• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A quiet deuce?

plym49

LOL I know when I used it on my street/drag car it caused my headers to rust from the inside out because it held moisture inside the tubes. Jim
How could wrap make steel pipes rust from the inside out?

The steel is not porous.

Inside-out exhaust pipe corrosion is caused by frequent start-stop cycles where the pipes do not get hot enough to dissipate the corrosive acids that are present at a cold start. The pipes just get warm, then you shut it down, then the insides of the pipes build condensation, and that is when the corrosion begins. Running the motor long enough to get the pipes hot - and the motor up to operating temperature - is the'hot' trick. That's why an auto museum curator never lets the engines be started up unless they are going to run long enough to completely warm up.

Header wrap can, if installed improperly, accelerate rust-through from the OUTSIDE. Even though header wrap does not really absorb water like cloth does, it can pick up some.

Proper installation is to soak the wrap in hot water for as long as you can. Then you pull and stretch it while wrapping it on. Sometimes, it is easier with two people. You start from the top and wrap towards the ends so that the open edge always faces to the rear. You secure the last wrap with stainless safety wire - two or three wraps, and twist - the wire kind of disappears into the wrap and it looks better than a crude hose clamp.

Then you run the engine and let all that moisture in the wrap boil off. The wrap will shrink slightly during this process. When you are sure all the moisture is gone (no more steam), let it cool and spray it with a few coats of header paint. It soaks in, seals all the fuzz, and acts as a moisture barrier. Run the motor again to cure the header paint. Over time, you can renew the header paint as needed.

This is the way we do it on custom bikes. It will work on an MV, too. :)

ICAT

I have the dual chamber master cylinder so I have 2 air packs. I want to run my exhaust out the back but it really looks like room is limited. Has any seen this done with type of brake system? I seen many picks but none with the two air packs.

plym49

I guess the extreme temp changes held moisture within the pipes and caused them to rust out. I've heard of it happening many times to people. My car never saw rain so it wasn't that and the wrap was sealed after it was applied. I now have it on my V Rod which has a stainless pipe so I'm not concerned about the rusting. Jim
I agree that it is possible for wrap to contribute to rusting from the outside in, just that it can not promote rust from the inside out. If it is kept tight, no tears and covered with the sealer (high temp paint) it should not ever rust. I guess anything is possible, though. Maybe it helps if the pipes get a chance to run hot for a while to dry. I can see on a race car with some race fuel concoction plus a lot of start/stop cycles where the motor does not get completely warm that inside-out corrosion could occur, wrap or not. You are 100% correct that your stainless V Rod pipes will never give you a speck of trouble in this regard (they are nice bikes, too).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks