• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Build... Here We Go Again...

devilman96

Well... I finally found a torque converter today. Its amazing how hard it is to find a 6 bolt converter with a 1200 rpm stall speed for a 700R4.

I called around to a lot of places and eventually sunk to the level of hotrod shops which left me wondering... Is it a prerequisite to be an A-hole in that business or something?

PATC ... heres to you guys ..l.. _-_-_ ..l.. sit and spin ya arrogant jerks!! There is nothing like calling somewhere trying to ask for something, and being interrupted 5 times to be told I'm wrong, confused and I dont know what engine and transmission I have...

Anyways... After a few more calls I got into touch with Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford, TX http://www.phoenixtrans.com ... Poor guys... I was so damn annoyed by the time I got in touch with them!!!! But... they listened to what I needed, asked what I had, wondered why in gods name i was using a 700R4, shot me a price, took my CC info and said they would have it made within 2 days... Turns out they manufacture their own stuff in house! Sweet! I cant remember what the cost was... but it was reasonable for something I tired of calling about!!!

Anyone have any KNOWLEDGEABLE advice on radiators? I had a Holiday Inn Express moment today and managed to fill mine full of pinholes trying to rod the oyster farm out of the inside of it... was a wee bit past saving! I'm not going to go with aluminum, 2 rows bugs me to much... I found a stock 3 row but its 450$... *ugh*

Crash_AF

Dude, I'm right there with you on the Hot Rod shops... if you think asking for a Chevy part is bad, try calling them about a Ford part. I had to give up on my search for a 4BBL Holley linkage to connect the TV cable for an AOD conversion because if it wasn't Chevy, they didn't even want to give me the time of day.

Later,
Joe

devilman96

Woo hoo... Cab corners!!! THANK YOU CRASH! Time to do some welding!

Other stuff is showing up also... Got the tuffy console in so I can get the computer mounted, prolly do that tomorrow, pics to come!

Also... Joel will be SO HAPPY... I've been spring shopping for about 8 months and cant get a stock set of springs for under 650$ ... But I can get a 2 inch lift with shocks and springs for 405$ (including shipping)... So there ya go Joel!!! I think with the kit and diesel it SHOULD settle out an inch or so higher.

SO... because I am so close to getting the drive train in I'm going to hold off on painting right away (prolly next week) so I can get this drive train dropped into place... its to easy to do with the body off not to wait... Being that I'm already 3 weeks behind schedule, what difference is that gonna make?

Also... Radiator... found a 4 core for $350 life time waranty... I'll take that over a 3 row!

devilman96

Well... its controlled chaos but here's where things are...

Some shots of the old radiator... Nice hu?

New radiator is here... Already hacked up and redone to fit everything we had on the other.

I started hacking up the tuffy console... Nothing like dropping 260$ to cut something! Fans are in, i need to get some 3/4 angle to do the divider in the box... I have at least 3000+ lbs of steel here and I always need something else! Computer will reside on the bottom level which will be sealed off and the top side will be like a regular console... Should be pretty stealth when done.

Engine... every time I think I'm done I find something else.. TV finally got here so thats looking o be a LOT easier than I thought. I'm using a B&M universal cable which... when they say it fits EVERYTHING they mean it, its adjustable from about 25" out to 48"...

I have had the accessories on and off of this engine about 8 times now... We spent about 4 hours shimming and redoing the mounting to get the pulleys straight!!! The 6.5 heads might have the same bolt holes but the facing depth is shallower than a 6.2 by about .500... Made for a interesting ordeal.

Starter now has a rear support... on and on... I think after the TV and oil lines I'm DONE!!!!

I'm tired... *sigh*.. i need this thing out of my hair!

Attachments

Westech

CPL
I cant wait till you get that all together... that engine really is not a bad one. You should see in the range of 210 HP. When we get hummers with that engine there rated at like 185 hp, but they have a check ball in the fuel line that wont let the pump get all the fuel it needs. (keeps the 18 yo punks under 100 MPH) and we cut that check ball right out of it. Really wakes up that engine.

Chevytruck

ROFL!!!!

you said you were going to keep the suspension stock!!!!

yeah i know you had no choice

but i don't think it would register a true full horsepower though? right?
you have a lot of accessories pulling down that engine
although you would have more function than those running stock rofl

wait till recovery reads that your not keeping the suspension stock

well if I'm wrong... point it out

"learning in process here" (me of course)

devilman96

Kenny knows... He and I talk just about daily as to what is going on. I whine, piss, moan and run my good and bad ideas by him... He usually adds a few more bad ideas to the list... I go from there. Its Joel that is going to get a gitty with the "i told you so's"

Accessories and HP... eh... I don't think so... You cant feel the AC on the 6.2, otherwise the 150 amp alts are not any different. There is also the "me" factor here too... That engine is 220 hp "stock"... Every diesel I crawl into I first crawl under the hood, step 1 check the fluids, belts, etc... step 2 Kick the IP in the teeth!!

I have a pyro and boost gauge and no regards for fuel adjustment screws. I like them to feel very violated when I get done with them!!!

Thats the nice thing about diesels... If you want to add HP all you have to do is crank the fuel to them making your foot the governor. Mind the guage and all is fine... stop paying attention and things go south real fast. But it shouldnt take much to see 240-250 out of this engine with out being abusive to it!

Chevytruck

Kenny knows... He and I talk just about daily as to what is going on. I whine, piss, moan and run my good and bad ideas by him... He usually adds a few more bad ideas to the list... I go from there. Its Joel that is going to get a gitty with the "i told you so's"

Accessories and HP... eh... I don't think so... You cant feel the AC on the 6.2, otherwise the 150 amp alts are not any different. There is also the "me" factor here too... That engine is 220 hp "stock"... Every diesel I crawl into I first crawl under the hood, step 1 check the fluids, belts, etc... step 2 Kick the IP in the teeth!!

I have a pyro and boost gauge and no regards for fuel adjustment screws. I like them to feel very violated when I get done with them!!!

Thats the nice thing about diesels... If you want to add HP all you have to do is crank the fuel to them making your foot the governor. Mind the guage and all is fine... stop paying attention and things go south real fast. But it shouldnt take much to see 240-250 out of this engine with out being abusive to it!

i would love to see this truck when your finished lol
and you will probably outrun everybody in your class anyway while being technically "cool"

devilman96

Some updates...

Got the TV mount done... Not as bad as expected. I had to make a stud adapter and fool around with the angles a bit but I think ti worked out nice. This B&M universal cable made this job SO MUCH EASIER!!! I'm about 3 inches away from the IP pump when mounted and still have about 6" of additional cable left to play with if it was needed.

We started in on the cab corners finally... After trimming out both sides its evident that you will never get to the rust that is up in the windshield lip area so to help compensate for that I used a fogging system and tech grade phosphoric acid to blow the whole inside of the roof with acid... We will let this dry through tomorrow, weld the panels in, them go back through the roof holes and blow the whole inside with bed liner materal... After that expandable foam for insulation and sound.

Some more powder coating... Seems like every time a blink I find 10 more parts that need to be done... *ugh*!

Every time UPS pulls up its like Christmas around here... A they bring more stuff... B they never have the box your hoping to get that day!

Attachments

devilman96

Ok this weekends mayhem...

Sheet metal work on the cab is being wrapped up as I type... (about friggen time)

Console is pretty much done, or as much as it can be with out being installed. ... about 30 hours of work later! But it looks pretty darn good!!!

Passenger door is back in one piece and ready to go on the body... as is the drivers fender. Which is officially marks all of the sheet metal sub components as finished!

The instrument panel is done being hacked up and put back together for the AC parts.

Dash is done and waiting to be reinstalled...

This week will be a mad dash for getting the suspension installed, paint done, power train in and we will see how fast this thing fly back together before Jan 1st!!!

Attachments

dependable

You are-------, and I say that as a compliment. so few go so far with any one truck. I tried it a couple times. once with a studebaker e-13 d which I never finished, and once with a chev 66 k-20. with some success , but with far less . I hope you can drive it forever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks