• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 CUCV M1009 build thread

Brett09

Just need a cummins. You know you can always call me for a photo shoot like in the last 3 pics, I can help those poor girls get on and off that truck. I would sure hate to see one of them fall. rofl

Mohawk Dave

Hey Brett! Yea, next photo shoot I will let you know! We're thinking Lucerne Valley. And yes, I need the Cummins! No joke. I will call you tomorrow about that.

-Dave

Brett09

No hurry, all though I would flush the IP and injectors with stanadyne since its going to sit till Jono gets backs. I did flush the old diesel...it was getting pretty bad. Anyways, can't wait to see the 6bt go into this build.

Mohawk Dave

Brett, hopefully it will go in before Jono gets back. My buddy Brian just got a Bronco, and we need to cage it, and I need to build my center console, bumpers, and roof rack, and I don't want to wait for Jono, so Brian and I are going to buy a welder, notcher, bender etc.

This means I can drop the Cummins in. And I'm in a hurry because I want a/c, but I am going to wait till the 6BT goes in so I can run the civi Blazer air on the firewall, b/c the 24 volt stuff will be removed with the 6.2 and the 6BT will allow ample room. And So Cal is getting hot. Laughlin was HOT yesterday.

I'm thinking some upgrades to the 6BT to get about 5-600 lbs/tq out of it. That will move this hunk of steel pretty good.

-Dave

OL AG '89

Dave,
YOUR THE MAN!!!
Love the build.....
from the outside, just a plain jane ol CUCV, but on the inside your all business.
too cool
I see the GPS on the dash, what other electronics you have hanging around?
picture of y'all using laptops did you install one of the mobile internet routers?

Again GREAT TRUCK!!!

Brett09

Deny-T Fuel Pin, POD injectors, gov. spring and a bigger compressor and hosing on the turbo should get you the fuel and air you need to get there. Those are the most common upgrades to the VE pump 6bt that I have seen. You can change the turbo out but the one in there has zero shaft play and spins free.

As far as the welder call me, don't want to mess with the COC of the forums.

Mohawk Dave

Dave,
YOUR THE MAN!!!
Love the build.....
from the outside, just a plain jane ol CUCV, but on the inside your all business.
too cool
I see the GPS on the dash, what other electronics you have hanging around?
picture of y'all using laptops did you install one of the mobile internet routers?

Again GREAT TRUCK!!!
Hey OL AG '89, Thanks! Here are some pics of the electronics so far. I have not built the center console, so the wiring is just temporary at the 2 fuse blocks. It is all heat shrunk, sealed, and safe, but looks like a small rat's nest-I know. It is really getting under my skin. lol

Have the Lowrance 7", the Garmin Nuvi 5", Sony mech-less radio that my IPOD goes into-or any other usb device, and I mounted MTX Marine 6.5 component set speakers with the tweeter on the A-pillar and the mid/low on the B-Pillar.

I also have the Tiny-tach in, once again in temp location, but working. We have been using my Go-Pro Hero camera on the trails, and that thing is totally awesome! Next to go in is my Satellite phone, carriage, hard line phone, and speakers and mic.

As far as Global Internet, I have been researching that and I will be getting this Hughes 9201 Broadband Satellite IP Terminal & WLAN BGAN. This will allow me to access internet everywhere (except N & S Poles-lol) which is good for our adventures. Hughes 9201 Broadband Satellite IP Terminal and WLAN Access Point - GlobalCom

Right now I rooted my Smartphone and can tether to the laptops for internet, but only if my smartphone has service in the first place. I am waiting for a global satellite that allows your smartphone to connect to server- but they do not have this yet.

Photos below

Any questions, ask away.

Dave

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

Ok, I'm going to attempt to get a Youtube video on here that my friend Kat from Austria made of us out at the High Desert going to Lake Arrowhead Hot Springs.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URs9GBY1ZdM[/media]

pacebm

Hey Dave, absolutely incredible build. I'm OD green with envy.

Could you give me some details on the HMMWV beadlocks? Did they require recentering or spacers to install?

Cucvnut

Hey Dave, absolutely incredible build. I'm OD green with envy.

Could you give me some details on the HMMWV beadlocks? Did they require recentering or spacers to install?

yes they need spacers or you can recenter them. trail worthy fab sells them.

Mohawk Dave

yes they need spacers or you can recenter them. trail worthy fab sells them.
Yep, what I did for now was buy 6 to 8 lug adapters, (they are 2-piece) and are 2" thick. This is temporary until I get the D60/14 axles.

Being 2" thick is two-fold. One it spaces the rim which I needed, and two it put the load near center of wheel, so I do not have negative stress on the spindle or the wheel bearings, which I would've if it was possible to run stock HMMWV wheels.

So once I get the D60/14 in, I can have them recentered as needed by TWF. Also, I will be removing the "bullet proof Magnesium run-flats" or whatever they are, and will be buying and installing the low profile ones from TWF so I can air down.

I have aired down to 18 PSI and do not think I was hitting the run flat as many internet-heros claim. However, these tires are dang-tuff, so there wasn't a lot of side wall flex anyway.

And as to the strength of the adapters, I have yet to locate one person that has broke them. I have acquaintances that have pre-runners down here in our deserts and they run them- due to lack of funds for extending track width, and they do not break theres either. I have done some Moderate+ trails, and had some weight on one front tire, and have not had a problem. IMHO, you'd have to be breaking more than just the adapters to cause problems. However, I still want the D60/14, because, afterall, that is the correct way. But for now, this suffices, and we're having a blast.

Best wishes,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

Dog Cage (Cargo Cage) and Dome Lights

Hey SS,

I was asked how I did the Cargo Cage. So I thought I would expand on that for you guys.

This was originally made to keep my K9s from trying to drive. Two pitbulls and a Mastiff on your lap is super uncomfortable. But, I have found it to be super usefull for keeping camping equip and firewood seperated as well.

I built it with 3/4 .80 wall tubing that I bent with an EMT bender by hand, then welded, then welded the 1" wire mesh onto it. I designed it to attach to both the B-Pillar and the C-Pillar so that it can be the way you see it now, or when I fold the back seat up, it is directly above it, seperating the cabin from the back. Once again designed for the K9s.

To attach it to the Pillars, I found the quick-release clamps pictured. They are for DJ equipment to hang lights and speakers from their ladder systems at parties and what not. They come with an insert that allows attachment to 1.5", or remove as I did and it will work with 2". IIRC, they are rated for 35lbs each. More than enough. I think they were 10 or 12 bucks each at Best Buy.

I then welded fender washers to the wing nuts that secure the cage to it, and I welded fender washers w/ a larger inner diameter to the cage so alignment would be easily obtained. The dog-cage has three washes as the rollcage is not symetrical on the B and C pillar, thus sharing one spot and splitting the other 2.

I also took photos of the dome lights. They are driving lights from Kragen or Autozone, like 26 bucks. SUPER BRIGHT, which is what is needed for finding camping gear and everything else. A regular dome light just don't cut it for me.

Any questions, ask away.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

Mohawk Dave

Do you do . Best in the desert?
hahaha. Cucvnut, when that said Do hou do, or whatever it was, I thought maybe it was Latin or something and searched the web forever trying to figure it out, but obviously came up empty handed. all for a typo. lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks