• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California High Desert "Rally"

Good response for moving a little north, you are probably correct about the trail sizes in Hungry Vally, but there is plenty to do there, plenty of open area large enough for a duece. I think the event and camping alone would be fun. Fright night put on by cal 4 wheel club is in early october and they put on a GREAT event. Even to meet there would be a good time, I have gone for the last 3 or 4 years and its alot of fun. Panament woud be another fun one, I have wanted to do that in my Early Bronco for a long time, looks like building some ramps to put my bronco on my duece is in order.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to check the map. Panamint Springs is 100 mi. N. of the Randsburg area. In a deuce alone, it would take about 2 1/2 hrs. When there are more vehicles, it will take longer because there will allways be a problem, a flat, shred a belt, fuel or oil leak etc. The Panamint valley is beautiful, but, there are also people from the So. OC and Riverside area that might want to come, and, a whole days drive kind of just leaves time to, well just drive there and back. The Pinnacles off of Trona Rd are a sight, but, again, it will probably take 4-5 hours or so to get there with a convoy of trucks...it takes 3 to 3 1/2 pulling a trailer in my p/u with 3 others along just to 20 Mule Team Rd, and that's still 10 mi. S. of Randsburg. I think we should..for this first trip..limit our distance to say no farther than the Johannesburg/Randsburg area, that's still a drive for the guys south of the L.A. basin. There is also not much in the area for repair stuff if needed. That's why I think we should maybe stick to the Barstow or Lucerne areas. Not too far, maybe 3 to 3 1/2 hrs driving for most of the guys who wanna go, repair parts close, I know people who are close to the area so IF someone breaks bad, we can get vehicles stored 'till they can be fixed, and this will most likely be a shake down run for a few vehicles. If I am sounding too "conservative" lemme know. I just think it should be a fun, relaxing time for all, and driving all day long on the highway can wear a body out and leave no time for the fun stuff! How 'bout the Red Rock/Jawbone area?? Anyone heard of Slash-X cafe?

key-largo

WillWagner said:
If I am sounding too "conservative" lemme know. I just think it should be a fun, relaxing time for all, and driving all day long on the highway can wear a body out
Will, I believe that being more conservative on a first California High Desert Rally is a very, very good call.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, WWII, good to see ya here! I still have you window and steps.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote is for the Barstow, Lucerne area. Seems like a more centralized area and Will is right regarding the support structure throughout the area.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some rough ESTIMATES on mileage.
From the I-10 and I-15 interchange,
El Mirage....70 mi. BLM comtrolled, rangers everywhere. No places to visit, flat landscape. Can get yery windy
Stoddard valley...75 mi. Lightly patrolled by BLM, deli and desert bar close, nice trails/roads. Depends on where you are for how windy it gets.
Lucerne Valley/Camprock road...87 mi. Virtually no BLM/Rangers, but controlled by BLM. No establishments to visit, lots of mines, trails/roads. Nice wind protection. A place called "Steves Place". In the middle of nowhere, and he has a cool gun range.
Redrock/Jawbone...195mi. YEARS since i've been there. Don't know how heavy BLM/Rangers are. Lots of space and terrain from desert to mountains. Again, depending on where you camp for wind protection.
Site B/Randsburg area...115 mi. Kind of flat, lots of space, 45 min from site B to Randsburg, nice 1800s bar that serves lunch, A WC6x that I was thinking about buying on the way into town !
Gary and Devin. Did some mileages form youse guys, don't know if they are too accurate, i've had 10 phone calls since I started figuring yours.
Devin,
Redrock...110
Stoddard...135
El Mirage...155
Lucerne...160
Site B...175
ALL but Redrock are via 138/18.

Gary, Add apx 25 miles to your mileage guestimates

IMHO, we should stick to the Stoddard, Lucerne, Site B/Randsburg areas.
These are only suggestions that I feel are fairly close and aren't too bad when it comes to the terrain or repairs. Please, if anyone else has an idea, put it out there.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm open for any place, I usually go out to Cal city, its got a bit of everything. All the years of me going out there, I have only seen 1 BLM person. Kern county Sheriff has an offroad team out there now, I think only on weekends, but I have never actually seen them where I go.

area52

Is there a set date for this yet? I have to register for the Panamint Valley Days thing soon and I really can't go there and meet up with you guys also if we are gonna meet on Nov 10th weekend.

Hopefully I will have my 5 ton in good running condition by then.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nah, nuthin' for sure yet. We're still working on it. I think Panamint will be too far for a Fri. eve thru Sun. afternoon trip. We still have 3 1/2 months left to get our stuff together.

I think gorman is still a viable fun opportunity, off a major highway many of us can get to. Plenty of fun to be had, I cant imagine a spark arrestor issue with a duece, do they really throw sparks out the exhaust. The Rangers have much bigger issues than a bunch of 13K pound rigs toodling around the park. I cant really imagine too serious wheeling being done in a duece. Anyone up for Gorman?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Will. Mike, Jon and a few others were kicking it around. Looks like the Stoddard valley area. Now we just gotta decide where in that area!

hole

Sounds great ! Any date yet? We just bought a new house with a 30 day escrow , hoping moving wont interfere with trip. P.S. I need to change fluids / filters etc. maybe I could enlist your services. I'll bring plenty of "coldies"

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think most folks can make the Stoddard Valley area. I'm thinking we should lock down a date in Nov. How about the 9th thru 11th? Let's start chiming in and get a date set!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The w-end of Nov.10 is great. I think that was touched on b-4.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another shameless bump! This Sunday, Oct. 7th, BigMike and myself are gonna do a bonsai run to the high dez to find a good spot for next month. Only a quick run there, scope out a few sites, maybe a little wheelin' and back, then a report on our findings and destination. Hopefully Mike has a GPS, I don't, so it can be marked for anyone who wants to come. I will take pics. Anyone else who would like to go, the more the merrier. PM me or give me a shout via cell. 626-840-1751.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, I'm in...as you know. I don't have a GPS but we can will do just fine with a map and a digital camera.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
got some pics of camping areas

Will, my wife and myself went out to the Stoddard Wells area and scouted out some camping and riding areas.
It was an awsome day, about 60 degrees and blue skies. We found a great nook just big enough to fit 5-10 big M.V.'s. Nice wind block yet right off the one of the main dirt roads. Tons of riding miles and a few hills that look fun but not impossible for a deuce.

Will knows the area like the back of his hand and took us on some great trails.

So it's all set. Nov. 9th-11th. There will be a convoy on the 9th. For all that can't make the conovy, we will have maps/markers getting you to base camp. It's finally going to happen, a High desert, So. Cal. RALLY!!!!!

Everyone is welcome...far and wide...come join us for a very memorable weekend.

Here are some pics...enjoy

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks