• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cry Baby Neighbors

jaxsof

Bear in mind that town ordinances do have an important job when people live close together: They help to keep the peace.

o Cook smoked possum in an outdoor smoker that is upwind of you.
o Build and use an outhouse instead of the city plumbing.
o Keep swine in a wallow on your fence line.
o Harbor a major colony of yellow jackets along your fence line.

o Roosters! Lots of Roosters!
o Let their kids ride their dirt bikes around and around and around the yard.

o Set up a rifle range aiming at your fence line...
o Fire cannon...

That's what I did. (There are days when I look a little like Ted.)

-Chuck

...and whats wrong with these things?

We need to talk!

paulfarber

MVs? HA! Try tree's, fences, or the worst, landscaping.

I had to get county to sign off on my garage slab because the the borough permit listed that I was grading a 40x30 section. They saw that and required me to get a drainage survey. I got out a piece of paper and did the math to get sq ft then showed them the ordnance that it was required if more than 5000 sq ft is graded. STILL had to get the sign off that it was under 5000 sq ft !?!?!?!?

I researched the piss out of cutting the limbs off my neighbors overhanging tree limbs (picture 20+ ft limbs, 15+ ft of it IN MY YARD! After I got the laws straightened out I told them they could pay to have them cut down, or let me cut them down but I want to go to the tree, no just to my property line. They said they would get back to me. I guess they called their lawyer becuase they were more than happy to let ME cut to the tree.

I agree with the above. Know the law (at least be very familiar with it) then proceed with a plan that maximizes your return.

armytruck63

An old Guiberson Diesel tank engine is also very effective at smoking out the neighbors (I'm kidding, of course).

The upside is you would have no mosquitos for a week. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Monica

o Fire cannon...

-Chuck
Hey, that's a yearly tradition at my house! Of course, it's also tradition to invite all my neighbors to the 4th of July Party that it happens at. Usually it's their kids (with supervision, of course) setting off the cannons.

That being said, knowing your code can save a lot of hassle. If the neighbor is vindictive, as well as chicken, there will be another anonymous letter sent to your city's code violations department instead of to you. You're kind of lucky you got warned.

stumps

Many of the things on my list are fine and dandy if it is you, or someone you love, doing it at a time that you think is a good time.

The problem is when it is someone you don't much care for doing it at a time you don't think is such a good time:

Canon on the 4th of July is downright patriotic. Canon at midnight every night of the week might be a little annoying.

-Chuck

5tonpuller

1) Purchase a surplus 2 stroke Detroit Diesel generator for your home. (2) Make sure it's a na/supercharged only model (no turbo to reduce noice) (3) Remove muffler and let it bark. Hopefully the pesky neighbor will have a for sale sign in their yard in the next few days...

You could also run a heavy grade of used motor oil through it to ensure a nice haze of smoke lingers in your neighborhood.

Andy
I have never seen a "Detroit Diesel" NOT HAVE a haze of smoke lingering around.
LMAO :jumpin::p:p

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to be nice to everyone. When they need help, offer it. Keep your junk neat and organized. Most people will not mind the deuce. I have a neighbor that is a work of art. I have helped him and his dad a few times. He has an issue with ANY noise...this is another story...He has never complained about the truck.

Does possum stink when cooked??

stampy

I agree with Will W Try to treat others with the respect you would want from them. Try to keep your area clean and neat and follow the law or get it changed or move (or don't have an MV parked there) Remember sometimes a little good will goes a long way.

stumps

Does possum stink when cooked??
Most game does if you don't remove all of the fat, and use herbs and spices to mask and flavor the taste. Generally American tastes are accustomed to farm raised beef, pork and poultry. Venison, possum, squirrel, rabbit, and all of the fowl, add a host of new smells and tastes, and require different cooking techniques.

If you ever want to learn about cooking smells, try cooking in a trailer. You will find that most meat will gag you unless you add onions or garlic.

-Chuck

pgwaldner

Did they leave the letter in your mailbox? IF so give it to your postmaster with a complaint for them to investigate. It is a federal offense to put anything in someone elsews mailbox.

FMFDOC

Slightly off on a tangent here... My HOA says that I can not have a "truck" in my driveway, with exception of "pick-up" and "van" types.

If I get a bobbed deuce, it has a tow rating of approx. 10,000 pounds right? It has 4 wheels, a bed, a cab, etc. At what point does it become what someone could logically pass off as a 1 ton pickup?

I guess they could nail me on the gross vehicle weight issue, but they don't address that in the bylaws.
They do have a catch all phrase that they can use though. They could call it a "nuisance".

Any thoughts/advice?

(surrounded by yuppies with too much money and too much free time)

3dAngus

My son almost bought a house in Florida until he found out you could not keep a boat in the driveway, side of the house, or in the back yard. You can keep it in the garage if you can close the doors 100%.

wilber

Don't want to HIJACK this thread, but WW raises a VERY GOOD QUESTION.....

Hey, Wreckerman....

Could you post a "SCRATCH-AND-SNIFF" attachment so that ALS SteelSoldiers can recognize the "SCENT OF CHOW-TIME" :?: :?:
:shock::jumpin::drool:
THANKS [thumbzup]

Possums stink when they aren't cooked... No offense Wreckerman!! One just killed one of my chickens.

Darwin T

I really hope there is no law against where I can park because I am thinking about towing some broken rusted trucks in the back and taking the fence down.
its not the law that gets you, its the city ordanence that bites you in the butt. if the city does not want you to do something and there is no rule to stop you, then they make one. a year after i bought my first deuce the city of Port Arthur, TX made a ordanence that i can not park any vehicle longer than 18' in my driveway, that runs beside my house. all of my deuces are state inspected (required by law), licensed (required taxation) and insured (required by law). my house is paid for (including all required taxes). we have no homeowners a$$, but we have a neighbor hood watch that turns people in. "The Griffin Park Citizens Patrol". our fine is $100.00 to $2,000.00 a day set by the City Persecutor.:soapbox:

Boatcarpenter

Darwin T,
If the ordinances changed after you had been parking your trucks in your driveway for a while, you should be "grandfathered". Check state law to see if what they did is illegal or does not pertain to you.
BC

Darwin T

Port Arthur the "Great Vacuum"

Darwin T,
If the ordinances changed after you had been parking your trucks in your driveway for a while, you should be "grandfathered". Check state law to see if what they did is illegal or does not pertain to you.
BC

FMFDOC
18 feet? Isn't a crewcab long bed pickup over 20 feet?
$100 - $2,000 per day... Some might view that as an "unreasonable" amount.
yes, FMFDOC i think it is "unreasonable". the city fined a guy $2,000.00 for parking in his own front yard to wash his truck!

no, Boatcarpenter there is nothing in the ordinance about grandfatering anything.

However GOD loves me. i have jury duty in the same court, same judge and same city persecutor on 04/13/11 that fined me in Feburary.

here is the story i posted under a thread about "FMV".

the guy that writes the tickets told me "no commercial vehicles" in the drive way, then got a citation for illegal parking in a residential neighbor hood. when to court house and the city persecutor and the guy who gave the ticket both said "no commercial vehicles" i explained it was not commercial. then they pull the ordinance and it just said vehicles over 18' over night, nothing said "commercial". i broke that ordinance because i did what they said "no commercial vehicles". so because the ordinance said 18' i was breaking that rules (did not know). "ignorance of the law is no excuse" so i plead no contest because all of my deuces are over 18' (i only parked one at a time at my house). the fine is 100.00 to 2,000.00 dollars "a day" and the two guy across the desk get to pick how much. so they agreed on 100.00 (i guess because i followed what they said). then the city persecutor took me to see the judge, and told him i plead no contest and the fine was 100.00. while the judge was entering the information in the computer at his desk i was complaining about how this went down. after entering the information and printing it out he then told me "if i had what they (the two guys in the next room) told me in writing, i would not have had to pay the fine" then he handed me the paperwork and told me where to go to pay the fine. i still would not be able to park any of my deuces (all of which are paid for, licensed (taxed), inspected and insured) in my driveway of my house that i have lived in for 23+ years (that is paid for, taxed and insured)

when i bought my first deuce after hurricane ike (for a BOV), it was not a city ordinance, it was about a year later that they made that rule. i would like to park a 14' saladin or a M114 apc (i should to say ATV or boat) in my driveway. i just could not afford the M114 that was for sales in california a couple of weeks back.

PS. yes, i do hold grudges for a longgggg time. :evil:

sorry for the rant, i have not had my first cup of coffee yet. i think i will go get it now. :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks