• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing my Deuce

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Spent the weekend at Disneyland so the duece was on hold until last night. Finally got that darn bogie assembly out, had to fire up the torch which I should have done a long time ago. Tomorrow I hope to have the axle mocked up with the springs and sitting back under the truck, I dont like having the jackstands holding the rear of the truck up.

Attachments

Excellent Devin!

Looks like the left rear axle seal may be moot. If you need the tooling to reinstall the axle seal let me know. I also have the 1" impact if you haven't picked up one yet to bust them lug nuts loose - it sure beats having your veins poppin' outa' your forehead trying to use a hand wrench!

Were here to do more than just sit back and :popcorn:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I used a 4 " grinder with a 4 1/2" cutting disk, it works great, a plasma cutter would be ideal. To get a straight line I used a magnetic laser thing I have and traced the line with chalk in the dark. I'm still 2 U bolts short so I could only get one side of the springs mocked up tonight, hopefully the other 2 will show up tomorrow. Gary, as you can see, I gave up trying to take the wheels off after spending 30 minutes on one wheel. I might have to borrow that impact!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devin, you gonna single the rears or leave them dualed? Looks good!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I plan on running singles as soon as money permits, I saw a nice set of 5 at the brothers yard a while back. Gonna head to San Diego this weekend so more delays. Anybody have thoughts or comments about welding the spring perches to the frame versus bolting them on? I am really tired of drilling and would rather not drill another 20 something holes. Also when re mounting the rear axle, the alignment pins for the spring pad are too wide, how did you guys that have done this deal with it? Did you cut them off and re weld them on or just bolt the axle back in without relocating the pins?

Attachments

m376x6

Blythewoodjoe said:
Capt.Marion said:
Now we need a dumper bobbed deuce!
I had one until Saturday. Now it's in Texas :cry:
What size tires are on it here in this pic? Would you mind telling me about the wheels. It's regretful to hear you had to sell it. What a great truck.

Regards,
Bryan

Blythewoodjoe

m376x6 said:
What size tires are on it here in this pic? Would you mind telling me about the wheels. It's regretful to hear you had to sell it. What a great truck.

Regards,
Bryan
14.5 by 20" XL radials. I made the rims from two rims welded together. I posted lots of pictures of the process here somewhere, I will try to find the link.

m376x6

Blythewoodjoe said:
m376x6 said:

Regards,
Bryan
14.5 by 20" XL radials. I made the rims from two rims welded together. I posted lots of pictures of the process here somewhere, I will try to find the link.
I remember you listing the link earlier in this thread. I reopened the link and saw where you cut the center out of one rim and then cut the depth you needed and then welded the two pieces together. This gave you the width and also the offset for the wider tire. Simply ingenious. I've been doing tire researching and watching various sites for tire sizes and going prices. early though, as the Bob is still a year out for me. I have the drawings and tech stuff finished on the selectable rear steering gear box and have it saved. I may have my 64 Dodge Crew sold, I'm working on the 85 Dodge crew right now and have a M101 up for sale as well as a Jeep Commanche pickup. I've sold some of my 9.00-20's and need to sell everything including a complete valve and seat grind equipment I have in the shop. I'm just about finished with a set of LAV wheel adapters for my self and a set for a future customer for the Power Wagon bolt pattern. I'll be selling a set of five 20 inch rims with 9.00-20 tires for the Power Wagon series here within a week or so. I have a set of 4 Firestone Super Traction 9.00-20 bias tires that are 2 years old with about 500 miles on them. I will have my Bob as soon as I can get things straight here. Thanks Joe, you're a super fellow and you do good work and help make the military vehicle hobby a pleasure.

Regards,
M376X6/M354X4

55Cameo

I think that I would at least drill and bolt 50% or more of the holes, weld the rest. I think that the casting of the brackets would not be as strong with just welding.

Rebelpride

Wheels

I've looked at Stazworks and I thought that they were a bit much for a "toy" and I
know that USA6X6 is a no go.(They are running a special in May & June 20% off, would that make it worth the trouble or are their wheels still crap.). I've read where OD Iron sells wheels now, how much are they, and what about ORFW do they sell wheels. And which would be better 20x10 or 20x12 wheels. And how does a two piece wheel work, are they strong?

55Cameo

80% off would not be enough to deal with USA 6x6. The wheels are crap and they promise the world and deliver S**t!! And then they deliver it 6 months after promised, after repeted calls and false promises along the way.(this is my experience along with many many others) As far as width, it depends on the tire size that you are running. ODIron's wheels look nice along with stazworks and many others. 2 piece wheels make it nice that you can mount them yourself, but they are hard to deal with putting them together and having leaks.

russ81

I should receive my wheels next week from Boyce Equipment. $290 each for 12 x 20's. I ordered them less then a month ago.

I've spent quite a bit of money with Boyce setting up my bobed duce, and I can't say enough good about them. I ordered everything to rebuild the wheel hubs and brakes for all four corners on Friday last week, and received the shipment on Wednesday of this week.........How cool is that?

When it comes down to it, price isn't everything........customer service is # 1 in my book.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
russ81 said:
When it comes down to it, price isn't everything........customer service is # 1 in my book.

So many businesses seem to forget that one little detail.

russ81

Yea, but the one thing that these businesses need to realize is that people like me don't need their product. I'll do with out befor dealing with a jerk. Plus with the internet, I can make a quick google search, and find the same product from some one that would love to take my money from me.

Djfreema said:
Anybody have thoughts or comments about welding the spring perches to the frame versus bolting them on?
Devin,

I know on Peterbuilt, Freightliner, etc. it says right on the frame not to weld. I am no metallurgist but welding may take the temper out of the steel leading to stress cracking.
I may have an idea for your drilling woes:
If you don't have one, rent a BMF drill motor and suspend it by a strap from your engine hoist. That will take the brunt out of lifting it and all you'll have to do is hold it while feeding the bit into the frame.

Just a thought.

beaubeau

DJfreema, I would not hesitate to weld on UR frame. If usind a Mig, even better, less heat. I have Cut and welded frames for over 35 years and nothing broke yet! I have several l vehicles I have lengthened the frames on and tested several times with Heavy Loads. I have even welded leaf springs and they have held together well. There are special welding rods for welding tempered steel. Good luck with Ur project. I may be Bobbing a Deuce for someone this month, when he gives me the OK!!. Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks