• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(Back to!) converting to a tractor!

66bug

Banned
Well now i know what i am going to build out of my M756. Always liked that tractor from Miltrucks but he wants kind of big bucks for it. So time to build my own.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now i know what i am going to build out of my M756. Always liked that tractor from Miltrucks but he wants kind of big bucks for it. So time to build my own.
Let me get this straight, you are going to hack up a M756 to make a tractor?? Are you really thinking of that?

66bug

Banned
It will look just like the truck from Miltrucks. The truck is still intact at this point just getting all the fifth wheel parts cleaned blasted and painted. Snow will be flying soon so spring time i will have all the parts ready and a few days worth of work to pull the bed,clean and paint the frame and install the parts.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene, What's under the blue tarp? I thought you just had steel decking there?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tractor project was hired out to complete. I don't have the facillities, time or tools to do the job properly, myself.

When you're not, "hands on," you're at the mercy. This is where my project and I became disconnected.

A few individuals have expressed an interest in purchasing it and taking over. My only snag is, how bad of a loss is acceptable.

The questions I ponder are, "what do I want," and, "when do I make the call?"

I could probably recover more if I were to sell it after completion.

Or, I might like it so much, I'll keep it.

The shocker in all of this is that my wife is the one that wants to get the truck back finished.

Amazing.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Get it completed. You should not walk away from this. I am so glad that I built what I wanted. Every time I get in it, it is just AWESOME! You will never know what a great feeling it is to have and drive the truck you wanted if you give this up.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE ALERT!!

I think today is the three-year anniversery of the last time I drove my truck, (which was when I drove it up to have the resto done)!

It's still there.

I'm still here.

Kids have all gone off to college.

Dog is gray in the snout.

I'll post back when I know more.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Call him daily! Stop in and visit. Better yet stop down here and visit. A drive in a truck will renew your enthusiasm!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gimp!

In the mean time, I'm always on the scout for an M117, M118, or M119 trailer. (I think those are the designators for a single-axle, 6-ton, flatbed trailer). I'll even consicer a 20' single-axle container chassis, if I can find one of those. Green paint is all I need at that point.

I thought about stripping down an old expansible van trailer, but I'm going to stay on track with the flatbed for now.

The snow will be flying soon enough. I might as well leave the truck where it is through all of that. I'm estimating mid-2011. I hope sooner, but that's my prediction right now.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's two of us out here considering doing the same, although after hearing of your experiences, god knows why we bother.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/57252-dump-truck-fifth-wheel.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/57680-5-ton-cargo-tractor.html

I was starting to figure together drawings and pictures of the details of the fifht wheel assembly, do you have any drawings - pictures ready you are willing to share or PM? Would save me my all to limited time, and seems you have considered this for much longer and know the pitfalls.

Good luck, I'm glad you managed to keep the truck. I know the feeling. In my past I had a few oldtimer projects I had to abandone because of lack of money :sad::sad: (no crying smily?). A BMW R67/3 1955 motorcycle with side car is a great thing to have, but it has zilch floating capacity when you are drowning.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo McDuff,

My situation is unique. Well, sort of. My project is "outsourced." I'm providing the $$ and parts, someone else is doing the work. It's been slow for reasons unknown.

I do not have any drawings or measurements. I have a few pictures, but not much to help.

If you PM me, I can give you information on where it is located and the "builder" so you can get some info from him.

It was a sweet (cargo) deuce. The headache rack, air-assist steering kit, fifth-wheel and all were all good parts. I have a lot of money sitting there. I hope it gets done. I've really lost the interest in the whole thing.

Actually, would you be interested in buying one already completed? I get the feeling there is going to be a big orange and black "FOR SALE" sign on this truck in a short time. It'll be 1970 era green w/ white star and proper markings, only a tractor with headache rack (basically identical to the old MILTRUCKS tractor, which is what I was copying, (with permission)).

To put it simply, I'm done with it. I have several new commitments, and it's time to part. I'll pay the man what I owe still, and take delivery, but it's going up for sale. Unless someone wants it "as-is" to finish it either themselves or with the builder.

Just putting the idea out there. Thanks, and good luck with your project as well!

(Ooops! Just spotted your location! Maybe not, huh? A little pricey to haul!)

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo McDuff,

(Ooops! Just spotted your location! Maybe not, huh? A little pricey to haul!)
I am occasionally in the USA as well, we have some joint projects. So if I had the funds, I might bite for "as is" and join the Alaska run next year (although I prefer northern British Columbia, worked there during the winter). Unfortunately, trying to keep a non-profit running in a post-communist country were support for non-profits is still minimal is already eating virtually all our money.

The feeling of having enough of it is understandable. At the end, there's no joy enymore, not even when its out, just empty feeling. Too bad it had to end that way. Hope you can recoupe at least most or some of the money invested, best to leave it all quickly behind.

Try keep your dreams though, good luck.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks