• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 Locking hubs group buy

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So who is going to do a step by step installation thread with plenty of pictures?

Or is it as easy as unbolt, bolt back on?

Do they need axle shafts with splines at both ends?

Guess it is time to go look up some locker threads.

kearns

So who is going to do a step by step installation thread with plenty of pictures?

I just got done replacing all the seals and gaskets/fluids /grease on the front axle.

The hubs include basic directions, but really it's just as simple as un-bolt the old ones and bolt the new ones on.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes, they do require axles with splines on both ends. So if you intend to put them on a rear axle (the stock rear axles are part of the hubs, unlike the front), you'll need to contact Overson's and buy a double spline axle shaft. ~$260 each last time I looked.

If you are putting them on the front, yes, you'll unbolt the front hubs and bolt these ones in place. I'd recommend still seeing the TM for the procedure and proper torque of the 8 hub bolts. Also you can search here and reference the famous "stepXstep" thread for servicing the front axle and boots.

Edit: here's that thread
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8460-Front-axle-seals-and-boots-stepXstep

There will be a gasket but I'm still going to run a bead of RTV silicon. That's also how mine came from the military (gasket with RTV on it).

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think everyone, once you receive your hubs, should leave a positive feedback for patracy for making this deal possible and honorably handling the funds.

Update:
I also think positive feedback should be left for ccequipment for going to the lengths they have for this deal.

Last edited:

kearns

Step 1: remove old hub. 3/4" socket
IMG_7986.jpg

Step 2: clean mating surface
IMG_7987.jpg

Step 3: Put in 4x2 setting, remove top cap from hub
IMG_7988.jpg

Step 4:
Bolt on hub using old bolts/lock washers. Kit includes a gasket, so I did not feel the need for RTV sealant, but that's up to you.
Torque bolts to 85-95 ft lbs. (according to TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2 pg 14-54)

I contacted C&C about greasing the new hubs, here is their response:
"
We do use a little grease when we install them. I know AVM says not to but we always do"
IMG_7990.jpg

Step 5
Install Cap with included gasket.
The screws are very small, and feel like they'd be easy to cross-thread. so be careful, and get all of them started before tightening so there is wiggle room.
The instructions call for a T15 torx bit, but my kit had allen bolts. The torx15 fits ok, but I used a 9/64 allen wrench
Torque to 26-35 in lb.
IMG_7991.jpg

Rinse lather repeat for the other side.

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have to paint my rims brushed aluminum now, in order to match the lock outs. Although your black rim with aluminum hi-lites is nice also. Thanx for the front end version of the step Xstep.

I will have to wait until noon for the mail to be delivered, and even then it is not a sure thing . :(

Better find something else MV related to do with the morning.

Last edited:
Received mine in the mail yesterday, put them on this afternoon, and went on a little drive. Install and test drive took about an hour and a half. My truck has no power steering, and they seemed to help a little at slow speeds. Thanks Patracy for putting this together!

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have no received any, but I know they have shipped the first wave, and will be shipping another wave today.

FloridaAKM

Thanks, the plant I work @ receives USPS @ a different location than UPS & Fed Ex delivers, so I am trying to figure where it is being delivered. As of now, no delivery; but the 12 day outage is still running............:-(

hkyplr18

Got mine today via UPS but I bought new windshield frames from them too so I think that's why it shipped UPS. Others were shipped via USPS I believe. I called C&C this morning and they gladly tracked it for me.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think everyone, once you receive your hubs, should leave a positive feedback for patracy for making this deal possible and honorably handling the funds.
Ehh I don't really need/deserve the feedback. That should go to C&C for their offering of this. I merely facilitated it. As to handling the funds. I treated it just like I do any money to the site here. I collect it, log the info, then place it in a folder in the safe and then forwarded out the money. But I understand that has to be a great deal of trust on all of your parts to allow me to do so.

Now to the hubs. There was one late addition, C&C will be contacting them if not already. The other hubs should have been shipped out yesterday as well. So more of you will start seeing them.

I've installed a pair of mine onto the cranetruck already.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I checked mine, seals were fine. (Actually the screws holding the dial on were only two of them so it was pretty easy to check) I haven't checked the other set though.

FloridaAKM

Awesome, mine arrived today. The secretary said that the box looked destroyed & I need to come look @ it. I have a USPS box that is 75% destroyed, 1 ruined green gasket, 1 locking hub & a plastic bag with a bunch of small styrofoam peanuts in it. There is a sticker from the Postal Service that says Received Damaged, Box Open, Without Contents.

Great, now what do I do with this mess....................................I hate USPS...........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks