafts w/lockers front and rear, 502 chevy crate motor, th400, np205, NOS fogger, fiberglass body, coilovers, 4 links, and a whole lot more. Those pics are a couple of months old. It is comming along, but I don't seem to have a lot of tiime when I get side projects like the Deuce, not that I'm complaining. Hopefully I can have it about finished this fall.

55Cameo

Off Road Fab, I paid a local machinist $400 to make me 4 sets of tube clamps for 2" O.D..120 wall DOM about 6 months ago. How long have you offered these? I was going to get them from ballistic fab but they hadn't made that size yet and didn't know when they were going to get around to it. WOW, I need to look over your site more carefully in the future.

well i'll be honest.. right now our site looks like crap. but its in the process of being redone. It will have more pics, and information and products on it here very soon. Our last web guy didnt do a very good job. Heres a link to let you see a little bit of how the new sites coming along. it will have alot more stuff when its done and look alot better.. http://www.web-lizard.com/orfw home.htm

Anyways back to the question at hand. We've had them for a long time.
We also carry coil-overs and all other kinds of suspension products. It will be a great relief once the new site is done and running.. then its on to more things, and products :lol:

jwaller

xzl's say on the sidewall 55mph on highway. but I run 65-68 with mine for hundreds of miles at a time heavily loaded on the 818

55Cameo

New site looks great, wish that I had come by you sooner! Will the FOA coilovers fit the same mounts as a King coilover? 2.5" remote res.,12" travel. I set up my Chevy for Kings, but the FOA's sound pretty good.

sweetk30

quick question for you guys ? what tire seems to be the best on these 4x4 bob jobs.

mich xzl 53"
mich xl 53"
g/y at2as 53"

i plan on daily drivin /road truck/recovery truck/play toy. i have a tire grover hot knife also so i am not afrade to cut them up for better traction.

55Cameo

Everyone that I talk to says that the xzl's run the smoothest on the highway. The goodyears look like they would do great offroad, but they don't balance well. The xl's run good on the highway and do great offroad, but I don't think the treadwear is very good and they aren't as wide. Hope this helped.

well we sell them all. FOX, SWAY-AWAY, F-O-A, and King... but with price comparisons it comes down to King and FOA.. If price is no concern i would go King. BUT thats just my personal opinion. All of our shop trucks run king or our custom coil-overs we make. But were going to run some FOAs on our shop truck here soon to just go play with them. Either one is a good brand. Kings are made a little diffrent then FOA thats kinda were the price diffrence comes in. but its really up to you, and your decision

sweetk30

55cameo did you do any extra bracing for the added frame sections welded in? like mabye a cross member in them to tie them together left and right? or is it good and stiff as it is?

55Cameo

A friend of mine has the xl's and I have the xzl's on mine. With either, we have been able to back out of everything that they won't go forward through without recovery. I had a set of the goodyears but decided not to use them with everyone telling me how bad they ride on pavement.

55Cameo

On the front I welded a couple of straps top to bottom above the spring perches. I didn't put any cross bracing in front for oil pan clearance. In the rear I used a rear frame section that still has the origional cross braces in place. Also straped above the spring eye in front and left the origional plate for the rear suspension and welded around it.

Attachments

55Cameo

Thanks Off Road Fab Works, I guess I will probably go with the King. If for no other reason my truck will be painted blue :roll: I'll give you a call when I need to order them and I will start looking to you first before I purchase anything else. I also am going to need a sway bar. I'll call with dimensions. Thanks again.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks awesome, Cameo. My hats off to you :beer:

Really nice job, it looks great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks