• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A Tank

rlwm211

I can see it now, CARNAC taking the CHoW and kids out for dinner in the Abrahms to some classy restaurant....I wonder if Valet parking is safe, or if the indoctrination for the operations of an M1A1 will take longer than dinner??????

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see it now, CARNAC taking the CHoW and kids out for dinner in the Abrahms to some classy restaurant....I wonder if Valet parking is safe, or if the indoctrination for the operations of an M1A1 will take longer than dinner??????
And when the Valet says: "I'm sorry, Sir, but your TANK won't fit into our underground Parking Garage," all you need to do is swing the turret around and a couple of rounds later..... SHAZAM ! ! ! SHE'LL FIT !!!

Needle

As a relative newbie, and someone who can relate very closely to the questions that CARNAC is asking, I feel that this forum as a whole has let him down, especially with some of the frivolous answers to his questions from people who obviously have no past "tank owning" experience.

You go for it CARNAC. Owning a tank is a life changing experience. You will never own another MV after you have bought a tank.

(Mainly because they are the biggest money pit you have ever come across and you will never be able to afford anything else, and after working on one for a while you will have "herniated" every possible organ in your body to the point that just typing messages on an SS forum becomes a workout!)

:p

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I know what you mean my friend, I herniated everything on them back in the 80s and 90s--oh my aching knees.

Now back to unreality. And now I'm really herniating them on this new M1 I got. :smile:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So CARNAC, are you saying you were on your knees during the 80-90's? I don't think I want to know the answer.......just saying..........

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm sure glad everyone is giving me help on this thread. I still am trying to get advice on my other thread about what is the best lift kit to install on my skid mounted 3kw generator, but that's a different thread.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Carnac, it was a pleasure picking up those parts from you last Sunday. Thanks for the ride as well, when do you think you'll get more rounds for the cannon? That was awesome watching that honda civic blow up like that.

emr

"96" is what happens when I bring home my latest "OD Fix"
NOW Thats FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lived that with my ex for 15 years, I will say in that time every-time we separated I bought an MV I ended up with 9 !!!!!!!! 96 thats just funny..... oh the memories....

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
When my uncle Mack retired from the Airforce after serving for 60 years as a C5A pilot, they were out of pocket watches so they just let him keep his C5A....Here's the problem though.

Uncle Mack passed last year and left me the C5A in his will. The plane is located in the Dominican Republic.
I have contracted with a feller from Hati to haul it to Georgia and it should arrive next week. This leads to the usual questions...and yes..I did a search...but didn't find the answers I needed.

So...I need you guys/gals to help me out here:

Do I need a CDL to fly it?
Has anyone ever bobbed a C5? Pics??
How do the air brakes work? What kind of brake fluid?
Do you think Progressive will insure it? State Farm?
What color was the C5A in WWII?? Got the paint code #??
What ratio of WMO can I run without fouling the spark plugs?
Anyone have the measurements? Fit in my garage ya think?
Do you think i would mess up if I "singled it out"??

Oh...and what should I do with the GOER that's inside it?

Before you start blasting me...I tried to search on this site but didn't find anything relevant.
If you can help please do...if not move on to the next thread:driver:

AND!!!
nopics

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bobbed C-5 is designated the C-17 everyone knows that. As for air brakes just hold your hand outside the window in a vertical position. You have to make sure both the pilot and copilot do it at the same time or you will slowly turn.aua

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Finally!!!

The bobbed C-5 is designated the C-17 everyone knows that. As for air brakes just hold your hand outside the window in a vertical position. You have to make sure both the pilot and copilot do it at the same time or you will slowly turn.aua
Thank you for your answers on the brakes Sir!!
Obviously you knew my uncle Mack!

Do you think bigger tires will help increase the speed? I hear they are dogs when taking off??

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think bigger tires will help increase the speed? I hear they are dogs when taking off??
Actually it's just the opposite. If you look at the fighters that can fly past the speed of sound, they use small tires. If remove the cargo planes big tires and install smaller lighter ones, say off an A-4, you should also be able to pick up that speed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Actually it's just the opposite. If you look at the fighters that can fly past the speed of sound, they use small tires. If remove the cargo planes big tires and install smaller lighter ones, say off an A-4, you should also be able to pick up that speed.

So...what I hear you saying is that..a bobbed C5A..or a C17 with smaller tires is sorta like a low rider? Wonder what it would look like with spinners?

I hope the purist don't hate me, I'm just trying to expand the hobby.

kastein

Would those be off an Audi A4, or a Douglas A4?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone knows that the performance was improved and the vibration drastically altered on the C5A, C17 AND the Mitsubishi MU-2 when they switched from three-bladed Propellers to the four-bladed Props.

The landing roll-out distance of the C-130 is MUCH SHORTER if you just don't release the tether when air-dropping a Palletized HEMTT.

Just thought these factoids could help this thread's hemroids.

aua