• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing my Deuce

m376x6

IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Why does the beautiful deuce look even better when bobbed. I love these pics of everybodies Bob. I'm sitting here thinking thoughts I promised myself I wouldn't have anymore. AGH! Wouldn't a Bob with a dump bed and 16.00-20's look great and be really useful? I think so. Time to get rid of a few projects and look toward my Bob. Kind of wierd, a 6X6 M37 and 4X4 Deuce. Strangely it fits me, always going in a different direction. I have a friend with a few VTA904's, would 900 horses make it move? Naw, I like the old multifuel. There used to be a fellow in Denver that had a shop called Hilton Automotive that specialized in diesels. He apparently used to be in the military and worked on multifuels as well as regular diesels. I don't think he is there anymore, but he used to kick the multi's up to 200 horses or more depending on where you wanted to go with the mods.

As far as getting the wider tires, do you have to get special wheels? Are there off the shelf surplus wheels that will work to mount the big tires? I was looking at a picture of a young fellows efforts here, he had disc brakes and was doing some really neat things. The multi uses an SAE belhousing setup, are there any automatics that would be a bolt up. I remeber my M656's had Allison A200's in them.
Regards,
Bryan

55Cameo

The 16.00 R20's recommend a 10" wide wheel. I have mine on 12" wide wheels. I like it better to have them blown out a little more. I don't know of any 'stock' 10 or 12" wheels, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
As far as the auto trans question, I have no idea but would love to find one.

Blythewoodjoe

I will try to post a few threads here that deal with some of the stuff that is being talked about here. We realy need a section for "Bobbed" trucks. They are hard to find with the search feature, at least for me. I love my truck. It's much easier to steer with out those rear axle pushing strait forward. Of course a real M35 is great on the open road, but my little bob dumper is great for tight spots.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=131102&highlight=#131102
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=107592&highlight=#107592
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=135871&highlight=#135871
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=107708&highlight=#107708

m376x6

55Cameo said:
The 16.00 R20's recommend a 10" wide wheel. I have mine on 12" wide wheels. I like it better to have them blown out a little more. I don't know of any 'stock' 10 or 12" wheels, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
As far as the auto trans question, I have no idea but would love to find one.
I saw that earlier (your truck) on this post, this is making my blood boil with lust. What was the source for your wheels? How wide is the outside to outside on the tires? Maybe 16.00's are too wide? Are you running stock axles or are they modified in some way. I had looked at how some folks were modifying the rears. I've worked on many Deuces so I know about the hubs and so forth. Thanks.

Regards,
Bryan

55Cameo

There are many people that make wheels to fit these trucks. Devilman deals in them, Stazworks.com, Long wheel in Jax. plus many more. Do not buy from USA 6x6!!! That is where I purchased mine, bad time had by all to put it mildly.
Outside to outside of tires is about 21" or so. Out side of tread is 18"
Diffs are stock except for a Overson chromemoly locker in the rear.
Hubs are out on front and rear.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the offer Gary. I was doing some measuring today and plan on cutting 36" off the bed and moving the rear axle back about 20" so its centered with the hook looking thing on the side of the bed. Gotta get some of those big jack stands for doing the job. Have you guys been torching the rivets off or using a cutting disc?

Jakob

Is it just the picture or does that thing have a hell of a rake to it? Does the rear lift up that much with that weight removed? Do yo u have front or rear springs back there?

appnut1

Used the whole front end set up from another "donor duece" and yes it did end up like that afer it was set back down on the ground. Not sure why but that's the way it turned out

Michael

All of this is making me wonder what a 5 ton tractor would look like bobbed. I wonder what Farm Bureau would think about it. For those who missed it, Farm Bureau refuses to insure my new M818. They said it was on the "banned list".

russ81

Read the thread.............M54 Bobed ready to roll

Really cool job on bobing a 5 ton. That will be my next project after finishing up my duce.

Speedy

is bobbing a 5ton much different?
that is something I was thinking of doing. maybe you can make a sort of step by step with pics thread?

russ81

My reason for wanting to do a 5 toner is because of the longer engine compartment. I'm a horse power junky, and bigger motors mean more ponies. I would love to do one with either a v10 or v12. Just looking to build the biggest, baddest machine on the street.
The problem I was having with my duce is finding an engine small enough for the compartment, but producing enough power. I've settled on an 8.3 Cummins. It will do for now.