• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100% used motor oil fuel.

tsmall07

I just found a pump that I can afford. Do you guys think this pump will work ok to pump through 2 filters? I don't care if it takes a while. I was going to use a 10 micron and then a 5 micron filter/water separator. I don't know what pressure/flow rate to use for a pump.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, get a barrel pump. The pressures you will find are much higher. The filters I use is a set of secondary and final off the side of a deuce motor. Even new I see pressures as high as 25psi. Once they get dirty, it gets up to 100psi real quick. None of my filters are 5 micron, you will see higher pressures.

avengeusa

No, get a barrel pump. The pressures you will find are much higher. The filters I use is a set of secondary and final off the side of a deuce motor. Even new I see pressures as high as 25psi. Once they get dirty, it gets up to 100psi real quick. None of my filters are 5 micron, you will see higher pressures.
so where does one get a barrel pump?

and are you preheating your oil before pumping?

randyscycle

At 1 GPM, you're going to be there a while too. That pump is for spraying duties. Generally they won't pump very well with higher viscosity fluids like oil. They also usually aren't self-priming, which means they won't pick oil up a long pickup tube in say a barrel or tank. Most spray rigs have the pump mounted lower than the tank so gravity does most of the work.

gimpyrobb

so where does one get a barrel pump?

and are you preheating your oil before pumping?
No I am not heating my oil. Horrible freight is where alot of members have got theirs from, but they consume lots of air. I got mine from GL, $60 for 2. I had to replace the seals in the one I am using($18), but it is awesome and the deuce air supply can keep up with it. I missed the 1gal per hour part, that pump is worthless for WMO.

avengeusa

No I am not heating my oil. Horrible freight is where alot of members have got theirs from, but they consume lots of air. I got mine from GL, $60 for 2. I had to replace the seals in the one I am using($18), but it is awesome and the deuce air supply can keep up with it. I missed the 1gal per hour part, that pump is worthless for WMO.

aha, so it is an air powered pump......

I am near one, a horrible freight, i was going to use a dual remote filter setup for the filtering, i was thinking something like this below

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year

I am going to call purolator and see which gm type filters that i can get to filter the oil which do not have a bypass on them.....

and what micron ratings i can get out of them

I have a lot of oil and trans fluid around here, at least 600 gallons

avengeusa

The rotor is about 3" deep also it looks like a bowl with a 1 1/2" lip at the top. Google Simple centrifuge for picts.
bought 6061 aluminum, cut to size, and am making a batch of centrifuge bowls

a couple standard 8 inchers, and a couple 9 inchers.....

I will post pics, bought the motors, found them cheap, new

so i am in the centrifuge buisness

stampy

Great! Hey when you get your bowls done pm me with a price I have a buddy who wants one but doesn't want to pay simple centrifuges price.:-D

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago I had the Opportunity to purchase a sharples lube oil purifier off GL. http://www.ussslater.org/decks/platfrm2/purifier.html

We used one just like it on our ship for our main reduction gear lube oil and controllable pitch propeller systems. Not sure what the GPM was, but it would do a 1800gal sump in like 14hrs, and that's recirculating it.

I keep kicking myself for not buying it.

I need to build a WMO set up now, as I can get lots of it here from the locomotives and such.

Last edited:

avengeusa

Years ago I had the Opportunity to purchase a sharples lube oil purifier off GL. USS Slater, Windlass Room

We used one just like it on our ship for our main reduction gear lube oil and controllable pitch propeller systems. Not sure what the GPM was, but it would do a 1800gal sump in like 14hrs, and that's recirculating it.

I keep kicking myself for not buying it.

I need to build a WMO set up now, as I can get lots of it here from the locomotives and such.
you are golden if you have access to wmo from railroad trains

definitely build one

I have a lot of atf, and wmo available also, that is why i am building

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, these locomotives are only 11 gallons in each engine (two cummins NTA-855 engines per locomotive, so only 22gal each time on these) but the other ones I work on are 250+ in the sump. That will keep me on the road a good long while! :-D

Anyone have problems with storing used motor oil in poly drums or totes?

gimpyrobb

Nope, I have been using 55gal poly tanks for 2 years w/o problems. I have the metal 250gal hho tanks for bulk storage too.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gimpy! Good to know. I have a 250gal HHO tank as well, was looking into getting another one and mounting them on a M105 trailer frame. Voila! homemade buffalo.

gimpyrobb

The only problem I have is when I used the 250gal tank for this last trip, I used a hose hooked to the bottom of the tank to gravity fill my truck's tank. It was PAINFULLY slow. I suppose some iron pipe, instead of the garden hose I used would work better, but I digress.

liquidferrum

i have an IDI ford f250 and it will eat anything. i feed it wmo,(umo) wvo, paint thinner, some gasoline in the mix. i have ran it on 100% umo and wvo. i filter it to 5 micron, because the fuel filter on it (10 micron) is a nominal rated filter, not absolute. that means that the AVERAGE particulate size is 10 micron. so it never hurts to over filter. umo tends to have less water in it also. and i read somewhere that it has more BTU/gal than diesel.

just get it out of there before the temps drop.. i start to struggle with 100% below 70 degrees F

centrifuge is the way to go!!