• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 CUCV M1009 build thread

Mohawk Dave

Hows the fuel economy on the 1009 with 37" tires
I just went to Barstow this weekend for the Balls Out 250 race, and I got 19/20 there and back. The roll cage has added weight of course, and I still don't think this thing is running 100% flawless. I am new to diesels, but I think it needs the equilvalence of a gas-tune up. I have replaced filters, fluids, belts, and hoses, but I need to really go through it and do more research on how the injection and so forth can be maintenanced to be tip-top.

I expect less mileage when I install the M1028 axles with the HMMWV 24 bolt rims and 37 Mil-Spec BFG Baja T/As, but hopefully the turbo and gear vendor will cancel that out and put me back to around 20. Time will tell.

Best wishes,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

HUNDY,

Thanks for the compliment! Pleasure doing business with you as well. For any of you SS members looking to buy MVs, HUNDY is a great guy.

-Dave

fatstring

Dave,
Do you CAD up stuff like the seat mounts and the cage? Or are you *freehanding* it? Those mounts and the cage are just too slick!

Mohawk Dave

Dave,
Do you CAD up stuff like the seat mounts and the cage? Or are you *freehanding* it? Those mounts and the cage are just too slick!
fatstring,

Just "freehand". Thanks for the compliment. We build desert trucks, so we get a lot of practice. The credit really needs to go to my Friend Jono, he has what I call "God-hands". lol

We started out with notchers, grinders, and chopsaws. Now we put hydraulic to the bender, Jono has a plasma cutter, and Roy has a plasma table.

Band saws are awesome. For the cage we use an angle finder, then back and forth to the bender till we get it right, the seat mounts we use cardboard or stiff paper, trace onto flat roll, plasma cut by hand, then clean up with a flap disk on a grinder.

Best wishes,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

Updated w/ photos

Hey guys,

Here's some more photos. My new Baja T/As, alternator 1&2 rebuilds, My secretary Kelly installing the domelights and wiring, us at Barstow with the dogs in their Mutt-Cage, the Lowrance 6000c installed, fuseblocks installed but not complete, and overview photos.

The fuseblocks have 12 circuits each, the pass side is full time and then the driver side is off the 80amp relay that will be excited with the ignition.

Still need to build the console and add all my other electronics and do everything else I've mentioned. Any questions, ask away.

Enjoy and best wishes,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

photos 1/3, NOTICE THE DIFFERENT CAPACITORS IN PHOTO #6, THE OLD ONE I'M HOLDING, THE NEW ONE IS THE BLACK ONE INSTALLED.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

Mohawk Dave how is the build coming? did you sandblast the blazer before you painted it?
Caladin,

No, I do not have access to a media blaster, actually I do, but couldn't use it. The build has slowed as I just picked up another M1009, and I'm trying to buy a 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins now. The M1009 in this thread was meant to be a DD, but as I will be swapping in the D60/14FF axles and so on, I think I better have a different DD M1009 that is closer to stock, so I am working on the other one now. And the Cummins will be nice also.

Too many projects and too shallow pockets. Lol.

I have done some electrical to this M1009 and just got all my guages in the mail, so I need to plumb and install those. I will post some pics tomorrow of what is new.

Thanks,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

Hey SS,

I've been on the run lately, taking the Blazer out every weekend. But I thought I'd share some photos.

In the last few weeks we've gone to Kern Valley and Whitewater rafted, camped, went to Sequoia NP and saw 100 Giants, went to Lake Isabella, Azusa Canyon OHV at San Gabriel, Lake Arrowhead Hot Springs, Silverwood Trail to Lake Arrowhead, Crestline to Heart Waterfall trails, did a Model shoot with Pro photographers and some models-used my Blazer, firearms, and gear as props.

This past weekend we left Friday night and went to the east side of Arizona, and camped off Anvil Rock Rd and the 40, slept on the roof of the Blazer, then woke up and went to the Grand Canyon, then drove to Knob Hill, NV -which is AWESOME! -(the big rocks), camped there, then woke up Sunday and hit the trails, then went to Lake Mead and went swimming and took a bath, then to Las Vegas to the House of Blues for a concert at 21:30 hours, then to Laughlin to camp-arrived there at 04:30 hours Monday morning, woke up several hours later, ate, and headed home. Very Good trip. Average 16 MPH, including off road miles, loaded down, doing AZ and NV highway speed limits-70/75 mph- and hitting lots of hills. No problems with the Blazer.

Next weekend is to Escondido to shoot, San Diego to see friends and then to La Jolla to kayak in the Caves.

Weekend after that we are racing Pikes Peak and will hit Moab on the way back, but I'm not sure if I will drive or just ride with my buddy in his Yota 4x4. We will see.

Here's some photos of the last couple weekends. Enjoy!

Respectfully,

Dave

Attachments