• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A quiet deuce?

Awesome Possum

It makes me laugh because my truck was a movie star and is so BEYOND far from historically accurate.
Uhh....the whole "historic accuracy" thing was tongue in cheek. He just didn't like the smoke, which gradually was getting worse. Just saying that at ground level, the exhaust can get you in trouble.

Uhh....the whole "historic accuracy" thing was tongue in cheek. He just didn't like the smoke, which gradually was getting worse. Just saying that at ground level, the exhaust can get you in trouble.
Now that my truck is a 'Pickup', it's just like all of the other Chevy, Dodge, Ford diesel pickups with the exhaust at ground level. How can it get me in trouble?

andytk5

Cool pics, I'm working on an out the back with muffler and a diverter valve to retain the stack for fun. Should be cool. It's all done up to the muffler, just have to run the pipe up and over the rear axles then out under the rear with a turndown.

randini

Perhaps I am the only one but, I love the sound the truck makes when I go under an overpass, with my RT foot all the way down! When ever I go under an over-pass, I alway Goose-it. I love that sound!

Cool pics, I'm working on an out the back with muffler and a diverter valve to retain the stack for fun. Should be cool. It's all done up to the muffler, just have to run the pipe up and over the rear axles then out under the rear with a turndown.
I see you've discovered 3 1/2 inch pipe doesn't bend very tight, especially on compound bends like around and under the frame at the right front wheel well. That's why I mitered mine, worked great.

Broke Down

In case some people don't know, there are a lot of diesel pick ups ('94-'02 dodge, '98-04? Fords) that use 3.5" exhaust pipe from the factory you can rob bends off of. Just find a buddy that has swapped his exhaust for bigger and swazall it when he's not looking...lol.

andytk5

I see you've discovered 3 1/2 inch pipe doesn't bend very tight, especially on compound bends like around and under the frame at the right front wheel well. That's why I mitered mine, worked great.
No doubt! Looking back I should have done that too but honestly I never even thought about it. I have a chop saw that would have done it, though a band saw would be nice. THis was my first real pipe bending/welding experience and alot was learned. Like leaving wire in your mig for a long time lets the moisture in and makes welding a B! My 80yr old Navy Master chief neighbor pointed that out..aua

I bought a 180 degree mandrel bend and cut that in various sections then rewelded it to make the compound bend.

Last edited:

CaptinChaos

I love the idea of a quiet deuce. Although i would agree with others on here about running it high to save the masses from a black cloud. The one deuce i did ride in and be around i can see why ear protection was needed. But id rather just enjoy the breeze and possibly some tunes instead of the headset. Id like to be able to hear the traffic and whatnot.

andytk5

Went on a drive across town to the WM store to pick up soem things and wow:driver:. I switched between the stack and the muffler half way there and it was a huge difference. The stack just has so much bark as well as turbo scream, very cool! With it switched to the muffler the intensity is dramatically reduced to the point we could talk easily. This was all with the windows down vents open. Still need to finish routing it over the rears out the back.

Developed quite a serious rattle half way there, turns out it was the fire extinguisher bouncing around in the mount..:doh:

Observation: From this MV noob to other noobs looking for quiet. My truck came with a C turbo and I love it, would never get rid of it. If you're ONLY concerned with sounds levels well, A - stop reading this and take up knitting. B - Don't get one with a C turbo, or swap turbos later to someone looking for one. Seems to be many. IMHO the C is just part of the cool factor (for me).

Last edited:

andytk5

once you run the pipe "all the way to the rear" you can ditch the muffler
You're probably right as it relates to sound levels in the cab. I added the muffler to avoid severely irritating my neighbors since the turbo whine out of the stack is quite intense. Like in other thread the D turbo would prob solve that but I'm keeping the C for sure. I almost wonder if a header wrap application would also contain the noise at least from the turbo/downpipe/diverter area to about a foot back on the rear section? I used that on a set of headers in my truck and it really dropped underhood temps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks