• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boyce Remanufactured 2 1/2 ton 6 x 6

targhee trucks

Did you figure out what kind of motor they used?
Hendersond noticed the ramshorn exhaust manifolds and identified it as an early small block Chevy. That's all I have so far. I don't know enough about those small blocks to do more than just make a guess. My first guess would be 350, maybe 327.

targhee trucks

Name that engine!

How about it small block fans. Can anyone identify the engine in Boyce 1? Look at the pictures, watch the video and tell us what you think.

I'll check answers next week when I get back to working on the trucks. :popcorn:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are your choices:
265 (55-57)
283 (57-67)
302 )67-69)
307 (68-70)
327 (62-69) early had small journals and no PVC valve in VC
350 (67-70)
If I remember right, the pcv palve was in the valve cover after 68 and in the valley of the block at the end of the intake before 68.
Can't tell exactly from the pic. How about some pics of the front of the heads? How many frost plugs in the side, 2 or 3? On the RF of the block is a number stamped on a machined pad just below the head. That will be the answer.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On closer examination I see
1974 and later HEI ignition,
pre 72 but post 68 vavle covers,
late 60s to early 70s fuel pump.
Truck aircleaner,
Looks like early 70's large rams horn exhaust.
early short waterpump.

I guess I have no Idea what you have. :-D

Casting numbers....

targhee trucks

On the RF of the block is a number stamped on a machined pad just below the head. That will be the answer.
Are you saying that the number stamped in will be the engine size? 283, 327, 350, etc? Will I see one of those numbers, or a code that leads us to the engine size?

Jack

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But wait! If it has 3 frost plugs per side you have a 1970 to early 19772 265hp 400ci

If it does not, then casting numbers...

targhee trucks

Truck aircleaner,
early short waterpump.

Casting numbers....

Ha! Sounds like they used whatever was left on the shelf! Oh well, it ran good!

There's no date on the Boyce VIN tag riveted to the firewall, so I don't know when the conversion was done. But a '74 ignition makes it look like it was after that, unless that was added later.

I will get to see title, reg., etc., next week. That may tell us something.

Did GM have a "decade" letter code for their casting numbers like Ford did? C=60's, D=70's, etc?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Truck aircleaner,
early short waterpump.

Casting numbers....
all the above will pretty much fit on all the short blocks, could be repair replacement parts or up grades done by the owner

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did GM have a "decade" letter code for their casting numbers like Ford did? C=60's, D=70's, etc?
On the left rear top of the block (kind of between the rear of the head and distributer) there's a # cast under a big "GM". On the right front of the milled head surface on the block (forward of the head) there's a stamped number. Post those two and i'll tell you the size, year and what it came out of. I can also narrow down what vehicles a particular item (head, water pump etc.) came from and what year they are if you have the numbers off the items. (yes, I am like a junior CARNAC on small block Chevy's).:mrgreen:

targhee trucks

On the left rear top of the block (kind of between the rear of the head and distributer) there's a # cast under a big "GM". On the right front of the milled head surface on the block (forward of the head) there's a stamped number. Post those two and i'll tell you the size, year and what it came out of. I can also narrow down what vehicles a particular item (head, water pump etc.) came from and what year they are if you have the numbers off the items. (yes, I am like a junior CARNAC on small block Chevy's).:mrgreen:
I had a few minutes to stop by the trucks this afternoon. I have a casting number for you, but it didn't come from either of the places you mentioned. Both those places were too covered by a thick layer of goo and I didn't have time to scrap it off. I'm planning to work on the trucks tomorrow and will have more time to get the engine cleaned off.

The casting number I got is off the left rear runner of the intake manifold.

GM 20

If that helps, great, otherwise, I'll have the other numbers tomorrow night.

Thanks,

Jack