• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing my Deuce

davidkroberts

the trucks looking great, glad you didnt sqash your leg/foot too bad. You know a project isnt complete until you have bled on it somewhere ( nature of the beast i guess).

Since your almost done and can see the light at the end of the tunnel can you write a short list of any specialty tools and/ or parts you used for us weekend warriors who are thinking about it. Parts especially because you know how irriating it is to stare at the place to put the part you dont have thats holding up the entire project.......lol

I remember reading about you wanting to single it out in the future... your thoughts on tires/rims?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Parts list is pretty short. Front duece springs, hangers and the u bolts. I had to replace the steel brake line because it was so rusty and the rubber line going to the axle since it was cracked up pretty good. You'll need tall jack stands. No specialty tools needed but they will make it easier, a plasma cutter would be great but my 4" grinder with a cutting disc worked fine, I went through about 15 discs. I managed to do without an air hammer because it was just too loud in my tract house. A cutting torch will drastically cut down the time with the rivets, I took the hard way and cut the heads off, drilled them out then hammered them out, it gets old real fast, I recommend using a torch which I finally did on the last few rivets. Its mostly labor. Nothing too hard but when you have little children to take care of and a wife that needs attention plus a regular job, then it makes it a long process. I havent decided on rims yet, I will have to sell my M1009 or work some overtime if I want to get some of OD Irons rims. Havent decided on tires yet either, I will have to see where the good deals are and factor in shipping costs. I wont have it on the road until at least next week due to my work schedule and still having to bleed the brakes and weld the bed up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there was a plasma cutter available, it work very well on the rivits too. Hope your knee gets better..it could have been worse, glad it wasn't. The wheelbase looks perfect and, IMHO, it looks mucho better than using the 105 bed...not picking on anyone who has one, just an opinion. Hey...if you think of selling the 1009, keep me in mind, Jake wants one. He's gonna be driving soon...Lord, help us all!

ford381stroker

after reading this entire thread about bobbing the bed I have decided to Bob my new deuce. I have a plasma cutter so cutting the bed/frame and rivets should go quickly. I think I will drill out the holes and bolt the spring brackets. The local junk yard has a parts duece just sitting so I will be able to get the front springs and mounting brackets. I work for O'Reilly Auto Parts and should be able to get the ubolts and brake lines. Hopefully I can make a quick project out of it.

Great looking truck!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Finally got to really drive it today, brakes are all dialed in and working perfect. Loaded up all the scrap steel left over from the bob job and drove down to "the valley". I only had 1600lbs but got $200 for it :shock: I kept the axle shafts, differential and hubs/bearings from the old axle so that probably would have made it an even 2000lbs. I had no idea scrap metal was going for $285/ton. Makes me want to go grab all those rusted out cars abandoned and shot up in the desert. My truck now weighs 10,620 lbs, a little heavier than I expected but it still makes a difference in performance. No more shakes and shimmys when driving, it drives like a totally different truck, much better. I took the money from the scrap and gave it right to the dmv. Only spent a total of 40 minutes at the dmv getting it registered. I still have some more welding and grinding to do on the bed and I have to put the mud flaps back on. I already planted the seed in my wifes head for the OD Iron wheels and tires, she didnt say no!

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow Devin, looks good! Can't wait to see it in person. You still need to make a run to Fontana? You gonna muffle it?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes a Fontana trip is in order!I need lots of stuff. Muffler is in the plans, I dont think the neighbors were happy at 0645 this morning when I decided to drive the duece to work. On a side note I just won an M101A1 from Sierra Herlong today for a mere $125. Too bad its 400 miles away, gonna be a tow job for my TDI golf, I will have to get some pics of that.

Attachments

Rebelpride

RE: bobbed deuce=FWD HAR-1

Does anybody have detailed pictures of how to mount an M105A2 body on a bobbed deuce. Does it fit right up or is there some bracket making, drilling, and welding?

Sumoman

Is there anywhere I can go to get all the information I need to BOB my deuce? I already have the m105 trailer for the bed and springs, duece is coming here shortly. I like the BOBBED duece mostly because i can fit it at the house without the wife complaining:roll:

pigpenkiwi

is your bobed duce axle in sam place as it was when it was 2 rear axles i have a rolled duece and im putting a 01 suburban on the frame need wheel base to be sam as it is minus rear axle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks