• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BODY-CARGO PIPELINE CONSTRUCTION

M36A2

This bed you're talking about, is that for a truck or for a trailer? I can't find a M756 anywhere..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bed is for the M756A2 "pipeline" variant of the 2-1/2 ton 6x6's.

It was originally built as an assembly to be swapped with the standard cargo bed when needed. Mine is dated 1960 and has its own set of data tags. Later models may have been built as pipeline trucks from factory, don't know for sure.

The reason for this post is to show the problem areas when swapping with a cargo bed.
1) Forward mounting "ears" are not in correct location. The one on the driver's side shown in image #1 would protrude into the tool box if not removed.
2) The M756 forward mounts are about 18 inches further back to make space for the tool box. Image #2. No matching mount on the M35.
3) The rear mounting ears on the M756 are replaced by plates that snug up along the frame of the M35 (probably to help stabilize the A-frame). The fit is tight and any rivet or screw must be taken out. Holes in the plates don't match any holes on the M35 frame. Images #3 and #4.
4) The composite light assemblies on the M35 are too high and must be lowered 3 inches. Image #4.

In my case, the hydraulic tank must be moved forward about 6 inches and the crane moved forward 1 inch. Image #1.

Kenny, I would be interested in seeing the mounting features on your M756 truck bed. Pictures would be nice if you get a chance. TIA.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
It's a real treat seeing how you enjoy something I've seen in scrub brush being turned into high quality work. I've been following this project with keen interest. I'd love to see the finished truck someday.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
cranetruck said:
Steelsoldiers! If you don't mind, ask your dad about his pipeline truck bed. How many boards are there on his and what about the "block anchors"?
I'll ask him to check the next time he is up that way. Were there any other pieces of the stiff legs stuck in the brackets under your bed Bjorn? We were looking at Dad's manual and it looks like there should be one other piece on each side that slips into the mount and holds the legs vertically.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, the part with the joint is still in the "storage tube". I got it loose, but it doesn't come out. There seems to be a built-in stop. Kenny can't get his out either. They may be inside the tube on your dad's truck also for that matter, have him check again.
I'm planning to make new stiff legs to replace the ones you got to complete as much on the bed as is practical for my application. The gin poles will be shorter to support the crane boom when extended over the rear of the bed.

Regards,

Desert Rat

Kenny,
I got the plates today for both the M720 and the M197A1. Both have #12,000 tags in sequentail order (I'm trying to make the police a bit suspicious). I'll post pics after the rain lets up on Monday. We're gonna get soaked over the next few days.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I hear ya DR. We got swamped with rain today too. All darned day. Bjorn, as long as it's not pouring in the AM, i'll have your pics. Look for an email ref tires too.
Kenny

Desert Rat

Kenny,
I thought Florida was a swamp... only a drained one... with Disney as the main attraction..... y'know..... a tourist swamp...... just kidding. My uncle has a nice winter house in Chuliotta next door to Disney. Granpa got it during the Depression as payment for some repair work he did for a paper company in Maine. At the time he was the only mechanic in northern Maine and did he ever clean up big-time during the Depression. Not bad for someone with a third grade education!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's either s swamp or a dust bowl, no in between. It's either hot or hotter too. Unlike the triple digit heat the deuce bigalo has to endure, ours usually tops out just shy of the 3 digits. Our humidity often exceeds the 3 digits (or so its feels).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, pics as promised. Unlike a regular deuce, the front mounts don't have springs and are quite robust in comparison. . The 2 center mounts are typical and the back is the plate configuration.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the images!
Looks like a spacer between the bed rail and the frame. Guess it has holes in it for all the rivet heads... One more thing to do.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is Bjorn. A strip of wood similar to the M35 bed. Do you need a thickness measurement?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Kenny or Bjorn, can you make some detailed measurements of the socket adapter that holds the gin poles with the two pins? I need to fab a couple or have them made. I guess I would need length, width, diameter of the holes, distance between the holes, and anything else you can think of. Thanks. I want to help Dad get his poles mounted soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steelsoldiers, you know, if your Dad wants a nice dropside bed for his truck, I know a guy that would take that short little bed off his hands LOL. I'll try to get out there and take some pics and measurements today or tomorrow for you guys. Did Dad ever reach in that tube in the back and see if the knuckle was there for the stiff legs? I tried everything short of a cutting torch to get mine out with negative results. There's a stop on them somewhere and I cant find it. They are most definitley strong enough to drag the truck sideways ( I know). Another note, did the dude in WI ever return your email? maybe he was just a farce?
Kenny

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Kenny! We haven't had a chance to mess with the stiff legs yet. The truck sits at Dad's work about 45 min. from both of us. We are going to get it up to his place sometime next month so we can work on it more often. I hope the parts are still in there like you guys suggest. That would make Dad's day. I never heard anything back from that dude in WI. That sucks. I may try to email him again. Weird man...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, the image below is out of the Oct 1976 -20P manual.
The hole spacing on the "link" (item#4) is 8.0 inches.
You have the pin (item #3) and match the hole size accordingly.
Pin #5 should be on your dad's truck, unless they really stripped it down before he got it. The hole in the link on this end should match the hole/pin on the roller end piece.
Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks