• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boyce Remanufactured 2 1/2 ton 6 x 6

supermechanic

Either a snow plow or a power gate pump, I've seen them used both ways.
Heavy duty design, some times I find them cast aluminum sump, and some are cast iron.
Being on the front, I would lean toward it's use as a plow pump.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If this is off number 1, the above is what it is because this truck has the plow moumts on the front

targhee trucks

Either a snow plow or a power gate pump, I've seen them used both ways.
Heavy duty design, some times I find them cast aluminum sump, and some are cast iron.
Being on the front, I would lean toward it's use as a plow pump.
That sounds right, thanks. There's a switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel marked "up down". Must go to this pump to run the cylinder for the plow that 73m819 mentions.

Oldfart

I think every one has it nailed as a lift pump for a plow. Given the electric motor type it has to be an intermitent duty application.

targhee trucks

Boyce 1 turned over today

After 10-15 years of sitting in that potato cellar, Boyce 1 turned over today. The battery I had didn't have much life in it, so with some help from the "start" mode on the battery charger, the engine turned over nicely.

And, you know that pump you all identified as the hydraulic pump for the plow. The one with the threaded opening pointed at the engine. Well, I couldn't resist pushing the button on the dash. That little motor spun quickly to life and shot hydraulic fluid all over the engine. :doh:

targhee trucks

Boyce 1 cleaned out.jpg

After getting the engines in both trucks to turn over today it was time to do some serious cleaning in the cabs. They were both full of decades of dirt, trash and other debris. Here's the after picture.

Also, hendersond asked about the defroster vents. They're gone. No ducts underneath the dash and the replacement fiberglass dash curves over the top of the original dash and is tacked down by large rivets.

Gunfreak25

Oh man! That tilting hood is so god darn cool! It DOES look like an 80's mack. I'll bet working on it has been really easy too, I remember how nice it was working on mine when I had the fenders off. Big points for posting all the pics, you need help with anything just send me a PM and i'll be happy to shoot you my phone number. Oh man. Whew. Calm down guy. It's just fiberglass.....

The tilting hood gave me a huge idea and if I did not think everyone would yell at me for doing it I would go out this weekend and start modding my front clip into one gigantic tilting assembly. It would be so easy.

The V8's are awesome. Welcome to the V8 M211 club. :beer:

targhee trucks

Oh man! That tilting hood is so god darn cool! It DOES look like an 80's mack. I'll bet working on it has been really easy too, I remember how nice it was working on mine when I had the fenders off. Big points for posting all the pics, you need help with anything just send me a PM and i'll be happy to shoot you my phone number. Oh man. Whew. Calm down guy. It's just fiberglass.....

The tilting hood gave me a huge idea and if I did not think everyone would yell at me for doing it I would go out this weekend and start modding my front clip into one gigantic tilting assembly. It would be so easy.

The V8's are awesome. Welcome to the V8 M211 club. :beer:
You're welcome.:cool:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would not be so bad if you posted pics of the mod. You have been a little lax on the pictures lately....

Attachments

targhee trucks

Boyce 1 started, ran and drove today!

Wahoo! I am stoked!:smile:

I drained the gas tank this morning expecting to find a bunch of gunk that would take a few days to get out, but when I shined the flashlight in I saw nice clean steel.

So, I quickly drove to town for some new fuel line, spark plugs, fuel filter and a battery.

First attempt was with fuel lines disconnected, son-in-law at the key and me at the carb with a squirt bottle. It fired within seconds after the engine started to turn over. Rough at first, but it smoothed out quickly.

So, hooked up the fuel lines and tried it again. Fired up instantly and within a few minutes it was idling nicely.

This truck hasn't run in 10 - 15 years. Did I mention I was stoked?!

Slip it into first and creep forward, then into reverse and creep backward.

Then a quick check to be sure the emergency brake was working. It was, but just barely, and we were off for our first ride.

Didn't get far. Radiator erupted in several leaks, so we parked it after just a couple hundred yards.

Here's a picture of the instrument panel with the engine running.

Boyce 1 instruments running.jpg

I have about 10 seconds of video on my phone of the engine running. If I can figure out how to post it here I'll do it.

Maybe shouldn't have been in such a hurry to take it for a drive, but it sure was sweet!:driver:

Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. :beer:

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someday I'll come clean about my stop leak in a deuce story. For now I'm only going to say

DON'T DO IT!

Especially if driving across South Dakota.

targhee trucks

Need more info on the radiator leaks. Seams, cores, hoses???
Yes!;-)

Seemed like there was water coming from several places. Shut it off right away so didn't really get a chance to evaluate.

When Boyce did the reman they built a stout steel framework to hang the radiator on. Looks to me like I could put just about any radiator that fits, is large enough for the engine and has the correct hose set up in there. Here's a side view of the framework.

Boyce 1 engine after powerwash.jpg

targhee trucks

Video of engine running

What's all the smoke you say? That's the hydraulic fluid that I pumped all over the engine the other day when I pushed the little silver button on the dashboard. :smile:

Tried to upload it directly to SS, but didn't work. File too big?

So, for those who are interested, here's the link to photobucket

(Edit: just tried the photobucket link, no go. I'll keep working on it.)

Set up youtube account. Let's try this:

http://youtu.be/tV2Q0MbBYKQ

That works.

Last edited: