• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 CUCV M1009 build thread

redline300

Thank you for the cargo/dog gate info! I wanted it for my 3 pitbulls too! The kind of gates you buy from pet stores are too flimsy. They busted through one within a week and now they know they can get through it any time it is up...lol

Mohawk Dave

Palomar Divide Trail and Julian, Ca

Hey SS,

Thought I'd share a few photos. We did the Palomar Divide Trail near Aguanga, CA this weekend. 24 miles and climbs to 6k+ elevation. Real Beautiful.

Then we went to Julian and stayed with my Uncle and Aunt.

I joined a website called Trails.com, it's 50 bucks a year, but they have 49k+ trails, linked with USGS maps, topos, etc, and every thing is accurate and consolidated. So if you do a lot of adventures, you might want to check it out. That's how I found this trail. Before I learned of trails from word of mouth or stumbling across them on forums, and not knowing if they were legal to drive on etc. This makes it safe and easy.

Anyways, here's the photos. Enjoy.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

New Additions

Hey SS,

Here's my newest additions. I bought a web belt, cut it, and riveted it to the door panels and put on molle pouches. Great for holding cell phones, chargers, whatever. Keeps the clutter down inside the center console.

And here are my seat covers if you haven't seen them. They are Smittybilt Gear.

A place for everything, and everything in it's place.

Enjoy,

Dave

Attachments

Mohawk Dave

Very nice build, your inspiring me :)
any chance there are plans or blueprints available for that cage?
Thanks! No, we don't have any prints for the cage. Be nice if we did, but we just built it in the vehicle like we do the race trucks. It was no more of a pain than any other vehicle, but a little tricky-especially where the roof raises where the cab meets the shell. When I researched Blazer cages, a lot of guys had the top door bar going from the A-Pillar to the B-Pillar just dead-tube into a triangle plate that was welded to the B-Pillar and its hoop. We did not like this for us, so we bent ours up. Here's a pic I found online of what others do. It will hold, but not my cup of tea.

-Dave

Attachments

rjinga

... Before I learned of trails from word of mouth or stumbling across them on forums, and not knowing if they were legal to drive on etc. This makes it safe and easy....
I drove my first couple of National Forest service roads/trails on Father's Day; I think I'm onto something here. Pretty good maps online, lots of roads that you're permitted to ride on, and no charge for access!

Mohawk Dave

I drove my first couple of National Forest service roads/trails on Father's Day; I think I'm onto something here. Pretty good maps online, lots of roads that you're permitted to ride on, and no charge for access!
Way cool! My good friend works for the Forest Service and in the last year and a half we have done pretty much every trail in the San Bernardino Mountains, but as I travel out of town/state every weekend on our road trips/adventures, it was becoming more difficult to find trails that we hadn't accomplished. For instance, I am leaving in a couple hours to go to Pikes Peak Colorado. We have 3 race cars up there, and I have got trails now in AZ, NM, CO, St. George Utah, and NV. We will also do Moab and Arches.

But I definitely agree that there is a ton of usefull info on the web and I think that getting out there with Mother Nature is just the coolest thing.

Best wishes and good luck on your travels!

Dave

Hey Dave,

Did you ever put in upgraded Backup Lights?
I saw a thread that you posted asking about wiring a relay for B/U lights.
Just wondering what you worked out.

Im trying to repurpose the rear blackout light holes and am working on reverse lighting for this area. I have fabed up some mounts using the B/O light brackets, but would love to see if you have come up with something.

Thanks

Josh (BVDL)

Mohawk Dave

Back up lights

Hey Dave,

Did you ever put in upgraded Backup Lights?
I saw a thread that you posted asking about wiring a relay for B/U lights.
Just wondering what you worked out.

Im trying to repurpose the rear blackout light holes and am working on reverse lighting for this area. I have fabed up some mounts using the B/O light brackets, but would love to see if you have come up with something.

Thanks

Josh (BVDL)
Hey Josh,

I have not done this mod yet. Mainly b/c I have not built my rear bumper and roof rack- which is where I will mount the BU Light. But I will use a relay (prob 20 amp) off the reverse wire to a SPST Switch and a dedicated wire from there to the light itself, as Recovry4x4 and 319 advised.

I don't know what lights you plan on using, but I am assuming they are fairly small to go in the B/O holes, so it may be possible for you to simply tap into the reverse light wire with your new lights. But I am not a sparky, and do not know if your new lights will cause overload to the power draw. I believe the stock wire is 14g, and IDK what the max output/draw allowance is on this. I also do not know if you can simply put a larger fuse in the block, and if so how much more safely.

If you're considering this, I would post a new thread asking Sparkies. I run all new wiring b/c I have dedicated fuse blocks, and I can run larger wire, and feel more comfortable with the install. Let me know what you do.

(Also, if you plan on running new wires, I believe you could go 24v off the bus and use 24v lights, and still use relay and SPST switch, which requires less amps thru the wire, thus allowing smaller wire. Confirm this with Sparkies as well, b/c I am only 99% positive of this, not 100%, and I will NEVER pretend to know something I don't.)

If you have deep pockets, go with HIDs. I know they use less power and are superior to everything else.

I will be using LEDs around my roof rack for lighting up the campsite, and/or trail. Here's a link. LED Light Bars and Lighting - Vision X USA Home - Vision X USA

Best wishes,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

Why would you want to replace the back up lights on a cucv? They are already there and usually work fine unless you have some problem with them?
I'm not necessarily replacing them, as much as I am adding to them. Out on the trail, the stock lights do not put out enough lumens to view the amount of terrain required in particular instances and situations.

Respectfully,

Dave

rjinga

Out on the trail, the stock lights do not put out enough lumens to view the amount of terrain required in particular instances and situations.
I agree. Are you talking about mounting new lights inside the existing BO openings in the back bumper? Has anyone done that before? It is kind of small and low; however, any additional light would be helpful. I wonder if some of those little LED driving lights would fit?

Dave,

Here is what I have mocked up.

032.jpg
033.jpg

The kit is $19.99 and comes with wires switch and relay.
I was thinking about throwing it on the same wire as the existing light, but since its all a complete kit... I guess ill just run the whole kit and kabootle out to the back.
I'm having a rack fabed up and will likely throw the other one up there.
Pics to come as I progress. Ill start a new thread so as not to hijack.

BTW the light doesnt fit inside the rectangular hole but more behind it. Fit is really solid using the bent black out light mount.

Thanks for the advice.

BVDL

Mohawk Dave

Baldyviewdesignlab,

Looking good. Keep us posted with some pics when you get it done.

And Rjinga, I will be mounting my reverse lights up on my roof rack. The BO spots are too low and small for my
requirements.

Happy Trails,

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks