• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton HET

Carlstealth

20141018_175627.jpg20141020_182035.jpg20141020_182023.jpgHere are some updated photos.The deck is all revamped and fitted to the truck and mounting completed.It has guides and bolts to the original 5th wheel brackets that the tree spade also connects to. The rear hitch is complete just have to wire the trailer plug.I will be installing LED trailer lamps that are good for 12-24V so I can use the trailer with any of my trucks. I have the picker location established and doing some mods to the outrigers to fit between the tanks and wheels.I will be adding an outer channel to the frame under the crane and using a piece of smaller channel on the inside to box the frame as well as using unbent U-bolts to fasten the crane. The deck has a hydraulic motor mounted to chain drive the winch. Had to shorten the Jin poles to clear the crane.

Last edited:

Carlstealth

Sorry for such a lengthy absence. Building a new shop so was busy with concrete till the weather changed. My truck is out in the snow bank waiting for me to take it in and install the hydraulic wet kit and do some final adjustments.I will post anything new when I get it done.

Carlstealth

Finally back at it again with help from friends.Getting a carriage built for the picker to mount on the frame.Have the wet kit also getting it installed and a manual pto kit.I tried my best to get a hot shift pto but northing fits in the space besides a manual shift. I have the doors and frames removed from the peterbilt cab. Getting the fuel tanks relocated to allow room for outriggers. I will have pictures soon.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow this is becoming one of my favorite threads! Great work, excellent fabrication, and I love the interchangeable modules you are creating!

One thing I've noticed with my M931A2 is the wasted space behind the driver's side cab; I wish that the spare tire carrier would have been more in line with the exhaust & muffler, a better toolbox or headache rack/binder rack could have been fitted behind the spare tire carrier.

Any plans on modifying the spare tire carrier to fit closer to the back of the cab, and still allow your knuckleboom to fit?

Great work, thanks for sharing & inspiring!!

Carlstealth

Wow this is becoming one of my favorite threads! Great work, excellent fabrication, and I love the interchangeable modules you are creating!

One thing I've noticed with my M931A2 is the wasted space behind the driver's side cab; I wish that the spare tire carrier would have been more in line with the exhaust & muffler, a better toolbox or headache rack/binder rack could have been fitted behind the spare tire carrier.

Any plans on modifying the spare tire carrier to fit closer to the back of the cab, and still allow your knuckleboom to fit?

Great work, thanks for sharing & inspiring!!
Thank you for your interest.

The space behind my cab is part of the plan to extend the cab.It worked out to be about 20" after everything else was fitted,just enough for some added leg room and some storage. The plan for the spare tire is to build a mount strong enough to mount it on top of the cab.I can use the picker to lift it off.Space is a premium on these tractors but I prefer it to be compact and as functional as possible.

I have some talented people behind me helping with the finer parts of the build so I can't take all the credit.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say you are well on your way to succeeding in your goals! Please keep up the good work and thank you for sharing with us!

M275Fan

This build is coming along well. I have high expectations for the cab after the quality of work that's gone into it. Its going to be one of the most bad a$$ 5-tons out there. This thread actually gave me the idea to put an Oshkosh P series cab on a 931. You and all the other skilled guys on this forum have my family thinking I'm crazy. LOL. Back on topic, nice work man.

Carlstealth

army truck 13.jpgarmy truck 15.jpgArmy truck cab change.jpgarmy truck 9.jpgarmy truck 7.jpgarmy truck 4.jpgarmy truck 6.jpg

Well its finally time to build the 5 Ton het. Got the cab all stripped down today and started the frame structure. Got a good plan together and now just time and welding to complete.

Carlstealth

army truck 17.jpgarmy truck 19.jpgarmy truck 18.jpgarmy truck 20.jpgarmy truck 21.jpgarmy truck 22.jpgarmy truck 23.jpgarmy truck 24.jpg Making great progress with the cab.Things are falling together just as the should. Not much at this point can be a problem. lots of welding fitting and assembly left. I have some creative ideas to add that will make people ask questions.

162tcat

Awesome work! I'm saving pics and your project is going to be the inspiration for mine. What door frames are those? Are they the same type used on Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks?