• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100% used motor oil fuel.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A centrifuge is best, I cut my oil with gas and pump it through 2 deuce filters and a fleetguard filter. Specs and pics of my system are in this thread.

stampy

I have a centrifuge and love what it takes out of the waste oil and wvo I run in my truck and cars. I filtered before I fuged and filters work great too. a centrifuge catches down to .5 micron which saves you money in the long run but the centrifuge is expensive mine was 1500$ but I figure I will make that up in a year with fuel savings and I save the cost of dewatering filter and regular filter replacements. My current setup involves a 55gal drum flipped upside down with the bottom cut out. The drum heater heats the oil to help drop out the water and help the trash separate out from the oil. I have run a diesel/wvo blend in my benz for over a year no probs. The Deuce is currently in the shop (getting a muffler) and I will probably run a blended wvo/umo/diesel in it.

rwright07

how many times do you run the oil through your centrifuge? all of the research i have done on the subject says the oil must be heated to ~100 or hotter and be run through 3-4 times to reach .5 micron filtration.... not to bust your bubble. but it is more effort than you seem to be advertising.

not calling you a liar, just clarifying. dont want people to hurt their engines over a misunderstanding.

stampy

No problems here is a better description. Mine is a "Simple Centrifuge". I heat the oil (with a drum heater) to about 120 deg F( less than a standard water heater) and run it through once! it is easy in my setup. 55gal drum on stand gravity feeds the centrifuge, I set it and walk away. I do drain off any excess water from the bottom of the barrel before I start. I have no problems with water or trash. I run about 1 gal a minute possibly less, but who cares if you can leave it? The hardest part is collecting the oil and pumping it in to the 55 gallon drum that heats it. I have never tested the oil to see if I got it down to .5 microns that is what the simple centrifuge literature says at my temp and speed.

Last edited:

stampy

Also standard disclaimer is( said in my best aw shucks voice) "this is what I do"...you can do what you like. I offer no warranty or take any liablity for your system. After years of running diesel vehicles on other than straight diesel (no problems) I think I have a pretty good idea what works for me. If you are around north central nc and want to see my setup just pm me. I will get picts when I can get the camera from the wife.

rwright07

cool thanks for clarifying. ive been looking at "Simple Centrifuge"s stuff and it looks like one of the better ways to go. Did you buy the whole kit of build your own stand/container?

stampy

Sure! I actually bought the bowl before they started making the whole deal. Then I found a guy on ebay who built the whole thing and ended up buying his unit(and trading him my bowl for a better price). While the build is straight forward enough on the unit it requires machining capacity that I don't have easily available. If you have a machine shop near you or have the tools yourself you could build it for around 800-900$. The bowl itself is aluminum (so no biodiesel refining!) and about $500 then you need a motor and various pieces of steel pipe and flat plate/filltings. Also I forgot to mention my intake pump does screen off the large particulate so what the centrifuge deals with is small fines. When I have run a barrel of oil I shut down the centrifuge and clean out the bowl. The crap that comes out looks like old dry axle grease( the consistancy of playdough)You get about a half hand ful each run. I have never re-reun any oil but probably will just to see if I remove anymore junk. Search ebay for simple centrifuge mine is the green one. The guy was easy to deal with, and when my unit arrived with some broken screws on the top(ups's fault) he replaced them all no ? asked!:-D

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to switch to the motor driven centrifuge in the future, but have too much time and money in the fluid driven one. I would recommend the simple one over the diesel craft one.

Dennis

stampy

I agree stretch! the diesel craft runs off of oil pressure which can change the speed of the centrifuge and thus its effectiveness. When I did my research Simple seemed like the best and I have been very happy with mine. Important note in cold climates you will still get gelling of wvo. The only way to remove the heavy fat from the wvo is to do biodiesel reaction(another thread!). Lye will eat aluminum bowl so no refining biodiesel in the simple centrifuge!... unless the biodiesel has been washed, and even then I wouldn't do it in mine!

metrobus

Waste Motor Oil in nonmultifuel engines

I used to pull for Fed-Ex overnight between Asheville & Charlotte, NC, would get behind a fleet of trucks that dumped their oil changes into the fuel tank. You could smell them for several miles before you saw them. Last I knew, the govt made them stop using waste oil. I have always been leery of putting the abrasives and contaminents that are in waste oil through the fuel system of a diesel engine.

stampy

The above thread speaks of filtering sometimes down to .5 microns, I think that takes care of abrasives. As to the used motor oil, it is a petroleum product and blended with gasoline or another thinner should run in a multifuel fine. I would not run mine on it exclusively but I see no harm in the occasional as long as it's filtered and blended. Those trucks are standard diesels and not made to run multiple fuels either. Technically waste oil is slightly radioactive so nothing you do is ever without risk.

Last edited:

avengeusa

I may attempt to build a centrifuge, i have a lathe and mill, this might be fun.....

I am definitely going to run wmo

stampy

The basic set up is easy if you have welding skill. imagine two bowls one with a diameter of 14" and another with the diameter of 8" the 8" one is slightly(about 2") shorter than the 14" one so the rotor that fits inside can sling oil on to the 14' one. Both have individual drains. This is the basic setup. The 8" fits inside of the 14' and the rotor fits inside the 8". I highly reccomend at least buying the rotor from Simple Centrifuge(about 500$) as it is aluminum an less subject to vibration( besides do you really want a steel brake drum rotating at 1700 rpm anywhere near you):-Dand they have the diagrams for the centrifuge too.