• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camper M109 - Spacial Transformations style

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't. I'm thinking of changing the inside of that access port to something like a 30amp socket. We don't really have much need of shore power . . . so it's been low on the list.

zout

Low - I like the canopy over the rear door for the step area - I am going to steal your idea just so you know.

As far as the 30/50 power plug - from our end we hit a few rv campgrounds and use the 50 at times and with the rv power plug adapter it is capable of "stepping down" with a very convenient adapter.

Great Pics of your excursions - makes me envious.

camogriz

That is a sweet rig, and the places you've been with it seem just as amazing. Congratulations on a first class execution of your ideas to reality.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Low - I like the canopy over the rear door for the step area - I am going to steal your idea just so you know.
Zout,
Go for it. After 35 years of living in vehicles I know that there is nothing new out there, and I get my inspiration from others' build threads . . . yours included ;) If you want PM me and I'll give you the details of how I did it, what worked, what didn't, and what I'm going to change.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after a few long trips in the last couple years, we decided that we needed another fuel tank on the trucks . . . of course the She Beast gets her's first.

We started by taking off the tool box, we kept the step because we knew that it would take some time (in between trips out) before we would get it finished.
After having it off for a while (getting tank and parts ready) we decided that we were going to a gathering in Anza B . . . which is near the edge of our 50gal limit. So I did this quick mod to hold some jerry cans. If I was going to do this permanent I would add some sides for strength.
12-03-21 (0).jpg 12-03-21 (1).jpg 12-03-21 (3).jpg

The Tank going in was another 50gal, and a step tank, which I first found was possible from Uncle Mickey (Thank you!)
We also know that we will not be able to fit the new tank w/ the spare in it stock space. So we pulled that and the mount. This may end up on the roof rack on top of the box.
12-04-01.jpg

The next thing was that the parking brake cable was routed so that it was in the way. Time to mod :)
I removed the handle from the floor mounting and, w/ the help of a friend, fab'd a new mount. I then added a plate on the floor to cover the hole, to raise it enough to clear some welds on the edge of the floor, and routed the cable through the back of the cab. This of course makes it work in reverse . . . but we can deal w/ that.
12-04-09 (1).jpg 12-04-10.jpg 12-04-14 (0).jpg12-04-14 (1).jpg P4300029.jpg P4300030.jpg

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LowTech is it worth going to the Overland Expo - Home ? I guess this year it is just south of Flagstaff.
Contrary to Mr Gatos take on it ;) we are not only going but the She Beast is a featured vehicle this year :)
We did go last year (we were in the area) and they are liking their tech. We are going to show that you can do it on the cheap & simple ;)

jesusgatos

Very interested in details about that tank too. Dimensions, capacity, application, etc. Have been looking at step-tanks, trying to find something that looks like pretty much exactly what you seem to have found. Looks like would work with a stock tank behind it?

M1031CMT

New fuel tank looks good. I am sure that once you paint it, she will blend right into the truck and look like it came from the factory that way.

Keep up the good work.

jesusgatos

Oh, and I'm obviously pretty tech-oriented too. The thing that really drove me away was the fact that the'yre just selling the 'expo' experience so hard, and most of those guys are buying it. Literally. Their all expo'ed-out. Right down to their undies. Cool deal about getting a feature spot for your rig though. Really like what you've done with it.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice tank. GMC?
Very interested in details about that tank too. Dimensions, capacity, application, etc. Have been looking at step-tanks, trying to find something that looks like pretty much exactly what you seem to have found. Looks like would work with a stock tank behind it?
I'm not sure what it came off . . . other than it was a friend's dump truck. I can check.
It's a 50 gal tank @ 95% full. 36" long, 23 1/2" deep, 16 1/2" high, not counting holding brackets. That leaves 36" back to the mudflap and the stock tank measures at 40". It would take some real stuffin' to make them both fit.

Oh, and I'm obviously pretty tech-oriented too. The thing that really drove me away was the fact that the'yre just selling the 'expo' experience so hard, and most of those guys are buying it. Literally. Their all expo'ed-out. Right down to their undies. Cool deal about getting a feature spot for your rig though. Really like what you've done with it.
Thanks, I'm still waiting for you to get yours on the road and quit living at your parents home. I could be old before we can do any trips ;)
They are selling it pretty major . . . but not all of us have tv, I have to go to things like this to get my amusement. There's lots to laugh at ;)
I didn't know they had "Expo Undies" I WANT SOME!

After running hundreds of miles of dirt tracks before getting there last year, I saw that someone who runs a Mog made a comment on their blog after the event that our rigs were known to be VERY uncomfortable . . . and they have a MOG!
Maybe this year I'll be parked next to a Unicat LOL

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yello Bronc, are you really selling your set up? How'm I going to be able to hang w/ you and mister Casa Azul if you get rid of yours?

Just noticed that in 6 more post you will be pure evil :shock:

M1031CMT

I would like to come down to the show with my truck, even though some of the people there might be a bit "different". Seen a few programs on tv about it and it looks pretty cool. But sadly it would be one h ell of a ride for me down there in the M109. Though I might come down one day in one of the other expedition trucks w/trailers I have.

For the fuel tank, are you going to use the original brackets that held the storage box, or fab up some new ones? I picked up some fuel tank mounts off a scrapped M35 a while ago to do a dual fuel tank mod on my truck but never got around to it.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was also curious if you were going to put any skid plates or the like under the tank?

I noticed during the thread where you earned your avatar picture, that you tend to take the less traveled path. :)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to come down to the show with my truck, even though some of the people there might be a bit "different". Seen a few programs on tv about it and it looks pretty cool. But sadly it would be one h ell of a ride for me down there in the M109. Though I might come down one day in one of the other expedition trucks w/trailers I have.

For the fuel tank, are you going to use the original brackets that held the storage box, or fab up some new ones? I picked up some fuel tank mounts off a scrapped M35 a while ago to do a dual fuel tank mod on my truck but never got around to it.
Yeah, Bring down a tricked out ambulance w/ a M416 (or the like) and we could have a "No-Tech" Expo camp :)

The brackets from the step / tool box are not strong enough IMHO. W/o sides on it, it will flex from standing on it (and I'm only 150#). The tank came w/ the brackets and they are much heavier than the ones under the step, w/ straps already as part o them . . . no fab'ing there. Just need to do some drilling.

I was also curious if you were going to put any skid plates or the like under the tank?

I noticed during the thread where you earned your avatar picture, that you tend to take the less traveled path. :)
I'm not going to skid plate them, at least at this point. She doesn't really get driven that way very often. It's mine, the little Draggin', that needs that kind of thing . . . I'm putting the two tanks in the bed, the batts up high where the fuel tank was, the spare is already "mex style" standing in the bed, the tool box is gone, and both steps will go up to the height of the tool rack. After that I'll just need a rollbar ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks