• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BODY-CARGO PIPELINE CONSTRUCTION

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice, thanks! Dad has one of the #5 retainer pins left, the other is AWOL. How thick are the flanges on the gin pole end?

I talked to my Dad about the wood planks and he said he has 13 boards of different sizes on his 756 bed. We are going to take it for a run this weekend and we'll take lots more photos and post them here. Anybody need anything specific photographed?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah! I would sure like to see a detailed pic of the USN data plate. My ride doesn't have one. Also, I don't know when I'll get around to it but I'm OK with sending you that knuckle piece for the gin poles. You guys can copy it and send mine back. As a matter of fact you might check with Robert Miller. He might could whip one up too. If he does it for you I should be able to deliver it, I'm almost certain that I'll be swinging by his spread on my way back from MD.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was able to work on the deuce again between the rain showers.
The M35 bed mounts that were in the way has been removed in preparation for fitting the M756 bed. I used the grinder to flatten the rivets in order to drill them out. The rivets turned out to be rather soft. In a couple of places they will be replaced with cap screws.

The images tell the story. Also, the composite lights had to be lowered 2 inches as shown and the hydraulic tank moved forward about 5 inches. The hydraulic tank is here on the ground in one of the pictures.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
WOW! That looks real nice! I can't wait to see it all done, up close in person too. Take a road trip to TX pleeeeeezzzze!!!!!!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Recovry4x4 said:
Yeah! I would sure like to see a detailed pic of the USN data plate. My ride doesn't have one. Also, I don't know when I'll get around to it but I'm OK with sending you that knuckle piece for the gin poles. You guys can copy it and send mine back. As a matter of fact you might check with Robert Miller. He might could whip one up too. If he does it for you I should be able to deliver it, I'm almost certain that I'll be swinging by his spread on my way back from MD.
Well, no pics this trip b/c I am an idiot :banghead: and left my camera at home. I'll get one for you this weekend probably. I'll PM Robert and see if he thinks he could fab a couple of those couplers up for my Dad. That would kick some serious butt if he could do that. I know I could probably weld up a couple, but having them machined out of solid would be much better. I'll let you know Kenny. Thanks!

Bjorn, looking good buddy! We looked at Dad's stiff-leg brackets yesterday and found the inner piece on both sides. They are seriously rusty and require some major persuasion to come free. I'm going to soak them with some ATF of something and let them sit for a while. It may require the rosebud tip on the torch or an air-hammer, who knows. We'll keep you posted.

Chris

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, I just went throught that same process. I even hooked the tractor to it and tried heating it and pulling it out with negative results. I finally beat the sucker though. Towards the back of the truck where the pin goes through, the tube on the bed is cut out so you can hook right onto the inner leg. I used a mini J hook used in the towing industry to hook up. I attached this to about a 10' chain and secured it to the back of my tractor then pulled it to the point that the pipeline truck started to slide, locked up the brakes and shut off the tractor in gear to keep tension on it. Heated it up nice and red then took my big steel spud bar (5' long and heavy) and beat on the chain. The heat and the shock of the big hit on the chain finally broke them loose. I claimed victory that day!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Recovry4x4 said:
Chris, I just went throught that same process. I even hooked the tractor to it and tried heating it and pulling it out with negative results. I finally beat the sucker though. Towards the back of the truck where the pin goes through, the tube on the bed is cut out so you can hook right onto the inner leg. I used a mini J hook used in the towing industry to hook up. I attached this to about a 10' chain and secured it to the back of my tractor then pulled it to the point that the pipeline truck started to slide, locked up the brakes and shut off the tractor in gear to keep tension on it. Heated it up nice and red then took my big steel spud bar (5' long and heavy) and beat on the chain. The heat and the shock of the big hit on the chain finally broke them loose. I claimed victory that day!
Thanks for the encouragement [^] Sounds like it will be fun. They look like they have been soaked in the ocean as rusty ans crusty as they are :mad: Stupid northeast and their salty roads. Hopefully they'll stand up to the beating it will take to get them apart.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, you think Dad's are rusty? My truck came from Puerto Rico. may as well sat on the deck of ship all its life.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress report.
Images show the installation of the wooden spacer and the beginning of the decking.
The bare locust wood is very beautiful, but I'm afraid it has to be painted for its own good. The rough sawn surface offers good slip resistant walking.
The reddish brown color is Rustoleum "rusty metal" primer applied with brush. The bottom of the wood is painted before installation.
A 4-1/8 inch hole saw is used for the block anchors. No other drilling is needed in the wood, the screws are installed between the planks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looked at Kenny's pipeline truck images and noticed that the pioneer rack is mounted on the side of the cab protector...kinda cool. [thumbzup]
The picture is from an angle not shown in any of the manuals I have looked at, it's a bit of a mystery MV no matter how you look at it. :idea:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's another pic of the truck with the pioneer tool rack. Oddly enough the center web that holds the pick/mattock and handle is not there and doesn't appear to have ever been there even though the pick/mattock is BII. Other pipelines have the center web so mine is just odd. It's the standard M series pioneer tool rack.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an image of the completed wooden deck. The original was made with red oak boards, this is locust. The metal strips hold the boards in place. There is no drilling through the wood, which allows for movements due to expansion/contraction. The rough sawed surface makes a good non-slip walking surface.
Curiously, there are 13 boards on all decks that we have checked and all different widths. The M756 was a custom variant , for sure.

Desert Rat

I can't wait to see it after the condition I found it in! All the weeds and overgrowth made interpretation difficult.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks