• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Build... Here We Go Again...

devilman96

Well... Sorry for the slowness in getting things posted... Ive been BUSY!

Lots of small stuff going on... I have so many parts, blasted, primed, painted, piled and waiting that you cant even walk in here!!!

Still nothing on cab corners... ugh... at least the assembly will go fast after I can get the body painted.

Went to Allen's (Aboonski) place this weekend and picked up the trans and TC assy I'm using... Really nice guy!!!! 400 mile trip... I dont know whom invented the Ford V10 engines but im thinking it was Exxon... 75 gallons of fuel... I'll drive that thing again when fuel hits $0.97 a gallon.

Front core support is together for prototyping... Took almost a day to fab up the brackets and get everything fitted into place... Yes I know... its a lot of fans... Ive been told!!! 2 for the engine... one for the AC and one for the trans cooler. I will use this as is to test run the engine again then the radiator will go to the shop for a core... The inside looks like a coral reef!

Engine's bottom end is back together... I'm waiting on valves to come in for the top end. Aluminum has been blasted and cleared with a flattening agent. Exhaust is powder coated...

On and on and on... I need a nap!

Attachments

aboonski

Well... Sorry for the slowness in getting things posted... Ive been BUSY!

Lots of small stuff going on... I have so many parts, blasted, primed, painted, piled and waiting that you cant even walk in here!!!

Still nothing on cab corners... ugh... at least the assembly will go fast after I can get the body painted.

Went to Allen's (Aboonski) place this weekend and picked up the trans and TC assy I'm using... Really nice guy!!!! 400 mile trip... I dont know whom invented the Ford V10 engines but im thinking it was Exxon... 75 gallons of fuel... I'll drive that thing again when fuel hits $0.97 a gallon.

Front core support is together for prototyping... Took almost a day to fab up the brackets and get everything fitted into place... Yes I know... its a lot of fans... Ive been told!!! 2 for the engine... one for the AC and one for the trans cooler. I will use this as is to test run the engine again then the radiator will go to the shop for a core... The inside looks like a coral reef!

Engine's bottom end is back together... I'm waiting on valves to come in for the top end. Aluminum has been blasted and cleared with a flattening agent. Exhaust is powder coated...

On and on and on... I need a nap!
Thanks for the honorable mention in your thread Mike! The pleasure of meeting you was all mine by the way. I do plan to be at the Florida rally this year and will take my M1008A1 unless I can get the knuckle boots replaced on my deuce. I do hope the tranny you got from me is helpful in your CUCV build.

Alan

devilman96

Some quick pics of the progress...

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of small parts... Doesn't make for a a lot of good pics but there is a LOT of work here... Everything is sandblasted, powder coated or sandblasted, primed and painted... It takes a while

Engine... I'm waiting on GM parts direct... *ugh* Went ahead and sprung for a new PS pump... I figured why have to see that again in this life time.

Body... I think crash is going to fix my lacking of cab parts here very soon.

Otherwise I'm up to 5 gallons of epoxy primer, which I'm pretty much done with...

3/4 of a gallon of color is gone...

5 gallons of bed liner...

17 cans of undercoating, and I need a good bit more...

Thing on their way...

12V 150PSI 1.4 GPM air compressor, that and a deuce tank will make a nice air system.... I'm sure a horn will follow!!!

Alarm... which I could care about... I was after the remote start feature. I hate going out to warm up the truck in the morning when its a frost biting 42 degrees outside! Kinda went all out on this one and got the 2 way communication LCD display type... So ya know the truck actually started when you hit the button.

Power window kits, automatic roll up when the alarm is armed. (hey why not)

B&M lock up module for the 700R4... speed sensor type, programable...

Otherwise... I really need to see some things go back together here pretty quickly... I'm getting VERY ANNOYED tripping over crap!!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would ya look at that! Some schmuck got the brilliant idea of tapping the shackle pins for bolts! Great idea Mike! BTW folks, I was by there a few days ago and it looks like T-Rex puked a blazer out all over the shop. Another note Mike, the coated cables I spoke of for attaching the hitch pins to the shackle pins, I have 2 more if ya want them. That is unless you're using some 24K herringbone stuff on them. LOL

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yur kiddin about that there 42 degrees... right? That's darn near shorts weather.

Looks like another really nice job.

Green_gator

Yur kiddin about that there 42 degrees... right? That's darn near shorts weather.

At 42 we cover the plants, hide in our houses and break out the heavy coats. There was a very light frost on the car Tuesday morning and my kids came in the room yelling "it snowed, it snowed!!!!!"

devilman96

Hey... you have been slacking on ideas for this build bub so I have to steal what I can from you!!! I'm still waiting for the last minute "know what you should do" do list!!! lol

Would ya look at that! Some schmuck got the brilliant idea of tapping the shackle pins for bolts! Great idea Mike! BTW folks, I was by there a few days ago and it looks like T-Rex puked a blazer out all over the shop. Another note Mike, the coated cables I spoke of for attaching the hitch pins to the shackle pins, I have 2 more if ya want them. That is unless you're using some 24K herringbone stuff on them. LOL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still waiting for the last minute "know what you should do" do list!!! lol

I'm holding out so that I can give you the "you know what you should have done" list!!!.
BTW I have a really cool retractable light for this project. All you need is to outfit it with LEDs.

devilman96

No I'm not kidding!!! My policy is I dont go outside if its under 50 degrees PERIOD! I'm Florida boy... I've been in snow once in my life while in Russia (one heck of a way to get introduced to the stuff) and I NEVER wanna see that again!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exception will be at the FL Rally. 2 years ago it got right near or in the 40s and he was outside. He wasn't complaining about my fires either!

dc3coyote

Yea Kenny, but last year when the weather was around 80 you still had a fire that could melt glass, I mean the fire was soo hot it was not wet any where near it, even with the rain.
Oh and as the cold goes...I heard we were gonna get the cold so I went farther south, now if only I had a MV down here I would never leave

devilman96

Man... today was one of those days...

GM Parts Direct is going to take about 10 more days to get my valves and pre combustion chamber here so I gave up on waiting to tunnel the cab... If you ever want to put a 6.5 with a rear turbo into one of these your in for a real treat!

I had a bit of a fit over the Trans TC mount until I realized what was up... Seems this one requires flipping the cross member over and using a different mount which would get rid of the TC skid plate (not gonna happen!!!) So I will need to fab up about a 4.5 inch mount to go in between... I'm also going to lower the cross member down 1.5 inches and help out this rear shaft angle a bit.

I plasma cut the fire wall out, might still trim off some stuff but more or less this is it. Need to pick up a sheet of 16ga to build the new wall out of. Not a lot of fun!! THe opening might look huge but dont forget the heads are not on the engine (which actually made this easier) and the exhaust supply for the turbo runs directly behind the heads... The space is needed!

It took some thinking and fitting but I managed to come up with a plan on the heat/defrost as I wasn't giving up ether of them!! I will need to stage the duct proton of the air box out 3 inches from its current straight configuration, cap the defrost connections with a duct fitting and mate the two back up.. If it wasn't for the AC it would be MUCH easier as you could just extend the heater core tubes and space the whole box off of the fire wall... Also had to test fit the AC ducting and air box... There will not be much for room when I get done under this dash! Nor will there be much of a glove box ether!

All of this is going to cut into the passenger floor space about 4.5 inches... Not to bad but more than I wanted... I could go less but I really think its better to give more space and fit in a heat shield than it is to go with out one.

Attachments

devilman96

More fun... I think SOMEONE needs to up the limit size on the number of pics you can attach in a single post... Especially being that HE is always asking for pics of what is going on!!!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks