• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 F450 Hauling 32,000 lbs. (5 TON)GVWR=44,500

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Individual axle load, I had not considered.

The other thing that will nail you is the actual printed Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) the manufacturer puts on the truck.
Now, that's where using MV's would get you quick and easy(as we all feel they are under-rated on the data tag or in the TM).

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP posted he scales his load out so not to overload the axles. He also posted to subtract the gooseneck weight. Makes sense to me, I think. He also mentioned he is stopping at the required scales.

I suppose if he put a gen set and a dump truck on there, maybe pulled off a bumper and posted Get Er Done everyone would be more accepting.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a GVWR sticker on the trailer? What does it say?

I'm only interested in the trailer capacity. I would be towing with a heavier truck yet. I would like to have over 20000 lb load cap. I still don't see how your trailer can be that high.

GVWR = load + trailer. Nothing else.

GCWR = truck + trailer + load.

GAWR = actual load on axles

Here's the sticker that should be on your trailer(adjust for 12K axles).
Kaufman, the place where I got my trailer has a triple axle gooseneck with 38k gvwr

Bighurt

That's interesting and confusing, on the weight transfered to the truck.
And slightly incorrect. The load transferred to the truck doesn't have a bearing on GVWR of the trailer. It's 24k period. Not 24k plus the 15% it places on the truck.

The pin weight 15-20% depending on trailer is so you can determine weather your hauler can handle the pin weight on its GAWR rating.

Yes I've been overloaded but I didn't exceed, GVWR of the trailer, GAWR of the truck, or the hitch rating on either the trailer or trucks Gooseneck hitch.

spicergear

GVWR 13,300 - payload 5260 = 8040 unlaiden vehicle weight

8040 unlaided vehicle weight + 24500 MAX trailer load (with 4.30's) = 32,540 ...basically matching the 33,000 listed below for the Gross Combination Weight rating.

Payload: 4920 lbs (2011), 5260 lbs (2012)
GVWR: 13,050 lbs (2011), 13,300 lbs (2012)
GCWR: 33,000 lbs (2011 & 2012)
Axle gear ratio: 4.30:1(2011 & 2012)

23,000 5ton truck + 7,000 empty trailer = 30,000 in tow + 8040 vehicle weight = 38,000lbs. 5,000 over the factory's GCWR. Big Hurt is correct that the axle weights play a big part...so does running a dually truck over rig scales. Green light yes, legal-legal...well... ...that's a matter of timing. :mrgreen:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems crazy that guys are getting equipment violations for inside duals being a small(5% I think it was) percentage different from the outer dual air pressure. And yet, someone can get away with towing a load that way over exceeds the hitch connection rating.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Doubt the DOT has a book on hitch rateings, but bet thay do on tire load pressures

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's funny how salesmen can be.
When I was shopping for a car hauler I was not well versed in trailer ratings.
I was looking at 7k & 10k trailers. I would ask about a 7,000lb capacity trailer.
When I bought mine I asked if he had a 7k capacity trailer w/bobtail, & how much.

So I own a 7000lb GVWR Trailer that weighs 1800lbs, which leaves me a 5200lb capacity. :(
The trailer has brakes on all 4 wheels, and the total load is well within the tow vehicles ratings. The tires load rating exceeds the trailers load rating.
So as far as this episode goes, 'The vehicle on the trailer is a lighter version of the original and only weighs 5k' :wink:

If I knew then what I know now, I would have stepped up to a 10k GVWR trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

I have the '08 F450, before they neutered the 450 axles. I have a MUCH higher load rating due to my S110 axle compared to your 80 series axle. I've put 6000 lb on my truck and I'm telling you you'd KILL your 450 with 10,000 of pin weight. As stated before your axle ratings INCLUDE the weight of the trailer. I like to tow my trailer with 5k on the pin. I have 2 12,000 lb disc brake axles and I refrain from anything heavier than 18-19,000 on the trailer WITH 5-6,000 on the pin.

The weigh stations are gonna have a field day with you!

Attachments

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for all the info,
I uped my reg Gcwr at the MVA from 33000 to 44500. When i stop by the DOT for info, they tell me they are concerned with the tire ratings, Modifaction to the truck (air bags etc) truck and trailer ratings. With 20k I was fine. I have loaded the trailer with 20,000lbs at the most for now. goose neck weight was around 5k. I parked the 5 ton on the trailer for a photo shoot and stir up some battering back and forth, which has happened. Its a good source for info. I will take the 5 ton to the Cat scales which is close by, put it on the trailer and see what the the scales say. They I will stop by the Local DOT with my weight on each axel print out and see what they say, but without the loaded trailer. Will keep you guys posted with the results.
kevin..
ps, i met a guy at the rest stop with a 2002 F350 with my same mods pulling a 4 car trailer. His GCWR was 44,500 also. He had tires and bags. runs up and down the east coast all the time. Stops by each DOT, never a problem. Remember they weigh your truck and trailer, if its off or dosent look right , they pull ya. Never been pulled yet..! 7K of hauling as to date.

spicergear

Yes, please keep us posted on what you find out. I'm still questioning how the GCWR of the truck can be overridden by axle weight- seems like you guys may have found a loophole as far as axle weights but the overall legality of it I'm not so sure about. ...especially in states where it's a $buck$ a pound over weight. PA doesn't go buck a pound...they, of course, have some other calculation base.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gross over 26K lbs with a trailer over 10K lbs means class A with medical card and DOT numbers on the truck.
Not in all states. I have a 9200 gvw truck with a 21,000 gvw trailer and I have a class A license but am not required to have a medical card or DOT numbers if I am using it for private use.

spicergear

Found this from FoMoCo- sure its CYA practice...but they did afterall design and build it. It's like the safety factors in chain or cable or even forklift capacitys...sure you're 5,000lb lift truck will lift 7,000lb but carry the steer wheels on a bump.

'If you're ever planning to tow a trailer with your vehicle -- whether it's a car, truck or SUV -- you should be aware of your gross combination weight rating, so you should probably start by learning the definition of a GCWR. A vehicle's GCWR is a specific weight determined by the manufacturer to be the maximum weight of a loaded tow vehicle and its attached loaded trailer. The total weight of the tow vehicle and trailer should never exceed the manufacturer's listed GCWR [source: Ford Motor Company].
Similar to a vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating, or GVWR, the gross combination weight rating is a specific maximum weight limit determined by the manufacturer. The major difference is that the GCWR takes into account two individual (yet attached) vehicles -- the tow vehicle and the trailer. However, the gross combination weight rating definition doesn't really state how the weight rating is calculated. According to Ford Motor Company, the GCWR is calculated by adding the following weights together: The vehicle's listed curb weight, allowable payload, driver and passenger weight and trailer weight [source: Ford Motor Company].
It's important to remember that the GCWR is not an actual measurement of the weight of a tow vehicle and a trailer, but rather the combined maximum weight limit that the manufacturer has set for the two vehicles once attached.
The primary reason for setting a GCWR for any vehicle is safety. Overloading a tow vehicle or a trailer is dangerous enough. Overload both and you've really got a problem. Not only is a heavy load difficult to control on the road, but several other components could also be at risk. For example, the braking systems may overheat and fail, reducing or even eliminating the possibility of safely slowing or stopping your vehicle. The tires may not be able to handle the extra load, potentially causing a blow out situation. The engine and transmission in the tow vehicle may overheat due to the added strain, causing a mechanical failure. Components within the tow vehicle or trailer's suspension system could bend or even break, causing you to lose control on the road. The truth is that a variety of problems could result from overloading. Again, you should never surpass your vehicle's GCWR."

"

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks