• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Build... Here We Go Again...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could keep that area open and use it as radiant heat? I bet you're sorry I ever bought that motor.

devilman96

You could keep that area open and use it as radiant heat? I bet you're sorry I ever bought that motor.
It aint giving me one inch of easy thats for sure... I just keep sayin its worth it... its worth it....

the exhaust feed pipe will touch the floorboard on the drivers side, a 1" body lift should take care of it.
Naw I believe I've got it with this as I took out the pinch weld in the body in front of the gas petal mounting... I started on the body life thing and changed my mind... They look like total crap to be nice about it!!!

I'm taking this weekend off... I'm pretty beat up after the last few weeks of working non stop...

Also... Looks like Crash was able to cut out the roof corners of his parts truck so next week might be a good week with a LOT of this thing coming back together!!!! SWEET!!! I need to see some serious instant gratification about right now as I'm feeling pretty over whelmed about the deadline!

ONTOS66

Wow! What a project! I'd ALMOST drive to Florida to see the finished project - but I HATE sand! 4 years in the Fleet Marine Force - and I NEVER want to see a beach again!!!

42 degrees and he's inside under the blankets? It was 18 degrees last night with a light snow and I had a Boy Scout troop and some silly civilians camping in tents and smiling. :)

Very impressed by the talent and deep pockets for a project like this. I'm doing good to finish a rattle can paint job for my M1028.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live 15.4 miles from the beach and haven't been there in years unless friend come by and want to see! I love sand, despise the beach.

radar 12

First time poster here. I believe iI have the od green bug - trying to score a 1009 from a private owner and i must say i think your resto/revamp is slick. What type of a/c setup will you use? I can retrofit a 1009 with gm factory parts but will lose the dual alt. and i don't want to pay a grand from vintage air.

dc3coyote

The beach I love it. I actually run there every day..now that said. I REALLY hate the sand, but the scenerey is nice. ONTO your in luck the FL rally is held in central FL theres not much sand there just cow pastures and FL scrub brush.
I cant wait to see your new project Mike, and THANKS alot you got Brittany talking about me getting one for her to drive. Now her want list is bigger than mine.

mangus580

devilman96

Have you used this kit before ? Quality parts?
Hi radar, OD Iron is me, or I am ODI... how ever you want to say that.

The kits are made specifically for CUCV's and retain the stock alternator set up. I am using one of these kits plus a rear unit added in as I know from installing several of these now that just the front set up "works" but like any modern SUV, due to size, it really takes two units to work "well"...

its important to keep in mind that AC does not cool air by passing it over a cooling fin... AC extracts heat from the cab air with the evaporator and relocates it outside of the vehicle via the condenser. I point this out because there is a limit to what any system is capable of doing based on ambient air temp, vehicle temp, etc, etc.

The kits do work... Insulating the cab makes them work a LOT better... Using R12 v/s using R134 makes them work 20-30% better. New door and window seals make them work even better... Filling the roof and pillars with expandable foam helps, rubber floor mats with insulation is a must... What I am getting at is how well the systems work is really up to how capable your truck is of having AC.

The install is a real... ummm... treat!!! It is not a one day job, even with experience. Plan for a whole weekend and a buddy to help keep your sanity. Because of what the truck is, never being designed to have AC, along with the amount of fitting needed it takes time... holes need to be drilled... lines crimped... parts need to be fitted, etc. Its impossible to sell a full bolt it kit as there are different configurations to these trucks so heed to my warning and mentally prep yourself!!!

Otherwise, yes they are quality... They do work... and they do hold up and if you have any issues (only had one problem with a condenser so far) the issue will get fixed!!

There is more info with pics in this thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=20944

As for this truck that I am currently working on with the dual system... The price tag is about 1800$ and the amount of work to do it is more than most people would ever be willing to do no matter how great it works...

Someone mentioned something about all of this costing a pretty penny... Yeah it does... but realistically guys its like my deuce was. I've been buying parts for this build for WELL over a YEAR now, stock piling them, plotting, planing, scrounging, etc, etc, etc. ODI doesn't generate enough cash to even think about coving this project (and I didn't have ODI when I built Diablo) Its my pocket that feels it... we make a lot of sacrifices around the house to make this happen, all cash, no credit cards involved... If you start by buying parts, then buying a truck, then buying the detailed stuff for the truck BEFORE taking the truck apart anyone can afford to do work like this when you spread it out over 16-18 months before even starting... then all it takes is time and dealing with the hiccups!!! and oh yeah... lots of Red Bull!! Like Kenny says.. "that stuff tastes like $hit but it does it's job" rofl

Updates... I installed one of the electric window motors today, pretty cool set up, I think I can adapt the motor to the rear window too!!! Also started sorting out the computer system... fun fun... pics tomorrow maybe!

Crash_AF

Updates... I installed one of the electric window motors today, pretty cool set up, I think I can adapt the motor to the rear window too!!! Also started sorting out the computer system... fun fun... pics tomorrow maybe!
Why not just get the electric tailgate window setup from a civilian Blazer instead of modifying something?

Later,
Joe

devilman96

A few reasons...

20+ year old parts... or a new reg, motor and switch is over $600.... None of which is the greatest in design ether.

I went through the effort of replacing the lower rear sheet metal in the tail gate with 10 ga steel (damn rust!)... So mine is pretty bullet proof and ain't getting swapped out.

I couldn't find a civi tail gate with in 200 miles of me if I wanted to! So I'd have to ship it in from somewhere... and a guarantee it will be rusted!

Honestly... I am so impressed with the way these motors work I think they would be far better than the stock set up is.

Mod'ing the exhisting takes work... Installing the civi take work... I trust my mods more so than the civi set up.

Why not just get the electric tailgate window setup from a civilian Blazer instead of modifying something?

Later,
Joe

devilman96

OK some pics... Window motor installed, door lock also... I'm liking this set up!

Steering colum... completely dissembled, sand blasted, powder coated, switches all cleaned and lubed... ready to go back in.

The start on the computer... Micro ATX, 12V 360 watt power supply (designed for vehicle use), 500gb SATA drive (have 2), surround sound, HDMi video... all in a 11X11" foot print... Pretty sweet! It will have a full 8 gigs of RAM when installed, one terabyte of writable drive and will control almost everything in the truck. Should be pretty mind bending!

I also up'ed the anty so to speak and got a wireless router designed for broadband cards... When installed anyone with WiFi can use their computer inside or near the truck... It will be nice for the rally, kids, etc!!!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I also up'ed the anty so to speak and got a wireless router designed for broadband cards... When installed anyone with WiFi can use their computer inside or near the truck... It will be nice for the rally, kids, etc!!!
Great Mike, now Mang is gonna need to change his shorts and have a cigarette!

devilman96

Great Mike, now Mang is gonna need to change his shorts and have a cigarette!
Yeah I know... thats why the exhaust is going to be a stack up the side like a deuce, not a tail pipe with in his reach!!! We would have to spray him with a hose like a dog!!! rofl

Ditto to Gimpy. Mike your gonna have to limit his time near your truck. Man
I cant wait to see it.
Im looking into vehicle tazer systems!!!

I dont need him... My new cell phone has its own built in wifi router :)

Is it mud proof? LOL

radar 12

Thanks for the info DM . If I can get the guy to email me back , i want to go look at or even pick-up the 1009 this weekend if it's not cancer stricken too bad. frustrating:evil:

devilman96

Well here is a little slice of hell for anyone thinking about putting a 6.5 M998 engine into your CUCV!!! I took a LOT of pics, for those interested I'm sure they will get starred at for a while, ya kinda have to to comprehend the mess!

As you can see the heater box is done... Easy job!

The tunnel is getting smaller and smaller as I work on it, more angles will get added but I went very over sized compared to what HAD to be there... The idea was I can still get to the back of the engine to work on it without having to yank the out later on... IE you can get a ratchet on the back of the turbo, exhaust clamps, etc.

I'm still working on the driver side.... that gas petal mounting area is a lot of fun but its coming!

Finally got my engine parts in today!!!! Be nice to fire that up again over the weekend.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks