• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Build... Here We Go Again...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrecker is just fine there Mikey, as a matter of fact I used it to load your 6.5 turbo on the trailer I delivered to your house a while back. It may not be done or going down the road but it sure is lifting stuff and moving it around my AO. Ya got to give it a little slack, it is 55 years old. :popcorn:

devilman96

Well an update...

Things are finally moving along... Body is ready to have the parts and pieces start going back on, jambs are all shot, etc...

Transmission is done, TC is waiting for me to get back to it sense Friday...

Lift is installed...

Baked potato conversion process started...

For you sicko's that didn't think the rear ring was happening I got the hatch from Sermis last Friday, its recut, sandblasted, fitted to the top and waiting for some lower supports.

I'm tired... the bags under my eyes make me look like the undead... my knees are shot... I'm in such'a fog I couldn't tell you 8 AM from 8 PM if I closed the shop doors and couldn't see daylight ... My hands have no feeling left... my wrist are proving that Arthritis is not a joke... My better half is wondering if she still has a better half... *sigh*... damn hobby!!!

Attachments

devilman96

I think color is a few days off yet... I need to get the inside insualted, rear top done, motor, trans, speaker boxes, etc, etc, etc in so I can shoot the outside in one piece... If not I will be forever repainting panels and fixing dints, dents and scratches!!!

A few more pics...

Santa brought me a pile of Rockford Fosgate for Xmas!!! (only about $900 in speakers and amps left to buy*gulp*)

Body outside after todays jamb gun event... Man this thing is HIGH for a 2" lift!!!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not to threadjack, but what keys do the CUCV's take?

Awesome build D-man! :beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both the welder and the air compressor are already done in the form of the driver! The required :razz: so folks know I'm joking!

FreightTrain

Banned
This week will be a mad dash for getting the suspension installed, paint done, power train in and we will see how fast this thing fly back together before Jan 1st!!!

Well,slacker?Is it done yet?You got 22 hours 20 minutes till Jan 1st.......Get moving!Gee,At this rate,I will have my Basket case M543A2 drug back and fully functional plus wreckermans fleet fully combat ready before you get done with that little ol K5 Bow tie thing!

Last edited:

devilman96

Some updates... It’s been busy, unfortunately the time has not been spent on the truck as much as it has working on wheels and resolving the holiday mess created by orders and UPS.

Sometime between Xmas and New Years I had a bad day and ended up chunking my TC across the shop... Needless to say it didn’t take the landing to well... That’s what happens when you spend 18-20 hours a day working for almost 2 months straight... I needed some time away from the truck as it almost got forklifted into the dumpster... When I tweak... I tweak... and no matter what it may be I’m 100% about destroying it. Mike and Kenny will both tell you... I have a 30 yard dumpster and I've put many a project into the bottom of it!

So... before I did the deed (thank you Kenny for talking me out of it) I called it quits through New Years and up until the past day or two I have not done much of anything CUCV related.

Any who... Here is where we sit... I called up a glass company and had them drop the windshield into the truck. It ended up taking 3 people and a bottle jack to get it into place! (LMC windshield seals are a WEE bit oversized.

The TC rebuild still needs to be started over…*sigh*

I cut down, cut out, and bolted on the access hatch assy Sermis sent me for the top... (friggen sweet!!!) I have two lids made for this (I owe him one) but I am still debating latching mechanisms.

Reinstalled the doors, tail gate, rear top, dash, etc..

Top of the truck is wired...

Rear AC installed...

Various lighting and electrical work going on...

Heater box had to come back out for some more cutting… I cleared the firewall just fine but it caused clearance issues under the dash with the AC going in. That is all going back in tomorrow…

Currently working on battery mounts… I am using 2 civy OEM mounts under the hood, so one driver side, one passenger side against the firewall… The other 2 batteries will be mounted under the body below the rear seat straddling the rear diff… and mounted upside down no less… I mean… If you’re going to do something do it with insanity.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bro, you need to stay off that Redbull crap. Anyhoo, I'm back in town if you need a sounding board. Wife is headed out within the next 4 days so I'll prolly be wherever she needs me for that time.

klawrence

On your previous duece project, you installed pwer steering. I did read where you had some flow rate issues. Any chance you can give me a follow up on what hardware was used and any gotchas to look for.

devilman96

On your previous duece project, you installed pwer steering. I did read where you had some flow rate issues. Any chance you can give me a follow up on what hardware was used and any gotchas to look for.
PM M35TOM (might be tomm35)... he has a set up worked out for them that is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to do than what I did...

devilman96

Ok some quick updates...

The drive train is FINALLY ready to go back into the truck tomorrow... That will be a huge feat in its self! It will still take a day or two of wiring to get all of the engine electoral into place with having to re-route sensors and glow plug connections.

I've spent most of this week under the dash... It may not "look" like much but there is a solid 100 man hours burnt this week.

The AC and heating... The fire wall really presented a challenge to getting everything to fit and work properly. The heat box had to be cut again to clear the AC on the LH side of the glove box which normally isn't an issue but with moving everything from the firewall out 3" inches it put everything in the way... The defrost ducting was tied back in using 2.5 round flexible ducting. I still have to mod the glove box even further to get it back into place.

Wiring... 90% of my time has been spent on the alarm, windows, remote start, power locks, etc, etc, etc... The system is about 150 different connections and is a bit of a mind bender on a 12V over 24V system. Some cool features of this ordeal are...

Remote starting...
Start disabling on alarm...
Auto window roll up on alarmarming...
Remote door locks, automatic on arm/disarm...
Interior light control...
Engine monotoring... If it starts and something isn't right it shuts the engine down while sending you a error message via the remote.
Programed auto start... You can tell the truck to start up every "X" minutes and run for "X" minutes then shut down and repeat the process on its own... handy for cold weather, stereo, power inverters, and I am sure other uses!!!

I pulled the crappy starter relay out and put a solenoid in place, there wasn't any issues in the past with it however they are one of the most notorious electrical problems with CUCV's. If you have ever wondered how to do this, theres your wiring connections in the pic!!!

Wiring on all of the interior is pretty much pulled... Interior lights, spare power over head in the roof, lots of little things, some connected, some not.

I've started hard mounting some of the other toys... broadband router, inverter, etc... I'm trying to feel things out "size" wise and see how much space this is all going to take up as the less quarter panel room I have the more outward the sub woofer enclosures have to stick out which I am working HARD to keep as narrow as possible.

A note on the inverter... Its a small 300W unit but will be plenty for laptops, a TV or any other gadget you might want to take along on a trip camping, etc. It allows for remote on/off and will have outles wires into the truck its self IE the 110V plugs will be mounted in the front of the truck where you need them when finished... Every thing you see in the pic right now will be covered over later on.

There are prolly 1000 details I am leaving out durring all of this... I am sorry I am not being as detailed with this build as I was with Diablo but like I said in the beginning... I just dont have the time to build, work, run the store, and post daily.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks