• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 F450 Hauling 32,000 lbs. (5 TON)GVWR=44,500

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they fine you by % of overload, or by # over?
Michigan is by the pound generally $1.00 a pound anr no plea bargins to get reduced if you have prior over load tickets. They generally write them to the company instead of the driver.

Bighurt

Do they fine you by % of overload, or by #
It varies state to state, some by the lb some percentage. Connecticut is a percentage, New York by the lb. And all seam to have a bracket system in place.

IE 5-10% is one value 10-15% another per hundred lbs. New York adds a kicker for precentage over axle weight. So not only do you pay for the weight but then they compile the axle fine as a kicker.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looked for the towing capacity of an F450. Found this,
Properly equipped, an F-450 Super Duty can tow up to 24,400 pounds and carry up to 4,920 pounds.

Bighurt

Just looked for the towing capacity of an F450. Found this,
Here DOT watches for that kinda hauling. Driver with a pusher axle down or a pick-up hauling that load are sure signs. Not only is there a good chance being over-loaded but in this case the driver is probably not licensed for the weight. Your typical endorsement is up to 26,000.

So the likely hood of a class A driver driving the pick-up is slim. Where as a Class 8 truck with a over sized trailer probably has a permit. Of course most get checked for permits cause it's a nice fine if they don't have one or used the wrong bridge.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, the OP is going to be surprised if and when he ever posts again.......

;-)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is surprising is that as a seller the OP has a very clean record and a good name.
How deep did you dig?

Up until now, none of this was about the OP, just about trucks and trailers.

Last edited:

spicergear

I think something only just touched on is that whatever the payload capacity is on the truck...that weight can be taken off the loaded gooseneck weight as it technically shares the load. If the payload capacity is 5,000lbs and and the trailer is 25,000lbs (for discussion) then you pull that 5k off the trailer. Trailer weight now is considered 20k. Still doesn't get you around the rating of the coupler though...

flighht2k5

Banned
You guys are so funny. You'll complain and gripe all day long about someone carrying heavy weight with a civilian tuck. Then turn around and brag that your 2.5 ton carrying 30000 pounds or 5 ton tucks carrying 50000 pounds or whatever it is. Then you all high five each other for a job well done.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't the trailer (and it's frame) simply be limited by its total capacity rating? If the trailer was rated for 12 tons, thats it. No matter how it's loaded (other than less, if it's impropperly loaded)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who's complaining? We're discussing.

I like to educate myself, especially when I might want to do the same thing.

spicergear

Wouldn't the trailer (and it's frame) simply be limited by its total capacity rating? If the trailer was rated for 12 tons, thats it. No matter how it's loaded (other than less, if it's impropperly loaded)
DH, I know what you're saying but they allow that with goosenecks since if the hitch is correctly located, it's loads the rear axle of the truck safely. You'll never, ever see any load off measure on a bumper pull.

A company Fayette Trailer is maybe 20mi from the farm and I check in with them from time to time. They had a big goose with tandems and dual with a bent front frame on it. The guy was hauling wood and had like 35,000lbs on it. It was only 20,000lbs overloaded...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, it would be sensible to register your goose neck, for more than it's max capacity. Here in NY, we register a trailer, for it's maximum load capacity(gets pricey).

That's interesting and confusing, on the weight transfered to the truck.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a towing expert, but as I read the OPs post he says that 30% of his load is on the trucks rear axle. He said he checks rack axle to make sure it isn't overloaded and if so moves the load. That would be the same as a semi adjusting the trailer bogies.

I think anyway. That's how I read it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're no posting expert either, DUG.

Double post!:razz:

Last edited:

spicergear

Percentages are one thing but actual scaled axle load is another.

The other thing that will nail you is the actual printed Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) the manufacturer puts on the truck. You go over the GCWR and you're rolling the dice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks