• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boyce Remanufactured 2 1/2 ton 6 x 6

targhee trucks

On the left rear top of the block (kind of between the rear of the head and distributer) there's a # cast under a big "GM". On the right front of the milled head surface on the block (forward of the head) there's a stamped number. Post those two and i'll tell you the size, year and what it came out of. I can also narrow down what vehicles a particular item (head, water pump etc.) came from and what year they are if you have the numbers off the items. (yes, I am like a junior CARNAC on small block Chevy's).:mrgreen:
Okay, got one, this is the stamped number at the right front: E6094055V0614TMX. The numbers and letters are very light, but I think I guessed correctly.

Was not able to see the numbers on the left rear. The engine is quite close to the firewall and I can't get in there to clean that area or even see in there.

Does the first number tell us anything?

Thanks again,

Jack

Oldfart

SBC fun

On closer examination I see
1974 and later HEI ignition,
pre 72 but post 68 vavle covers,
late 60s to early 70s fuel pump.
Truck aircleaner,
Looks like early 70's large rams horn exhaust.
early short waterpump.

I guess I have no Idea what you have. :-D

Casting numbers....
I love Small Block Chevy fun. I have a Lund Cabin Cruiser that came with a 305 SBC and 4bbl carb. Supposed to be a hot running engine, but pushing that big boat at high altitude (8500 ft) it would hardly get on the plane. I swapped the 305 for a 400 w/cam and drilled steam holes in a set of new big valve vortec heads. All the bolt on stuff fits like original and to top it off I left all the 305 logo stuff on the air cleaner. It takes a real sharp chevy person to notice anything different. (Other than they have a hard time keeping up when we are crossing the lake.)

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1974 350ci 160hp 2 barrel from a school bus or C-60 truck

I'm waiting for "Lil' Carnac" to come thru... :popcorn:

Sorry I stole your fire Jim.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never considered it either. It does make sense now. It would have had HEI ignition in 1974 (first year) and a tall aircleaner and a PCV valve in rounded valve covers. What threw me was the lack of emission components I expect to see in a 1974. Emissions were more relaxed on the trucks.

Just curious, 1 line or 2 to the fuel pump from the tank?

I also it may have a 4 bolt block and steel crank. We used to get the old engines from the bus garage when I was younger to rebuild for this reason.

Dan

targhee trucks

I never considered it either. It does make sense now. It would have had HEI ignition in 1974 (first year) and a tall aircleaner and a PCV valve in rounded valve covers. What threw me was the lack of emission components I expect to see in a 1974. Emissions were more relaxed on the trucks.

Just curious, 1 line or 2 to the fuel pump from the tank?

I also it may have a 4 bolt block and steel crank. We used to get the old engines from the bus garage when I was younger to rebuild for this reason.

Dan
Thanks again for the engine info, I've put it in the log book for future.

Radiator: it sprayed coolant last week after running engine a short while. Read on SS not to fill tank all the way, just to top of core, so did that this morning and also installed new thermostat. Started it and let it run until warm, removed radiator cap, coolant flowing nicely in radiator, no leaks or spray, so radiator is good! Nice! Temp gauge reading incorrectly so going to put new sender in.

Fuel line: here are two pics of the line coming out of the tank and going into the engine.

Boyce 1 tank fuel line.jpg

Boyce 1 engine fuel line.jpg

So, Boyce #1 engine is running nicely, clutch and trans working well. Just need to get some brakes, check lubes, etc. and this truck is good to go. But I want to get M220 #1 and M35A2 running first, so Boyce #1 is going to sit for a while.

Lunch is over, back to work!

Jack

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1974 350ci 160hp 2 barrel from a school bus or C-60 truck

I'm waiting for "Lil' Carnac" to come thru... :popcorn:

Sorry I stole your fire Jim.
No problem. The number is: E6094055V0614TMX

The V means it was made in Flint, MI. 06 is June. 14 is the 14th. The TMX is the engine suffix code. If you search the internet it's a 1974 350 C-60. But if you have the book (more in depth) it can be one of the following:
TRU 1974 350 160HP Manual Base engine 2BBL VIN V 60 Series truck
TRU 1975 350 160HP Manual Base Engine 2BBL VIN V
TRU 1976 350 160HP Manual Base Engine 2BBL VIN V
TRU 1977 350 160HP Manual Base Engine 2BBL VIN V 60 Series truck

The beginning is usually a VIN. I am wondering if it starts with a CE and not an E? The VIN is kind of off. Later ones would have been CEA...... You really need the left rear number and the date code to determine which exactly it is, but it's definately a 350 2BBL.

targhee trucks

No problem. The number is: E6094055V0614TMX

The V means it was made in Flint, MI. 06 is June. 14 is the 14th. The TMX is the engine suffix code. If you search the internet it's a 1974 350 C-60. But if you have the book (more in depth) it can be one of the following:
TRU 1974 350 160HP Manual Base engine 2BBL VIN V 60 Series truck
TRU 1975 350 160HP Manual Base Engine 2BBL VIN V
TRU 1976 350 160HP Manual Base Engine 2BBL VIN V
TRU 1977 350 160HP Manual Base Engine 2BBL VIN V 60 Series truck

The beginning is usually a VIN. I am wondering if it starts with a CE and not an E? The VIN is kind of off. Later ones would have been CEA...... You really need the left rear number and the date code to determine which exactly it is, but it's definately a 350 2BBL.
Thanks for the additional info! The numbers and letters were very light, I had to read them very carefully and use my imagination to see some of them. Whoever was swinging the hammer that day must have been tired. I thought I could see something in front of the "E", couldn't make it out clearly enough to see what it was. But, now that I know it might be a "C" I can go back and take another look.

Jack

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the additional info! The numbers and letters were very light, I had to read them very carefully and use my imagination to see some of them. Whoever was swinging the hammer that day must have been tired. I thought I could see something in front of the "E", couldn't make it out clearly enough to see what it was. But, now that I know it might be a "C" I can go back and take another look.

Jack
CE's and CEA's were replacement engines (crate) if they were ever rebuilt (block milled) it would reduce or eliminate the stampings.