• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons under a deuce

mudguppy

did i miss the disc brake info? who made the caliper hat that bolts onto the drum brake axle mounting flange? what caliper/rotors are you using? got the front designed yet?

USMC6062

Well I'm finally getting started on the front suspension. I didn't have any luck finding a piece of 5 ton frame near by, and the one I did is apparently made of gold. So, I decided to straighten the one I had, it had a buckle in it from a wreck I'm guessing. I got it straight and Dirt71 knocked the paint off of it with his blaster, so I don't have to weld through 30 years of grease and paint. I got everything cut and ready to weld, but needed to figure out where the frontend was going to sit. I am moving the frontend foward 3" to make the bigger tire set right in the fenderwell. I took a couple pics today while I had it jacked up to it's future ride height. To give you a reference, I'm 6', so it's definitely gonna be big.

Attachments

USMC6062

I got all my front suspension parts and wheels blasted today, and I am getting close to finishing my front frame section. The steering is taking a bunch of work to get how I want it, but it should be a lot better than it was stock on a 5 ton. Don't worry, that big hole for the steering box is getting covered by a plate that ties both frame rails together, and only the pitman shaft sticks through.

Attachments

USMC6062

The frames are getting bolted together through the top of one into the bottom of the other, and I also welded plates to the side of the added frame that will be bolted in the same holes as the deuce spring mounts. I saw the other thread, why do you ask?

USMC6062

Got some painting done this weekend and got started on my spring perch/hydraulic ram mount.

Attachments

USMC6062

Not really any info I want to give out. I have a bunch of time in research and fabrication to make them. I hope to sell them as a kit if I have enough interest, after I test mine once the truck is together though.

mudguppy

Not really any info I want to give out. I have a bunch of time in research and fabrication to make them. I hope to sell them as a kit if I have enough interest, after I test mine once the truck is together though.
i understand. looks like very cool stuff. are you going for 5T kits or planning on any 2.5T stuff - i am in the market for 2.5T disc kits.

nonetheless, really good looking work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks