• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boyce Remanufactured 2 1/2 ton 6 x 6

targhee trucks

In my "Trying to get two M220's started . . ." thread, I mentioned that there were also two Boyce trucks on the place. Here are some pics and info on them.

Boyce 1 right front.jpg

Boyce 1 gas engine.jpg

Boyce 1 pedals.jpg

Boyce 1 hood open.jpg

Boyce 2 right front.jpg

Boyce 2 dash.jpg

I'm calling the complete truck Boyce 1, the partial truck is Boyce 2.

Both these trucks have V-8 gas engines. They have small silver plates riveted to the firewall that says "Boyce Remanufactured 2 1/2 Ton 6 x 6" along w/ a long VIN that must have been issued by the state when they were rebuilt.

The tip up hoods are fiberglass.

Boyce 1 is the truck that my son-in-law remembers backing into the spot where it currently sits maybe 10 or so years ago. There is no serial number on the right front frame rail so I'm not sure what the chassis is from.

Boyce 2 has serial number "M211 30xxx" on the right front frame rail.

Last edited:

targhee trucks

One of those would be cool to have restored.:doghead:
I'm thinking that because we know that it was driven to it's current location and has been stored inside the potato cellar, it should be fairly easy to get running.

Shall we drive it to your place or would you like to come pick it up yourself? :wink:

We'll even clean off all the pigeon poop! :-D

APM215

I'm thinking that because we know that it was driven to it's current location and has been stored inside the potato cellar, it should be fairly easy to get running.

Shall we drive it to your place or would you like to come pick it up yourself? :wink:

We'll even clean off all the pigeon poop! :-D
If I was closer I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie! aua

Section8

Where about (not a boot) are you in Idaho??
I am right above you in British Columbia, Canada.
I might be interested in one of those as well.
Either the complete one or the parts one for the hood and other reman parts.

hippiedude

Those are cool .......... almost look like a 70`s mack .....With the 4 of those trucks you should be able to make a couple of good trucks with parts left over .............:smile:...........

targhee trucks

Plows

Boyce 1 v plow.jpg

Boyce 1 sweep plow.jpg

My son-in-law remembers that these two plows, one sweep, one v, were used with Boyce 1. The mount is still on the front of the truck, not sure if all the other mounting hardware is still around.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boyce 2

Great picture with Boyce 2 and the mountain scene in the back. Amazing potential projects.

Thanks for sharing. I know you'll post more about that V8, how the brake system is set up, transfer case, axles, interior and a video when she fires for the first time...........so I won't ask.:wink:

targhee trucks

Great picture with Boyce 2 and the mountain scene in the back. Amazing potential projects.

Thanks for sharing. I know you'll post more about that V8, how the brake system is set up, transfer case, axles, interior and a video when she fires for the first time...........so I won't ask.:wink:
Glad you enjoyed the mountains, those are the Tetons, been looking at them for over 35 years and still enjoy it every time I look in that direction.

I've been spending what time I have working towards getting the m220 w/ the free engine, m220 #1, running. We're almost ready to try it.

Plus, my '53 m38a1 quit the other day, (ignition) first time in 3 years, so I'm working on getting replacement parts for that.

But, I'm thinking it may be time to pull Boyce 1 out of the cellar and see if we can get it to run. Don't want to hook up any batteries or run any fuel while it's in the cellar in case any little gremlins have chewed holes in wiring or fuel lines. Son-in-law probably would not take kindly to me burning down his cellar.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the posts!

Looking at the rams horn style exhaust manifold and oil filler cap you have a early small block chevy. I'm interested as to how it performs.

I sure would like to see come close up pics of the cab roof and windshield frame on truck 1. It looks like it would be a heck of an upgrade for a truck that would be driven in cold weather. Would certainly cut down on the drafts blowing oon the steering wheel.

Does this still have an air compressor?

Thanks again. [thumbzup]

targhee trucks

Thank you for the posts!

Looking at the rams horn style exhaust manifold and oil filler cap you have a early small block chevy. I'm interested as to how it performs.

I sure would like to see come close up pics of the cab roof and windshield frame on truck 1. It looks like it would be a heck of an upgrade for a truck that would be driven in cold weather. Would certainly cut down on the drafts blowing oon the steering wheel.

Does this still have an air compressor?

Thanks again. [thumbzup]
Thanks for the info on the small block. Not going out to trucks today, I'll get you those pics tomorrow.

targhee trucks

Boyce 1 leaves cellar after 10 -15 years!

Boyce 1 leaves cellar.jpg

Boyce #1 left the cellar today after a long dark rest. Son-in-law isn't exactly sure how long it's been in there. 10 years? 15? Maybe longer.

All but one tire still had air, hydraulic clutch works, trans shifts easily. I'm thinking (hoping!) that it's not going to take much to get it started. Brakes will be the biggest challenge.

It's now parked close enough to the shop that I can get electricity and water to it. And it's parked right next to M220 #1, which we towed in, backwards, this afternoon too.

Boyce 1 after powerwash.jpg

A quick power wash to clean off the pigeon poop and other debris.

Boyce 1 engine after powerwash.jpg

Engine after a quick wash.

It was about 1/2 mile from the cellar to the shop. I grinned and made engine noises the whole way!:lol:

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quote: "It was about 1/2 mile from the cellar to the shop. I grinned and made engine noises the whole way!:lol: "

Did ya get some spit on the inside of the windshield? That is why the windshields were originally hinged. Maybe you should turn the wiper around so it wipes inside???? :cookoo:

targhee trucks

More Boyce 1 pictures

Had a great day yesterday. Went to the Rexburg Legacy Flight Museum air show in the morning. Three P-51's and the only P-63 King Cobra still flying in the country, along w/ other warbirds and great planes. Nice little airshow for a small town. Local businessman John Bagley did well, rather than move somewhere exotic, he stayed in Rexburg and bought planes.

Here's a link to the airshow flyer: Airshow Information

Then had a family and friends Father's Day cookout at our place in the afternoon.

We did manage to get out to the trucks in the evening and get a few more pictures.

Boyce 1 inst panel.jpg

Boyce 1 brakes.jpg

Boyce 1 custom defroster.jpg

Boyce 1 air.jpg

Boyce 1 heater.jpg

Boyce 1 whats this.jpg

Can somebody tell me what that last thing is? It looks like a starter motor on top, there's a threaded hole that looks like a line should be in it. Compressor?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks